oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson

2 minutes ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

I agree with you 100% mate to be honest though my gut feeling is that he has given up on the ppl of Teeside in general and is solely focusing on himself.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here, I've already said in another thread that Boro fans have been spoilt over the years, the fact that when we can only use profit to buy and  we can't even afford two loan signings shows where we are as a club - a small town in Teesside. 

How long can you go on every season trying to fulfil the fans expectations and falling short, getting criticism where you are used to adulation?

Also social media has its effect, where before it the minority would be drowned out by the faithful and unless there were huge vocal protests (the end of the Robson era rings a bell)  it was pretty much "Stevie Gibson is king" - now it's got to the point where not only can he see the constant criticism etc of him, the club and his staff, his daughter even got abuse too from our so called "fans". 

The Riverside is now a toxic place at times, the unrest and the boos replacing the excitement, cheers and songs - thank God for the red faction, I dread to think what the atmosphere would be like without them. 

We have some great fans, we also have some absolute tossers - I have to admit if this was my club of 30 years and taking all this into account I'd probably want to tell the "fans" to shove the club where the sun doesn't shine and go back to being a milti millionaire fan. 

I don't worship SG and never have but I genuinely wouldn't blame him if he's had enough and wants rid and good luck to him if he does - I'm certainly grateful for what he's done for the club and as I have over the years will still support the Boro - even if we end up in league 2.

• Like 5
  • Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had another look at the table, we currently sit below teams like Preston and Charlton (who are in and around the playoffs), Brentford, Blackburn, Luton, Millwall, Wigan and Hull.  I don't se

It’s the standard ‘one or the other’ paradox most boro fans seem to have, ‘WE NEED A DEFENSIVE MANAGER WE CANT KEEP A CLEAN SHEET!!!’ ‘NOW WE NEED AN ATTACKING MANAGER, WE CANT SCORE!!’ What we n

Sorry, but I can't agree with this. The vast majority of Boro fans recognise Gibson is a fan first and foremost. He loves the club so much he - with help from others - saved it in 1986, and he's earne

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Randy Sandwich said:

I'm going to play devil's advocate here, I've already said in another thread that Boro fans have been spoilt over the years, the fact that when we can only use profit to buy and  we can't even afford two loan signings shows where we are as a club - a small town in Teesside. 

How long can you go on every season trying to fulfil the fans expectations and falling short, getting criticism where you are used to adulation?

Also social media has its effect, where before it the minority would be drowned out by the faithful and unless there were huge vocal protests (the end of the Robson era rings a bell)  it was pretty much "Stevie Gibson is king" - now it's got to the point where not only can he see the constant criticism etc of him, the club and his staff, his daughter even got abuse too from our so called "fans". 

The Riverside is now a toxic place at times, the unrest and the boos replacing the excitement, cheers and songs - thank God for the red faction, I dread to think what the atmosphere would be like without them. 

We have some great fans, we also have some absolute tossers - I have to admit if this was my club of 30 years and taking all this into account I'd probably want to tell the "fans" to shove the club where the sun doesn't shine and go back to being a milti millionaire fan. 

I don't worship SG and never have but I genuinely wouldn't blame him if he's had enough and wants rid and good luck to him if he does - I'm certainly grateful for what he's done for the club and as I have over the years will still support the Boro - even if we end up in league 2.

Good post Randy

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Randy Sandwich said:

very good post mate and extremely fairly put across . 

5 hours ago, Randy Sandwich said:

I wouldn’t blame him either, a section of our fans will just moan about anything and everything, however there is just nothing about this club to get excited about at the minute and that’s more down to decisions Gibson and his employees have made, not just this summer but multiple seasons worth.

I think the fans are more vocal because it’s not like we’re flat broke, we’ve blew through £100m+ and have still came out the other side ***. Not to mention watching us play for a 0-0 draw in a play off semi, spending more money on pointless/terrible players and having a full season of watching poor football while being constantly patronised.

He needs to take a look at himself before blaming fans, we are where we are because of his decisions.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Randy Sandwich said:

The financial health of the club is solely down to Gibson and nobody else.  It has little to do with us being a small town in Teesside.  In the last 3 years we have received about £180m from TV rights alone.  The total income over that period is probably somewhere around the £240/250m mark, possibly even more.  There's no reason at all why this football club should be in bad shape financially with these sorts of numbers.  You get to that point by screwing things up.

