oneBoro Forum
Denzel Zanzibar

Boro vs Crewe Alexandra (EFL Cup) 2-2 (Fletcher, Bola)Boro lose 4-2 on penalties

You would think this was a good time to do that. 

I suppose the alternative line of thinking is do you play a relatively full strength team, try and get that first win out of the way as a morale boost?

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I assumed that he'd make lots of changes, bringing the new lads in, the players that haven't had much game time and one or two youngsters.  

The Gazette released an article earlier saying Woodgate would make changes. 

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jonathan-woodgate-promises-middlesbrough-changes-16742267.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Could be immediately after the Brentford game, he maybe wanted to play a strong team. As Brunners said so we can pick up our first win.

But maybe after the dust has settled he has decided to go down the route of rotation.

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

I assumed that he'd make lots of changes, bringing the new lads in, the players that haven't had much game time and one or two youngsters.  

I reckon he probably wants to get the first win on the board so will be fielding a strong team, the 3 new lads are expected to be starters going forward so think we will see them with the senior players who haven't had a start yet mainly.

8 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Could be immediately after the Brentford game, he maybe wanted to play a strong team. As Brunners said so we can pick up our first win.

But maybe after the dust has settled he has decided to go down the route of rotation.

Yeah could be.  Might have been a bit of frustration after the defeat as well.

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

Yeah could be.  Might have been a bit of frustration after the defeat as well.

Definitely, my thinking too.

I don't think Walker will be involved at all tonight he missed the Villa U23 game a few days ago not sure if he had a setback after he came back vs Darlington.

Looking forward to Wood getting 90 minutes and it will be interesting if he goes with Liddle or Malley in Clayton's role if he has an eye on the rest of the season it would be Malley because I imagine Liddle's set for a loan move. Wearne's done brilliantly all summer but in a 433 he just doesn't fit which is a shame Graeme Lee's got him left of an attack cutting in but outside of 4231 I don't think he'll work effectively for us right now.

4 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

I don't think Walker will be involved at all tonight he missed the Villa U23 game a few days ago not sure if he had a setback after he came back vs Darlington.

Looking forward to Wood getting 90 minutes and it will be interesting if he goes with Liddle or Malley in Clayton's role if he has an eye on the rest of the season it would be Malley because I imagine Liddle's set for a loan move. Wearne's done brilliantly all summer but in a 433 he just doesn't fit which is a shame Graeme Lee's got him left of an attack cutting in but outside of 4231 I don't think he'll work effectively for us right now.

Walker was out on the pitch on Saturday pre-match training, looked fine to me. Imagine he was there to take someones place if they were injured, that would suggest to me he's a potential choice for tonight.

1 minute ago, mendieta420 said:

I don't mind who plays as long as Gestede is nowhere near the stadium.

?

Definitely starting tonight.  Only missed out on the captaincy because Friend is playing ?

A 2014-2015 Rudy Gestede is an asset to any Championship club. Bag a couple tonight and see how things work out.

2 minutes ago, Ayresome7 said:

A 2014-2015 Rudy Gestede is an asset to any Championship club. Bag a couple tonight and see how things work out.

I would suggest that it looks like the 14-15 Gestede was an anomaly and not the norm.

4 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Walker was out on the pitch on Saturday pre-match training, looked fine to me. Imagine he was there to take someones place if they were injured, that would suggest to me he's a potential choice for tonight.

His only game in 3 months was 2 weeks ago vs Darlington I don't think Graeme Lee thought he was ready for the PL2 kickoff vs Villa a few days ago can't see Woodgate thrusting him in the team myself I'd be surprised if he's on the bench I think they're being super cautious and monitoring him but we will see in a couple of hours.

Gestede leading the line will be fine as long as there's pace either side of him. I just don't like Gestede in the team because thing's become very *ithouse in our build up hopefully Woodgate's going to have Fletcher or Britt on the bench.

6 minutes ago, Ayresome7 said:

That was 5 years ago though.....

7 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I would suggest that it looks like the 14-15 Gestede was an anomaly and not the norm.

Gestede actually has a better minutes per Goal or Assist (174 minutes) than Britt (182 minutes) whilst playing for us in the Championship. He's really not as bad as everyone alludes to he's just a perma-crock...