oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson

1 hour ago, LinoJo3 said:

Have you got any similar articles on Burnley, Brighton, Bournemouth, palace, Leicester, Watford?

All have surpassed us since our relegation in 09, got promoted and established themselves as premiership teams.

Or do we only look at the bad side of different owners to support certain agendas?

’Gibson is priceless to this club’

Hes certainly been priceless to villa and gestede, add West Ham to that aswell.

You are obviously one of the entitled. You think that everything should be rosy at all times in the Boro garden. Give me a choice between a billionaire owner who does well (like city) which is rare or a local owner who makes mistakes but loves the club I’d take the local owner every time. You really do need to wake up and smell the roses 

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had another look at the table, we currently sit below teams like Preston and Charlton (who are in and around the playoffs), Brentford, Blackburn, Luton, Millwall, Wigan and Hull.  I don't se

It’s the standard ‘one or the other’ paradox most boro fans seem to have, ‘WE NEED A DEFENSIVE MANAGER WE CANT KEEP A CLEAN SHEET!!!’ ‘NOW WE NEED AN ATTACKING MANAGER, WE CANT SCORE!!’ What we n

Sorry, but I can't agree with this. The vast majority of Boro fans recognise Gibson is a fan first and foremost. He loves the club so much he - with help from others - saved it in 1986, and he's earne

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Blanco said:

You are obviously one of the entitled. You think that everything should be rosy at all times in the Boro garden. Give me a choice between a billionaire owner who does well (like city) which is rare or a local owner who makes mistakes but loves the club I’d take the local owner every time. You really do need to wake up and smell the roses 

Think that’s a difference of opinion between you and most others. I’d much rather be in City’s position - not for the winning (though that would be nice) but for the exciting Europe nights and the attacking , flowing football. The idea of a “local” club is pretty old fashioned - and even when we were doing really well under Gibson (late 90s early 2000s) I don’t think the emphasis was on being a local club, - Juninho and Emerson were not from Redcar! (Facetious  - but we weren’t exactly full of local players!). The local club narrative is something the club have spun out in the last ten years to justify spending less than rivals. Other teams have a good youth team and are in better touch with the fans than us. If Gibson is really building a community club then why keep a manager everyone hates? play abysmal football that no one wants? and then, after backing a cheap, inexperienced manager, pull the rug from under him on deadline day? Gibson looks on the way out to me - or at least hopelessly outmatched in the transfer market. I think if selling is an option and it is one that he should take. Give him a knighthood, a stand and a statue, but it feels like time to move on.

Edited by BegSteeleOrBoro
  • Like 2

Absolutely ridiculous to even suggest you'd prefer a local owner who is passionate about the club but skint over an owner who could help build your club into one of the biggest and most successful in the world.

Unless you're some sort of weird football masochist. But if you were you'd support someone like Hartlepool, surely.

Don’t know if this is the place to put this but, after the panic of selling our best players before deadline day, isn’t that the model everyone seems to want? Buy cheap, develop, sell our new favourite player for a profit? 

Well thankfully we did not sell our best players. Boro though seem limited in where they get the cheap players you mentioned, others tend to find gems from abroad.

This would be better in the transfer window post mortem thread as it has been discussed there.

Keep this as a SG related thread

50 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Absolutely ridiculous to even suggest you'd prefer a local owner who is passionate about the club but skint over an owner who could help build your club into one of the biggest and most successful in the world.

Unless you're some sort of weird football masochist. But if you were you'd support someone like Hartlepool, surely.

Well over here in Ireland people do think that I’m some sort of football masochist for supporting Boro.

Maybe I didn’t explain myself as clearly as I could have. I meant I would prefer the local owner who cares about the club against the gamble of a different owner who might throw money at it initially but then get bored and then dump us with tonnes of debt.

