oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

better

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

90% of supporters know how to spend £20m? Would you count yourself in that? Far too easy to say, far less easy to prove. We'd have spunked money we don't have on Eze if you'd had your perfect way this summer.

New ownership wouldn't inevitably mean we do things better as some on here like yourselves seem to want me and others to believe. It means that we pick up the pointer of where we are on the spectrum of how well to run a club, however far up or down that scale we currently are, and we drop ourselves back down on a random point along that scale. We could end up better, worse or in the exact same place. That is a risk I'd not at all be willing to take at this point, we're simply not being run badly enough to justify that risk being taken.

Damn right I’d count myself in that and I wouldn’t have sounded money we don’t have on eze, providing the bid was good enough I’d have sold Randolph or Britt and recycled that money.

It’s not even hard to prove, we had a tight budget, a ton of midfielders, spent £7m on saville. I wouldn’t even have looked at saville as a purchase, saving £7m straight off the bat, I wouldn’t have paid £2m to loan hugill either. 

If we aren’t being run badly enough then why are we in this position after having almost £200m pass through the club in the last 3 years? Sorry I just can’t agree with any of your points.

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had another look at the table, we currently sit below teams like Preston and Charlton (who are in and around the playoffs), Brentford, Blackburn, Luton, Millwall, Wigan and Hull.  I don't se

It’s the standard ‘one or the other’ paradox most boro fans seem to have, ‘WE NEED A DEFENSIVE MANAGER WE CANT KEEP A CLEAN SHEET!!!’ ‘NOW WE NEED AN ATTACKING MANAGER, WE CANT SCORE!!’ What we n

Sorry, but I can't agree with this. The vast majority of Boro fans recognise Gibson is a fan first and foremost. He loves the club so much he - with help from others - saved it in 1986, and he's earne

Posted Images

1 minute ago, LinoJo3 said:

Damn right I’d count myself in that and I wouldn’t have sounded money we don’t have on eze, providing the bid was good enough I’d have sold Randolph or Britt and recycled that money.

It’s not even hard to prove, we had a tight budget, a ton of midfielders, spent £7m on saville. I wouldn’t even have looked at saville as a purchase, saving £7m straight off the bat, I wouldn’t have paid £2m to loan hugill either. 

If we aren’t being run badly enough then why are we in this position after having almost £200m pass through the club in the last 3 years? Sorry I just can’t agree with any of your points.

So you'd have sold our best keeper and best striker for some sum of money you don't know what you'd get and spent whatever that was on Eze which you also don't know how much we'd have to spend on. Alright.

We have spent a lot of money, very little of it well. But we have a club still, if you'd rather take the risk of getting someone who doesn't care about keeping the club alive if they get it wrong, that's your prerogative mate. I like having the security of knowing we'll still be here regardless of who makes mistakes at the top of the club. We've cut our cloth because we have to. Part of the risk is that other owners simply won't. But I cannot understand how anyone can look at some football clubs, some actively going through the problem I'm citing, and seemingly think it's not a risk.

15 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

So you'd have sold our best keeper and best striker for some sum of money you don't know what you'd get and spent whatever that was on Eze which you also don't know how much we'd have to spend on. Alright.

We have spent a lot of money, very little of it well. But we have a club still, if you'd rather take the risk of getting someone who doesn't care about keeping the club alive if they get it wrong, that's your prerogative mate. I like having the security of knowing we'll still be here regardless of who makes mistakes at the top of the club. We've cut our cloth because we have to. Part of the risk is that other owners simply won't. But I cannot understand how anyone can look at some football clubs, some actively going through the problem I'm citing, and seemingly think it's not a risk.

Of course I don’t know what offers we got, you asked me a question that’s impossible to answer as every answer I’d give you can just say ‘ah but your just guessing’.

If the height of your ambition is to just ‘have a club’ then that’s down to you, you can concentrate on clubs failing if you want but your yet another person who refuses to balance out your argument by looking at clubs who have prospered aswell. I still remember the 14/15 season when we all laughed at Burnley and Dyche, they have *** all over us when it comes to functioning as a football club.

31 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Of course I don’t know what offers we got, you asked me a question that’s impossible to answer as every answer I’d give you can just say ‘ah but your just guessing’.

If the height of your ambition is to just ‘have a club’ then that’s down to you, you can concentrate on clubs failing if you want but your yet another person who refuses to balance out your argument by looking at clubs who have prospered aswell. I still remember the 14/15 season when we all laughed at Burnley and Dyche, they have *** all over us when it comes to functioning as a football club.

