• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had another look at the table, we currently sit below teams like Preston and Charlton (who are in and around the playoffs), Brentford, Blackburn, Luton, Millwall, Wigan and Hull.  I don't se

It’s the standard ‘one or the other’ paradox most boro fans seem to have, ‘WE NEED A DEFENSIVE MANAGER WE CANT KEEP A CLEAN SHEET!!!’ ‘NOW WE NEED AN ATTACKING MANAGER, WE CANT SCORE!!’ What we n

Sorry, but I can't agree with this. The vast majority of Boro fans recognise Gibson is a fan first and foremost. He loves the club so much he - with help from others - saved it in 1986, and he's earne

Posted Images

Well even with Wolverhampton you'll be living in proximity to the second largest city in the UK. The north-east in comparison is pretty sparse, I feel like most footballers prefer city life.

12 minutes ago, Randy Sandwich said:

There's a huge difference between dreaming of living somewhere and being happy with where you are staying due to your job. 

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make? 

The Wolves players are happy because of their good working environment but players here wouldn't be?

4 minutes ago, Foogle said:

Well even with Wolverhampton you'll be living in proximity to the second largest city in the UK. The north-east in comparison is pretty sparse, I feel like most footballers prefer city life.

Wouldn't they just live in Newcastle if thats what they are seeking? I've never been there but read plenty of reports about the city from various media regarding shopping, clubbing etc.

15 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

My biggest gripe at the moment is the constant contradictions. I just want some honesty and transparency. We are people who care about the club and at the moment it feels like we are all being treated like idiots.

Agree with this. Gibsons fault is saying the wrong things. Was there really a need to say so explicitly that the club is in good shape and that he was ready to back Woody like any manager before him? If only he had been a little more candid and closer to the truth the fans wouldn't really have been complaining about the window and lack of at least one decent winger signing. I appreciate that he can't say the club is skint and we are only looking at league 1 bargain buys and that Woodgate isn't getting anything, but also there is no need to say the complete opposite when it's apparent to everyone that it isn't true.

15 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Wouldn't they just live in Newcastle if thats what they are seeking? I've never been there but read plenty of reports about the city from various media regarding shopping, clubbing etc.

Lived in Newcastle for 4 years and it is a great city for all those things (shame about the football though), but it is about 50 miles away from Middlesbrough, It's a similar distance between Leeds and Middlesbrough too. They're not in close proximity but are commutable distances at least.

7 minutes ago, Foogle said:

Lived in Newcastle for 4 years and it is a great city for all those things (shame about the football though), but it is about 50 miles away from Middlesbrough, It's a similar distance between Leeds and Middlesbrough too. They're not in close proximity but are commutable distances at least.

Is that about a 50 minute drive in a luxurious car? That shouldn't really be a problem for a footballer with the working hours they have if it is indeed a big modern city he wants to live in or if it's what the family wants. Plenty of people have an hours drive to work. But I suppose we will always be up against London, but I don't think location is a problem vs. Burnley, Sheffield, Derby and whatever we should measure against. It's a relatively short stay with a 2-4 year contract so it's not like it's for life.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Foogle said:

I'm sure they do but even though city life is a lot more vibrant its also not a patch on the Mediterranean lifestyle. 

Why would footballers leave places like Barcelona or Seville to come to England? 

It's simple they come here for the challenge of playing in a better league and earn more money. We could offer both if we were in the Premier league with a wealthy chairman. 

Ok we might be behind London, Liverpool and Manchester for the best players but we could still attract good players here without them being complete mercenaries. 

Look at Mendieta he spent years here after retiring, Queudrue is back here all the time. The North East is a great place to live, it isn't the toilet of England that some people want everybody to think it is.  

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make? 

The Wolves players are happy because of their good working environment but players here wouldn't be?

To be honest I was trying to make sense of your point about wolves. 

You said you were sure Wolves players didn't dream about living in Wolverhampton in response to me saying we've only attracted most of our players over the years with money.  

I'm nut sure if we gave them a happy working environment -  I know people like Paul Merson Struggled, you'd have to ask them. 

Edited by Randy Sandwich
1 hour ago, Duvel said:

What you've got to remember with these foreign Billionaire owners, they don't live over here anyway. The ones that actually come to games usually fly straight in and out. 