I still remember 1986 too clearly and don’t ever want the risk of going back there. I don’t think that will happen under SG.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Blanco said:

Why does everyone always have to jump straight to this ‘entitled’ ***? *** me for hoping the club I support might make a bit of progress or even spend £100m wisely. We don’t just make mistakes, we make the same basic mistakes over and over, get a bit of money and throw it at anyone with a name, end up having to ‘cut our cloth’ languishing around with the likes of Wigan.

Its not about getting a billionaire, I want someone to run the club properly.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Why does everyone always have to jump straight to this ‘entitled’ ***? *** me for hoping the club I support might make a bit of progress or even spend £100m wisely. We don’t just make mistakes, we make the same basic mistakes over and over, get a bit of money and throw it at anyone with a name, end up having to ‘cut our cloth’ languishing around with the likes of Wigan.

Its not about getting a billionaire, I want someone to run the club properly.

There's been no bigger supporter than Gibson than me, but you make an excellent point with regard to running the club, non of these billionaires run the club, they have knowledgeable football men/women around them who do it for them. I just wish Gibson had someone who could sit him down and drum into him that the people who he's surrounded himself with are incompetent fools who are clueless. Whole top and bottom of it we're carrying a lot of dead wood, it seems a Boro accent goes a long way regardless of how bad you are at your job.

3 hours ago, Blanco said:

Well over here in Ireland people do think that I’m some sort of football masochist for supporting Boro.

Maybe I didn’t explain myself as clearly as I could have. I meant I would prefer the local owner who cares about the club against the gamble of a different owner who might throw money at it initially but then get bored and then dump us with tonnes of debt.

I still remember 1986 too clearly and don’t ever want the risk of going back there. I don’t think that will happen under SG.

Spot on, for me Blanco.

Surely if you're right DZ then we should all support City? Or maybe if you just want the journey, support Bournemouth? Brentford? Support a club that is trying to punch above its weight but doing it well? If it's about avoiding masochism then surely we wouldn't be supporting our local team at the expense of those who have done what you want our club to do well? Or supporting a team who we've found and grown to love, if not based on the local nature of why we follow them, shown by our supporters from around the world? Why do we support Boro over someone else right now if pain is something we ultimately want to avoid? Why don't we move on to the club where they do the thing we want to see every season?

We want our club to do well because of how we are connected to them, we put ourselves through the current misery because we already maintain the connection to them and if you speak to people outside our circles, they think we're mad to put up with it during these horrible times.

But I'll tell you now, I'd rather experience the masochism during the difficult times than be sat there thinking which club I need to move on to follow in future. I understand some don't seem to care what comes next so long as the current regime is taken apart because it's obviously so dreadful that it needs to happen; to hell with your point of view, for me. I need Middlesbrough FC in my life more than a lot of things, it's part of my system. And when you look around and see people picking up clubs and running them into the ground taking never-ending risks trying to reach the promised land, I despair. I wonder what fans of those clubs must feel like who just want a club to follow and go and see or listen to on a weekend.

I imagine Middlesbrough without a football club, it's bloody depressing. Far more depressing than having an owner who can't spend his money properly but ultimately stops at the point where the risk becomes too great for our future. Our owner takes risks and makes mistakes, he's done it for years now. But we're still there, we're still competing in the top 2 divisions too, we're not at risk of getting kicked to the bottom of the football ladder and have to make our way back up. Having an owner who will first and foremost avoid that situation is enough for me to not want rid of him.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Spot on, for me Blanco.

Surely if you're right DZ then we should all support City? Or maybe if you just want the journey, support Bournemouth? Brentford? Support a club that is trying to punch above its weight but doing it well? If it's about avoiding masochism then surely we wouldn't be supporting our local team at the expense of those who have done what you want our club to do well? Or supporting a team who we've found and grown to love, if not based on the local nature of why we follow them, shown by our supporters from around the world? Why do we support Boro over someone else right now if pain is something we ultimately want to avoid? Why don't we move on to the club where they do the thing we want to see every season?