The balance isn't just between clubs who prosper and those who fail, it's also with those who stand still. As I said, it's an entire spectrum that we open ourselves to and we're going to randomly drop ourselves onto. It's not just get better or get worse.

And yes, I'm not going to argue other clubs have done better than us, it's hardly something that can be argued.

I am absolutely balancing my argument against us prospering by the way. I'm balancing it by saying no matter where we are on the spectrum of how well a football club can be run, moving is just as likely, if not more likely to see us land somewhere worse than we are right now, somewhere that leads to not having a club that needs to be run any more. That is the risk and it's one some want to take and fair enough, but I absolutely understand why most don't want that.

Worst of all... this forum wouldn't exist!

We are run poorly. No consistent football philosophy, no consistent transfer strategy, a bewildering selection of recent managers, and little communication with the fans. We have had £200m and now are desperate to get mediocre players off the books. After working for promotion, we went down with an absolute whimper. Not all clubs are well run- but we are no example! 

Edited by BegSteeleOrBoro
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, BegSteeleOrBoro said:

We are run poorly. No consistent football philosophy, no consistent transfer strategy, a bewildering selection of recent managers, and little communication with the fans. We have had £200m and now are desperate to get mediocre players off the books. After working for promotion, we went down with an absolute whimper. Not all clubs are well run- but we are no example! 

The club is very badly run. You were right, we do know where we are with Gibson at the helm. 4th bottom with a poor squad and going backwards. 13 years of bad decisions, with 3 of them as catastrophically bad.

7 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Nowhere did I say let's sing his name through his bad decisions, I said I'm not going to push him out if he gets some things wrong. Because there's bad decisions and there's "Oh ***, we haven't got a club" and whilst it's not happening to every club, it still happens far too often for my liking. We know where we are with Gibson and in an era of football where every potential owner can give it their all for a couple of years before realising football isn't as simple as buying your way to the big bucks and leaving a club in a mess for someone worse off to try and work around, I'm happy enough just to exist and have my team to listen to or watch.

Who's trying to push Gibson out? 

Or Gibson could get someone in to run the club properly? Which is what I think would be the best solution, we keep Gibson but have somebody who can run the club (football side) better and devote more time to it.

I thought the whole point was that you know that's not going to happen. Gibson will run the club the way he always has; his way. If it was just about getting someone in to help him with football decisions then I don't think many of us could disagree with that. But that's not entirely what this is about otherwise we wouldn't have been debating the positives and negatives of getting rid of him.

Honestly think Gibson doesn't have the funds anymore. Nowadays top end Championship players can go for £20million, we didn't even spend that sort of money in the PL! Unfortunately the gravy train has passed us by and once you stop competing off the pitch it's very hard to compete on it. Think the club will view not getting relegated as a success this season

39 minutes ago, BoroJoey said:

Honestly think Gibson doesn't have the funds anymore. Nowadays top end Championship players can go for £20million, we didn't even spend that sort of money in the PL! Unfortunately the gravy train has passed us by and once you stop competing off the pitch it's very hard to compete on it. Think the club will view not getting relegated as a success this season

That’s just not true, £70m spent since relegation, £50m in one summer. We have the money we just don’t know how to spend it.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I thought the whole point was that you know that's not going to happen. Gibson will run the club the way he always has; his way. If it was just about getting someone in to help him with football decisions then I don't think many of us could disagree with that. But that's not entirely what this is about otherwise we wouldn't have been debating the positives and negatives of getting rid of him.

I thought it was just a general discussion about the chairman rather than a debate about whether we want rid of him. I don't think many have said they want him out. 

I agree with the point above, I'd rather he got some help on the football side of things than sell up. Maybe you're right and that will never happen, it's his choice but at the moment we look more likely to become a League 1 team than a Premier league team. If everyone is ok with that then fine. 

• Like 1

A lot of people are unsure about the unknown and some, if not most of us, have only the ownership of the club under Steve Gibson to rely on.

The day has to come at sometime unless it is a family handover where we become the first club to have a female Chairperson and his daughter is handed the reins.

Could it be worse? I suppose it could be but the worrying aspect voiced by so many is that no-one actually seems to be interested.

Those named players we had hoped to get in the window, were they advised somewhere along the line not to come by other parties?

Think myself that this is probably the most important season for Mr Gibson in terms of direction and stability of MFC and he should consider being more transparent with regards to the supporters of our club

7 hours ago, LinoJo3 said:

That’s just not true, £70m spent since relegation, £50m in one summer. We have the money we just don’t know how to spend it.

How much then? £5m? £10m, £20m? I'm pretty sure if we had the money we wouldn't of replaced the amount of players we lost with £3.5m worth of signings, all from lower leagues.