oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson

1 hour ago, Rioch's Braves said:

Regardless of what mistakes Gibson has made and he's made quite a few, the fans would vote overwhelmingly to keep Gibbo at the helm. What Steve Gibson has done for this football club is nothing short of miraculous , since being in charge the positives far outweigh the negatives, as a fan/supporter grateful doesn't cut it in my eyes.   

That’s why nothing will ever change at this club, fans will sit back while the owner makes mistake after mistake and won’t ever be challenged because of what he did 30 years ago 

• Like 5
  • Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had another look at the table, we currently sit below teams like Preston and Charlton (who are in and around the playoffs), Brentford, Blackburn, Luton, Millwall, Wigan and Hull.  I don't se

It’s the standard ‘one or the other’ paradox most boro fans seem to have, ‘WE NEED A DEFENSIVE MANAGER WE CANT KEEP A CLEAN SHEET!!!’ ‘NOW WE NEED AN ATTACKING MANAGER, WE CANT SCORE!!’ What we n

Sorry, but I can't agree with this. The vast majority of Boro fans recognise Gibson is a fan first and foremost. He loves the club so much he - with help from others - saved it in 1986, and he's earne

Posted Images

Even more than not backing him in January, the spend in the summer window was far too low.

Promoted clubs have to invest big to upgrade the squad to establish (Watford, Bournemouth, Brighton, Wolves, even Burnley). But they have to invest wisely too (unlike Fulham)

Gibson set the budget too low in summer 2016 and backed a Recruitment team to acquire poorly.  Major strategic errors.

Monk's spend represented a much bigger gamble the next summer, but was appallingly wasted by poor judgement.

Pulis' reign has been another financial shocker of precious money spent on rubbish.

Some of his footballing decisions have been absolutely crazy. He must look back and think he really ballsed stuff up since promotion under Karanka.

His managerial appointments have mostly been extremely poor. Even McLaren, yes he did well but he had the club at its most ambitious and richest, I will always wonder what Terry Venables could have done had he taken the job with the money McLaren had. I reckon higher than 7th with that team. 

Anyway, it does feel like we are entering the final chapter of Steve Gibson's reign. Considering he has been with us for over 30 years that final chapter could last a good 5+ years yet.

6 hours ago, jamesp said:

By not backing him in January. We only needed a few players and we would have been fine, instead we sign Gestede, Bamford and Guedioura. Look at similar size clubs such as Bournemouth, Southampton, Burnley, Watford, Palace, Brighton who are thriving in that league. That should have been us as well if the right decisions had been made that year

We got a few players - not the quality required but was that entirely Gibson's fault?. Thats a combination of a number of factors one of which is the inability of the Club to attract the targets. We can argue those reasons why we didn't - not enough money paid out is what you are saying but clubs like ours, Sunderland and Newcastle are increasingly finding it hard to bring young talent to the North East in competition with other Premier League Clubs. Note the Clubs you list above. With the exception of Burnley ( who are run exceptionally) they are all southern clubs. So we go back to the argument that we have to pay more, a thing we are finding increasingly difficult to do. Steve Gibson reduced the Clubs debt with the equity injection a few seasons ago - he then went on to say that he didn't want to see the Club in such a situation again. It is therefore assumed that we have seen the last of the glory days for now unless we can find a "billionaire" to take us back to the days of being a little fish competing with the big boys. 

• Like 1

The manner in which this subject has been discussed has been noted on the fmttm forum with a thread being introduced there due to how you all have conducted yourselves and with oneBoro in the title opener.

Well done to all who have contributed and thank you

9 hours ago, Boranup said:

Even more than not backing him in January, the spend in the summer window was far too low.

Promoted clubs have to invest big to upgrade the squad to establish (Watford, Bournemouth, Brighton, Wolves, even Burnley). But they have to invest wisely too (unlike Fulham)

Gibson set the budget too low in summer 2016 and backed a Recruitment team to acquire poorly.  Major strategic errors.

Monk's spend represented a much bigger gamble the next summer, but was appallingly wasted by poor judgement.

Pulis' reign has been another financial shocker of precious money spent on rubbish.

I'm sure we invested far more than Burnley and Hull did in that window? I think we did suffer from buying too many players, not in the right positions and from foreign leagues who didn't hit the ground running. 

In the January window would we really have stayed up if we'd got Jese or Bojan, did they even want to come? We agreed a fee for Snodgrass but he preferred West Ham, so it's not like we weren't willing to back Karanka. We were already a split dressing room on a downward trajectory. 

9 hours ago, jamesp said:

That’s why nothing will ever change at this club, fans will sit back while the owner makes mistake after mistake and won’t ever be challenged because of what he did 30 years ago 

What Gibson did 30 years ago, and the 11 consecutive years in the PL, the league cup win, finalists in a major European competition and the 2 trips to Wembley. His made  many mistakes which I've questioned time and time again, particularly in his managerial appointments but his commitment to this football club should never be questioned, he's the reason we've still got a football club and I'm not talking about 30 years ago I'm talking about our period in the Championship when he kept this club afloat. I won't say some on here have short memories I'll call it convenient memories.  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Kiwi in London said:

We got a few players - not the quality required but was that entirely Gibson's fault?

