oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson

I just wanted to get peoples thoughts on the current state of the club and it’s future, I’d say Steve Gibson’s tenure has been called into question more now than ever before. There are huge question marks beginning to appear like him pulling transfers for no specific reason and talks of him potentially getting ready to sell up soon. He promised in Woody’s unveiling that he backs all managers and in my opinion fell way short, after Woody got most of the fans back on board by himself. I personally don’t believe a word he said anymore, but I’d love to hear your lads opinions on it...

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had another look at the table, we currently sit below teams like Preston and Charlton (who are in and around the playoffs), Brentford, Blackburn, Luton, Millwall, Wigan and Hull.  I don't se

It’s the standard ‘one or the other’ paradox most boro fans seem to have, ‘WE NEED A DEFENSIVE MANAGER WE CANT KEEP A CLEAN SHEET!!!’ ‘NOW WE NEED AN ATTACKING MANAGER, WE CANT SCORE!!’ What we n

Sorry, but I can't agree with this. The vast majority of Boro fans recognise Gibson is a fan first and foremost. He loves the club so much he - with help from others - saved it in 1986, and he's earne

Posted Images

He's now a small fish in a large pond with the amount of Billionaires in the Championship and the distorted price of keeping a Championship club afloat. He'll continue to back the managers as best he can and we know that we'll always have a football team as long as he's in charge.

Would we be better with a super rich foreign owner in charge? Maybe, but attracting them to invest in a club situated in a run down area in the north east could be difficult. There's also no guarantee of success from extra investment, just look at the basket cases that some clubs have become: Forest, QPR, Birmingham, Hull, Sheff Wed.

• Like 7

I would like him to do what he used to do when he would be interviewed ie Radio Tees/Century and answer questions. Although obviously it hasn't been great for PR with the way his smash the league comment was interpreted and saying most of Stockton are Sunderland fans in another one. Bar Woodgates unveiling (when he denied us being in a poor financial position). I think it was 2 years since he was last asked questions about us in a public domain.

• Like 2

Out of his depth in the modern game, both financially and creatively.

I heard a story from someone who knows someone etc....... they spoke to Gibson a couple of years ago and asked him if he'd ever sell the club. He apparently said he'd sell the club tomorrow if anyone would buy it. 

* this might not be true but just passing on what I was told. * 

I personally feel like it's coming towards the end of an era at the football club. Who knows how it would go with another owner, I'd guess probably worse but right now it feels like we need fresh ideas somehow. 

9 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Out of his depth in the modern game, both financially and creatively.

I heard a story from someone who knows someone etc....... they spoke to Gibson a couple of years ago and asked him if he'd ever sell the club. He apparently said he'd sell the club tomorrow if anyone would buy it. 

* this might not be true but just passing on what I was told. * 

I personally feel like it's coming towards the end of an era at the football club. Who knows how it would go with another owner, I'd guess probably worse but right now it feels like we need fresh ideas somehow. 

I believe this. I am convinced he is getting his ducks in a row to sell up in the next year or so.

I'm a younger fan and as such happen to speak to many younger fans, Gibson's become sadly a bit of a joke among the young fans I've spoken to, and many have been very critical about how he's run the club in recent years. 

Myself I think he's trying too hard to run the club like he did when he first took charge, and has refused to move with the times 

20 minutes ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

I would like him to do what he used to do when he would be interviewed ie Radio Tees/Century and answer questions. Although obviously it hasn't been great for PR with the way his smash the league comment was interpreted and saying most of Stockton are Sunderland fans in another one. Bar Woodgates unveiling (when he denied us being in a poor financial position). I think it was 2 years since he was last asked questions about us in a public domain.

I can't understand why people continue to bring up the "smash the league" quote. He actually tried to do that. He spent more than 50 million that summer. He got the manager wrong and that was the end of the season. I absolutely believe that he did what we could that summer and spent an outrageous amount of money.

We've not had the best of windows but so be it if the money isn't there anymore due to two year of horrific mismanagement. What I don't understand are his quotes from Woodgates unveiling. I get that he'd like agent and other clubs to know that we aren't desperate, but he could have worded it much better. Why give hope that Woodgate is going to be backed like the previous managers. That's a question I'd like him to answer. He sat there knowing that we needed to sell for millions and get high earners off the books and that there was no money available unless significant outgoing transfers were made.

This is worrying though because I’ve always been under the assumption that if he were to sell the club, he would only sell to someone who he truly believed would have as much passion for the club as he does or like  the Man City owners do for example and run the club well with a lot more finances. Him saying “he’d sell it tomorrow” sounds like he would flog it off to anyone 

Previous posters have made spot in points to be fair, he way I see it he saved the club, continues to keep it afloat and made us competitive for a good number of years, the biggest period of success has come under him and I've known no different in my 24 years on this earth. The face of football has changed, it's no longer a millionaires game and I think he's a chairman from a different era. His decisions of late have been poor and for me the gloss has gone, I believe for Middlesbrough to move forward his role needs to reduce and the club needs someone with more money and fresh ideas, obviously that doesn't guarantee success but change needs to happen one day, sooner the better in my opinion. 

There's no one else in the world that would be willing to finance the huge pit of burning cash known as Middlesbrough football club. 

Everyone wants to point the finger and say someone is to blame, when in reality we're at the level we should be.

You've only got to look down the road at our neighbours Newcastle and Sunderland for much worse owners.

• Like 2

I would guess at the end of this season with Friend, Howson, Randolph, Britt probably gone the club will be almost sustainable. That might be the point at which the club can be sold.

It will be interesting if we get some genuine folk interested. We are a decent bet and have good infrastructure.

43 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

There's no one else in the world that would be willing to finance the huge pit of burning cash known as Middlesbrough football club. 

Everyone wants to point the finger and say someone is to blame, when in reality we're at the level we should be.

You've only got to look down the road at our neighbours Newcastle and Sunderland for much worse owners.

The biggest contrast to Sunderland is Short just decided that he wasn't putting anymore funds in and the club were *** straight away with no possible survival due to who they had on their books etc. 

If indeed Gibson is planning on selling, I at least appreciate he is still putting day-to-day money into the club to allows us to compete in the Championship, while also transitioning us to a more sustainable/attractive prospect  from a selling pov. 

1 hour ago, mendieta420 said:

Why should we be at this level? 

We've spent the majority of our history in the top 2 divisions, why shouldn't we aim to do what the likes of Burnley and Brighton are doing? Both are similar resourced clubs to us. 

We've gone from the Premier league to Championship also rans in a couple of years and the club seem to have convinced some people that things are being well run behind the scenes. 

• Like 3

And yet there are people in the world willing to finance the likes of Bournemouth, Leicester, Watford etc.  I think it's perhaps worth considering that one of the reasons it's a 'huge pit of burning cash' is because somebody sanctioned us spending more than we should have been.

• Like 2

The days of Gibson being an unquestionable messiah in the eyes of the fans is over. His decision making and staff choices in recent years have been suspect and the football uninspiring.

However we're in a highly competitive business where 80% of teams supporters think their owners are failures because the fans are not where they want them to be. For every small club enjoying success in the premier league you can point to 5 such teams of a similar stature toiling in the EFL etc.