Perhaps him being used to adulation is part of the problem?  You get adulation when things are going well, it doesn't continue when things are going wrong I'm afraid and expecting it to do so would be bloody stupid.

Steve Gibson's daughter didn't get abuse from our so called fans.  She got abuse from some of our so called fans and I'd guess it was a fraction of one percent of our fans at that.  That there are idiots on social media shouldn't be news to anyone as it appears to be full of idiots but that isn't restricted to Boro, Boro fans or even football.

The Riverside is nothing like you describe.  The last 18 months have been tough watching because some people occasionally like to see a bit of football for the money they've handed over.  Bloody snobs!  For the most part however what we've had at the Riverside is apathy rather than a toxic atmosphere, which is why I think that Saint Steve thought he could get away with keeping Pulis on as manager.  You're banging on about the Crewe game as though that's the norm when it isn't.  That was a game against a team two divisions below us where we played poorly.  That's not merely my opinion, that's also what our Head Coach thinks.  I can remember seeing us being beaten by lower league sides in the past and I don't remember people being happy about it.  So either you don't get to many games, which I don't believe, or you're being oddly forgetful about things that have gone before?

All of this is complicated by the fact that we appointed a manager/head coach that a lot of people didn't want to see in the job.  We then appear to have pulled the rug out from under him during the summer transfer window.  There are some people who aren't going to be happy about that and like it or not that means if/when things go wrong that we're going to hear about it from them.  I still think that Gibson wanted Pulis rather than Woodgate and I believe that shows a complete disregard for the fans so no I won't be sending adulation his way any longer.  A couple of years ago I wouldn't have wanted anyone but him as our owner but that's changed now and that's really down to him at the end of the day.  If he doesn't like it, well, tough ***.

• Like 7
11 minutes ago, Blanco said:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/final-week-bury-fc-how-my-club-came-brink-extinction

An article on how Bury have been run into the ground. Steve Gibson is priceless for Boro.

What a dreadful situation, I had no idea what was really going on at Bury until reading that and it makes for awful reading. Imagine if that was our club. Right now, I think we're light-years away from that.

And what on Earth is this hot mess all about!?

Many admonish the EFL for taking a hardline stance after approving Dale’s takeover, but as his ownership began mid-season, he didn't have to pass the ‘fit and proper person’ test and now runs the club entirely on his own.

That's bloody diabolical.

• Like 2

Too many owners see lower league clubs as a way to make money. Coventry, Bolton, Bury, Leyton Orient and Northampton have all faced disappearing at some point in the last 5 years (There are probably a lot more examples too).

Locally for me in the last decade Rushden and Diamonds and Kettering Town both went bust due to poor ownership and have since reformed. Northampton were also on the brink at one point, before being saved. Coincidentally they also got promoted whilst their future financially was up in the air. More annoyingly the Northampton saga has an even murkier story as the football club borrowed £10 Million from the council to redevelop the ground, which subsequently went missing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-northamptonshire-48635993

1 minute ago, Blanco said:

Wow that is shocking. Definitely corruption went on there. 

It's crazy, an MP is implicated in it too. What's worse is something like £1 Million of public money has been spent to investigate the whole situation. And £10 Million of public money has disappeared. I knew someone who worked for the building company hired to redevelop the stadium. They told me after about £2 Million worth of work had been completed they never received any payments. So it's almost as if, from Day 1 the money had gone.

• Wow 1
19 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Too many owners see lower league clubs as a way to make money. Coventry, Bolton, Bury, Leyton Orient and Northampton have all faced disappearing at some point in the last 5 years (There are probably a lot more examples too).

Locally for me in the last decade Rushden and Diamonds and Kettering Town both went bust due to poor ownership and have since reformed. Northampton were also on the brink at one point, before being saved. Coincidentally they also got promoted whilst their future financially was up in the air. More annoyingly the Northampton saga has an even murkier story as the football club borrowed £10 Million from the council to redevelop the ground, which subsequently went missing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-northamptonshire-48635993

It's been going on a long time too - closer to the Boro, there was the saga of George Reynolds' time at Darlington, complete with building a 25,000 seater stadium for a team at the bottom of the league structure that quickly became an albatross round their neck and helped plunge them into administration. So many stories out of that time still to be told...