Hmm, talking about that window in particular, maybe not. But that for me was the start of a process that has shown signs of poor recruitment, spending, scouting, the lot. It's not like that window has been a one off.

I'm not sure it can be argued that Gibson is in any way trying to alter the process of recruiting players that we need. He sanctioned a £7m deal for a central midfielder we didn't in any way need yet apparently wouldn't stump up cash for players we did. I know the Bolasie deal was a bloody dreadful one but so was Saville. It's clear we went far above our valuations for him given we originally wanted both him and Wallace for the same price, if not less. Why did we not at least look to Wallace with that kind of money instead? Even then a bad deal would have left us with a player that added to the ranks where we needed it most.

And goodness me, I'll say again, who on Earth can look back on the Fletcher deal and say we showed any sign of negotiation nous? They were publicly taken aback by the deal, they weren't even coy about it and we still followed through. More money than sense comes to mind.

A large part of people's problems with Gibson is not just individual things, not pulling apart one or two windows. It's an inability to change when something is going wrong. Pulis lost the fans for him and he supposedly still wanted to keep him at a wage he probably wouldn't offer any other candidate? Recruitment has been dodgy ever since that window in the PL and we've basically swapped Victor Orta with Adrian Bevington since then, is that an acknowledgement that he feels there are problems in the process? Personally, I don't think so.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Erimus 63 said:

What finished Gibson off was when he got divorced and  the huge financial settlement with his ex. I don't think he's been the same bloke since.

Men never learn how to write a decent prenup? My ex made the same mistake.....

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Rioch's Braves said:

What Gibson did 30 years ago, and the 11 consecutive years in the PL, the league cup win, finalists in a major European competition and the 2 trips to Wembley. His made  many mistakes which I've questioned time and time again, particularly in his managerial appointments but his commitment to this football club should never be questioned, he's the reason we've still got a football club and I'm not talking about 30 years ago I'm talking about our period in the Championship when he kept this club afloat. I won't say some on here have short memories I'll call it convenient memories.  

So is that a good reason to let him take the club back to that place without questioning his decisions?

Gibbo's popularity with the fans is only going to get worse, we're obviously not going to be near the play offs this season so we're back to midtable mediocrity like before Karanka, but it's absolutely not Woody's fault, and then next season is when we'll asset strip and sell half the squad I fear

Randolph, Fry, Shotton, Assombalonga, Clayton, Saville, Gestede, Johnson, most if not all won't be here next season imo

Then there's the likes of Howson, Fletcher, Wing, Tav, McNair, Ayala and Friend where if the bid's right who knows

There's a good £35-40m worth of players to be sold but how much of that would go into replacing them, half the absolute maximum I'd guess to rebuild a lot of the first team and squad. It's doable at Brentford but for us I highly doubt it 

21 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

Gibbo's popularity with the fans is only going to get worse, we're obviously not going to be near the play offs this season so we're back to midtable mediocrity like before Karanka, but it's absolutely not Woody's fault, and then next season is when we'll asset strip and sell half the squad I fear

Randolph, Fry, Shotton, Assombalonga, Clayton, Saville, Gestede, Johnson, most if not all won't be here next season imo

Then there's the likes of Howson, Fletcher, Wing, Tav, McNair, Ayala and Friend where if the bid's right who knows

There's a good £35-40m worth of players to be sold but how much of that would go into replacing them, half the absolute maximum I'd guess to rebuild a lot of the first team and squad. It's doable at Brentford but for us I highly doubt it 

Really can't see us allowing us to let go of that many players next summer. Think this summer has gone a lomg way to go in terms of actually balancing the books. 

At the end of the 19/20 season we have 6 senior players who are out of contract; Ayala, Shotton, Friend, Johnson, Howson and Gestede. The money in those players contracts alone will be more than enough to put us on a very even keel. 

Unless ridiculous offers come in for Randolph, Fry, Wing and Britt I don't think we will have any real pressure to sell (from a financial sense). As I believe for the 20/21 season we will be in a very good position in terms of being self-sustaining and from a FFP stand point. 

That's before we consider the January transfer window, as we may see some players leave at that stage (Gestede and Saville) seem like likely candidates to go in Jan.

The very public spat with the Evening Gazette was quite embarrassing to read. The articles that appeared on the MFC website to refute the accuracy of Gazette stories seemed very 'small time' and unnecessary when the club could simply have contacted the paper privately to ask for certain statements to be edited for accuracy. Two Gazette journalists were also unable to access the press areas at the Riverside, I think, and presumably also Rockliffe. Gibson would surely have been involved in this. 

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/mfc-clarification-of-premier-league-payments