It's not like we'd be asking a new owner to buy a house on Teesside. So I'm not sure that our location in terms of attracting an investor is that important. 

The problem for us is attracting players to the area but if you were paying enough money then I'm sure they would come here. 

That kind of investor sounds awful to me, personally. We want to maintain a connection with the club and the club should want to maintain a connection with the area. Gibson isn't doing a great job of that but why should a foreign investor who doesn't even spend time in the area beyond going to games?

Not to say it's impossible to generate that connection. But at least if the fans want to send Steve Gibson a message, he's in the stadium and around the area. He can play dumb for fans booing a manager, I don't think he'd like it if he was clear those boos were at him.

For now though, nowhere near enough people care. The fans are still singing his name. And whilst they do that, he's not going to feel unwelcome, he's going to feel like one of us. Clearly that's regardless of what he does.

10 minutes ago, Randy Sandwich said:

To be honest I was trying to make sense of your point about wolves. 

You said you were sure Wolves players didn't dream about living in Wolverhampton in response to me saying we've only attracted most of our players over the years with money.  

I'm nut sure if we gave them a happy working environment -  I know people like Paul Merston Struggled, you'd have to ask them. 

I'm talking about what we could offer a player in comparison to Wolves if we had a similar owner and a club that was well run. If we were ran properly with a good manager we could also create a good working environment.

My initial point was that Wolves are not a well known club abroad and it's not a place that will instantly attract players (like here to be fair). 

In terms of the past I'm sure we attracted certain players with a combination of money and 'the project'. We had some bad foreign players and some very professional ones. 

Merson didn't think a lot of the environment here but I think his problems started before he got here to be fair.

7 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

That kind of investor sounds awful to me, personally. We want to maintain a connection with the club and the club should want to maintain a connection with the area. Gibson isn't doing a great job of that but why should a foreign investor who doesn't even spend time in the area beyond going to games?

Not to say it's impossible to generate that connection. But at least if the fans want to send Steve Gibson a message, he's in the stadium and around the area. He can play dumb for fans booing a manager, I don't think he'd like it if he was clear those boos were at him.

For now though, nowhere near enough people care. The fans are still singing his name. And whilst they do that, he's not going to feel unwelcome, he's going to feel like one of us. Clearly that's regardless of what he does.

I'm not calling out for one of those owners I'm just making the point that an oil rich Sheikh wouldn't be exactly be living in Grove Hill. 

Edited by Duvel
6 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I'm not calling out for one of those owners I'm just making the point that an oil rich Sheikh wouldn't be expected to live in Grove Hill. 

***, if you don't like us from Grove Hill, you don't deserve us from Dubai.

24 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I'm talking about what we could offer a player in comparison to Wolves if we had a similar owner and a club that was well run. If we were ran properly with a good manager we could also create a good working environment.

My initial point was that Wolves are not a well known club abroad and it's not a place that will instantly attract players (like here to be fair). 

In terms of the past I'm sure we attracted certain players with a combination of money and 'the project'. We had some bad foreign players and some very professional ones. 

Merson didn't think a lot of the environment here but I think his problems started before he got here to be fair.

Ah right, yes I agree then, got my wires crossed - certainly with a similar owner and structure we could attract similar players yes, there are some nice places to live out of town too. 

So are you hoping he's trying to sell the club? 

There is no room for sentiment in football these days. 

Yes, Gibson has and always will be remembered for saving the club and for footing the bill for our campaigns and recent successes. However, if he is unable to do so, Middlesbrough will stand still. Just because he saved us, doesnt give him a position where blame cannot be put at his door. He must shoulder some of the blame, and rightly so. 

In an ideal scenario, he would take us up and we could live as a premier league team with him at the helm, but his football decision making is hampering his ability of achieving this goal. 

You look back at moments which have defined our 'recent' History. Appointing Southgate, not backing Karanka in the January of the prem season and appointing Pulis. No one else made those decisions but him and as a result have hampered our successes. I'd also point out the transfer dealings but I'm not 100% sure who's final say these are.

In summary, just because he has hero status, doesnt mean he hasnt done things wrong.