We want our club to do well because of how we are connected to them, we put ourselves through the current misery because we already maintain the connection to them and if you speak to people outside our circles, they think we're mad to put up with it during these horrible times.

But I'll tell you now, I'd rather experience the masochism during the difficult times than be sat there thinking which club I need to move on to follow in future. I understand some don't seem to care what comes next so long as the current regime is taken apart because it's obviously so dreadful that it needs to happen; to hell with your point of view, for me. I need Middlesbrough FC in my life more than a lot of things, it's part of my system. And when you look around and see people picking up clubs and running them into the ground taking never-ending risks trying to reach the promised land, I despair. I wonder what fans of those clubs must feel like who just want a club to follow and go and see or listen to on a weekend.

I imagine Middlesbrough without a football club, it's bloody depressing. Far more depressing than having an owner who can't spend his money properly but ultimately stops at the point where the risk becomes too great for our future. Our owner takes risks and makes mistakes, he's done it for years now. But we're still there, we're still competing in the top 2 divisions too, we're not at risk of getting kicked to the bottom of the football ladder and have to make our way back up. Having an owner who will first and foremost avoid that situation is enough for me to not want rid of him.

Great post @wilsoncgp

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Great post @wilsoncgp

Excellent post Blanco, this football club has broke my heart more than any women has but I'm still supporting them despite the many times I've said enough is enough, before renewing my season ticket. Masochist no, just the love of a football club since a kid, so I'll take the highs and the lows and roll with the punches. and I'll still be there  moaning when things go wrong, its what we do.

• Like 2

That’s my whole point though @wilsoncgp we don’t HAVE to be in this position but we are because of downright bad planning. 90% of supporters last summer could have spent that £20m better than the so called professionals. We are operated so amateurishly and it’s made even more frustrating because in Gibson we have the perfect platform to be doing so much better than we do, yet we constantly trip ourselves up in the most ridiculous ways possible.

8 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

Excellent post Blanco, this football club has broke my heart more than any women has but I'm still supporting them despite the many times I've said enough is enough, before renewing my season ticket. Masochist no, just the love of a football club since a kid, so I'll take the highs and the lows and roll with the punches. and I'll still be there  moaning when things go wrong, its what we do.

A depressing post for me Blanco.

Let's just sing he's the king despite him making a complete balls of running the club for over a decade, just because he is local and another owner might make even worse decisions.

1 hour ago, Boranup said:

A depressing post for me Blanco.

Let's just sing he's the king despite him making a complete balls of running the club for over a decade, just because he is local and another owner might make even worse decisions.

Nowhere did I say let's sing his name through his bad decisions, I said I'm not going to push him out if he gets some things wrong. Because there's bad decisions and there's "Oh ***, we haven't got a club" and whilst it's not happening to every club, it still happens far too often for my liking. We know where we are with Gibson and in an era of football where every potential owner can give it their all for a couple of years before realising football isn't as simple as buying your way to the big bucks and leaving a club in a mess for someone worse off to try and work around, I'm happy enough just to exist and have my team to listen to or watch.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, LinoJo3 said:

That’s my whole point though @wilsoncgp we don’t HAVE to be in this position but we are because of downright bad planning. 90% of supporters last summer could have spent that £20m better than the so called professionals. We are operated so amateurishly and it’s made even more frustrating because in Gibson we have the perfect platform to be doing so much better than we do, yet we constantly trip ourselves up in the most ridiculous ways possible.

90% of supporters know how to spend £20m? Would you count yourself in that? Far too easy to say, far less easy to prove. We'd have spunked money we don't have on Eze if you'd had your perfect way this summer.

New ownership wouldn't inevitably mean we do things better as some on here like yourselves seem to want me and others to believe. It means that we pick up the pointer of where we are on the spectrum of how well to run a club, however far up or down that scale we currently are, and we drop ourselves back down on a random point along that scale. We could end up better, worse or in the exact same place. That is a risk I'd not at all be willing to take at this point, we're simply not being run badly enough to justify that risk being taken.

• Like 2