oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson

1 hour ago, Boro 86 said:

I am of the school that says that those accusing of letting us down are ingrates and have short memories. Gibson has spent millions over the years giving us a team and we are a top end champo/bottom end prem type club because of him not despite him IMO.

It all well and good quoting other teams but there are reasons foreign/rich owners bought them and I also look enviously at the fact we are beaten to players by the likes of Reading/QPR but I think our current model is spot on. After all who is actually queuing up to buy us?

We should be careful what we wish for as there but for the grace of Gibbo we could be a Bolton/Sunderland/Pompey etc

We could also be like Wolves or Burnley too, it depends which way you look at it

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had another look at the table, we currently sit below teams like Preston and Charlton (who are in and around the playoffs), Brentford, Blackburn, Luton, Millwall, Wigan and Hull.  I don't se

It’s the standard ‘one or the other’ paradox most boro fans seem to have, ‘WE NEED A DEFENSIVE MANAGER WE CANT KEEP A CLEAN SHEET!!!’ ‘NOW WE NEED AN ATTACKING MANAGER, WE CANT SCORE!!’ What we n

Sorry, but I can't agree with this. The vast majority of Boro fans recognise Gibson is a fan first and foremost. He loves the club so much he - with help from others - saved it in 1986, and he's earne

Posted Images

I said the other day that I'd like to see him put the club up for sale just to see what interest there is if nothing else.  I think what I'd really like though is a certain amount of transparency with exactly what's going on.  It'd also be nice to feel like the fans aren't being taken for granted and over the past few years I think we kinda have been.

38 minutes ago, Randy Sandwich said:

We could also be like Wolves or Burnley too, it depends which way you look at it

Wolves owners are billionaires. You could argue that Burnley are the exception to the rule but as much as it grates you have to take your hat off to them for doing so well on limited means 

I am not saying Gibbo is above criticism though ... far from it but I just think that some of it is unwarranted

Game of opinions though 

Without Gibson we probably wouldn't have a club, without him we probably wouldn't have won the cup in 2004 and probably wouldn't have been in a position to get to a European final.

But he is also a huge factor in our decline post Mclaren, overspending and ultimately not being sustainable. We racked up close to £100 Million in debt during this period. That led to key players leaving, like Schwarzer (amongst others), due to us trying to cut costs. Then you have the whole Southgate fiasco running at the same time. Which ultimately got us relegated. 

Then we decided to go down the route of over spending to get us out of the League (sounds familiar) with Stratchan. Which ultimately failed.

But he was then rumoured to be putting in over £1 Million of his own money per month to keep us a float under Mowbray. Then you have the recent history which I think has been pretty well covered.

Like I said before we appointed Woodgate, I think this much the same as when we appointed Mowbray. I just hope this time we make a real go of trying to become a self-sustaining football club (as much as it pains me to say like Burnley). That may not mean we are successful, but it would mean we continue to have a club.

29 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I said the other day that I'd like to see him put the club up for sale just to see what interest there is if nothing else.  I think what I'd really like though is a certain amount of transparency with exactly what's going on.  It'd also be nice to feel like the fans aren't being taken for granted and over the past few years I think we kinda have been.

I think there would be a fair amount of interest in us if we were to sell. Over the last few years there has been some interest. We had interest from Chien Lee few years back

3 hours ago, Boro 86 said:

I am of the school that says that those accusing of letting us down are ingrates and have short memories. Gibson has spent millions over the years giving us a team and we are a top end champo/bottom end prem type club because of him not despite him IMO.

It all well and good quoting other teams but there are reasons foreign/rich owners bought them and I also look enviously at the fact we are beaten to players by the likes of Reading/QPR but I think our current model is spot on. After all who is actually queuing up to buy us?

We should be careful what we wish for as there but for the grace of Gibbo we could be a Bolton/Sunderland/Pompey etc

I agree for the most part with this, what Steve Gibson has done for this football club can never be questioned, he's the reason we still have a football club. We have some fantastic years in the PL.

There's no doubt Gibson has lost his way a bit and its not only down to the financial side of things but poor managerial decision making. it started with the season under Southgate which I  still believe we've never totally recovered from.The last relegation season, Karanka goes and Agnew is put in charge, at least bring someone in with managerial experience in who may have given us a fighting chance. The appointment of Monk turned out to be a disaster then god forbid Tony the dinosaur Pulis. This is all down to Gibson and the incompetent yes men he has surrounded himself with he should have got rid of these clueless clowns.

Should Gibson sell the club, I would hope not, because he's always had the interests of this football club at heart, both as a chairman and a supporter, you look at Blackburn, Sunderland and Bolton disastrous, so Gibbo is now having to cut  the cloth accordingly that's how it is.  

• Like 2

Aside from how Gibson has done recently and whether he should sell. The point that is often made is who would buy us? We’re actually a really attractive proposition - own our own stadium, good training facilities, debt free (aside from Gibson, so no creditors to negotiate with), good record for youth (and no big teams in our catchment area), saleable assets (Fry, Britt, Randolph), good history and a passionate fanbase (most the time). The only negatives are our recent style (boring so doesn’t attract tv money), prem earners (most off the book next year) and location (as in a long way from London/Manchester) for attracting players. 

I would certainly class us as attractive as Barnsley, Wolves, Brentford, etc were at the point of takeover. Looking at the list above, I wonder if Gibson is reducing the wage bill with half an eye on a sale - it pumps up the cash flow metrics (earnings will be negative) and therefore the valuation. No difference to a buyer coming in between us finishing 7th and 19th this season...

What you've got to remember with these foreign Billionaire owners, they don't live over here anyway. The ones that actually come to games usually fly straight in and out. 

It's not like we'd be asking a new owner to buy a house on Teesside. So I'm not sure that our location in terms of attracting an investor is that important. 

The problem for us is attracting players to the area but if you were paying enough money then I'm sure they would come here. 

3 minutes ago, Duvel said:

What you've got to remember with these foreign Billionaire owners, they don't live over here anyway. The ones that actually come to games usually fly straight in and out. 

It's not like we'd be asking a new owner to buy a house on Teesside. So I'm not sure that our location in terms of attracting an investor is that important. 

The problem for us is attracting players to the area but if you were paying enough money then I'm sure they would come here. 

Which of course, is why the club is now skint!

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Which of course, is why the club is now skint!

Of course but I'm talking about a hypothetical situation where Bill Gates buys the club ?

2 minutes ago, Randy Sandwich said:

It's also the reason we used to get a lot of our players - unfortunately that meant we had players who only came for the money

It's the same for most clubs though, I'm sure none of the Wolves players dreamed of living or playing in Wolverhampton. 

2 minutes ago, Duvel said:

It's the same for most clubs though, I'm sure none of the Wolves players dreamed of living or playing in Wolverhampton. 

5 minutes ago, Duvel said:

There's a huge difference between dreaming of living somewhere and being happy with where you are staying due to your job.