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Changing Times said:

The financial health of the club is solely down to Gibson and nobody else.  It has little to do with us being a small town in Teesside.  In the last 3 years we have received about £180m from TV rights alone.  The total income over that period is probably somewhere around the £240/250m mark, possibly even more.  There's no reason at all why this football club should be in bad shape financially with these sorts of numbers.  You get to that point by screwing things up.

Perhaps him being used to adulation is part of the problem?  You get adulation when things are going well, it doesn't continue when things are going wrong I'm afraid and expecting it to do so would be bloody stupid.

Steve Gibson's daughter didn't get abuse from our so called fans.  She got abuse from some of our so called fans and I'd guess it was a fraction of one percent of our fans at that.  That there are idiots on social media shouldn't be news to anyone as it appears to be full of idiots but that isn't restricted to Boro, Boro fans or even football.

The Riverside is nothing like you describe.  The last 18 months have been tough watching because some people occasionally like to see a bit of football for the money they've handed over.  Bloody snobs!  For the most part however what we've had at the Riverside is apathy rather than a toxic atmosphere, which is why I think that Saint Steve thought he could get away with keeping Pulis on as manager.  You're banging on about the Crewe game as though that's the norm when it isn't.  That was a game against a team two divisions below us where we played poorly.  That's not merely my opinion, that's also what our Head Coach thinks.  I can remember seeing us being beaten by lower league sides in the past and I don't remember people being happy about it.  So either you don't get to many games, which I don't believe, or you're being oddly forgetful about things that have gone before?

All of this is complicated by the fact that we appointed a manager/head coach that a lot of people didn't want to see in the job.  We then appear to have pulled the rug out from under him during the summer transfer window.  There are some people who aren't going to be happy about that and like it or not that means if/when things go wrong that we're going to hear about it from them.  I still think that Gibson wanted Pulis rather than Woodgate and I believe that shows a complete disregard for the fans so no I won't be sending adulation his way any longer.  A couple of years ago I wouldn't have wanted anyone but him as our owner but that's changed now and that's really down to him at the end of the day.  If he doesn't like it, well, tough ***.

Outstanding post Changing Times.

7 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Bloody hell mate, I'm knackered and that is a lot to take in. So, for me, where I sit and the people around me - that's how I find the Riverside - I'm buzzing that you get a more wholesome experience.  

I'm "banging on about the Crewe game in the Crewe thread - I thought that was the point of the thread. 

You seem to have taken this as me defending Gibson,  I'm not, far from it - I was just pointing out that I can actually see why he could be fed up with certain fans. As for his daughter - are you really picking me up on grammar, you genuinely thought I meant every fan?  So either you're a lot dumber than I thought (which I know you're not) or just being a bit of a knob.  

That's all I've got - I'm whacked. 

No, I'm not being a knob ? 

You keep making generalisations that to me simply aren't true.  The toxic atmosphere being one of them then this stuff about his daughter.  It's nonsense quite frankly as the atmosphere isn't that bad and she wasn't being hammered by lots of fans but rather a few idiots.  It's possible that this alone would be enough to colour Gibson's thinking and if it was then I actually wouldn't blame him either but it is just a few idiots and not a reflection of the entire fan base.

I know you weren't defending him.  As you said you were just playing devil's advocate and you made some reasonable points.  I just felt that there were some points that could be made in response to them so that's what I did ?

5 hours ago, Blanco said:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/final-week-bury-fc-how-my-club-came-brink-extinction

An article on how Bury have been run into the ground. Steve Gibson is priceless for Boro.

Have you got any similar articles on Burnley, Brighton, Bournemouth, palace, Leicester, Watford?

All have surpassed us since our relegation in 09, got promoted and established themselves as premiership teams.

Or do we only look at the bad side of different owners to support certain agendas?

’Gibson is priceless to this club’

Hes certainly been priceless to villa and gestede, add West Ham to that aswell.