oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson

To me Gibson is a control freak. He's given top jobs to all of his mates and has surrounded himself with yes men who'll never question his decisions at all. He had the perfect opportunity to do something different and hire a manager who'd motivate fans to return and the players to do well and instead just banked it all on Woodgate potentially coming good. 

Absolute travesty how we blew our chance in the premier League and he refused to back the manager who got us there and was willingly giving Agnew more chance. 

I worry hell give Woodgate the full season, even if we drop to League 1. If we do that'll kill us, running costs and wages would be a killer and we'd have a firesale of all of our best players to simply stay afloat. 

Depressing. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had another look at the table, we currently sit below teams like Preston and Charlton (who are in and around the playoffs), Brentford, Blackburn, Luton, Millwall, Wigan and Hull.  I don't se

It’s the standard ‘one or the other’ paradox most boro fans seem to have, ‘WE NEED A DEFENSIVE MANAGER WE CANT KEEP A CLEAN SHEET!!!’ ‘NOW WE NEED AN ATTACKING MANAGER, WE CANT SCORE!!’ What we n

Sorry, but I can't agree with this. The vast majority of Boro fans recognise Gibson is a fan first and foremost. He loves the club so much he - with help from others - saved it in 1986, and he's earne

Posted Images

For me the only way our long term future improves is with a new owner. It's been said before but Gibbo is a small fish in a massive ocean and the effects are being felt now. The grass isn't always greener but we are more of a muddy field now.

We could easily be staring another decade in the championship if not even a stint in league 1 the way this season is going. With that comes a drop in value, income and interest in the club and not to mention the impact on his reputation. 

• Like 1

I don’t think it’s about how much money he has or hasn’t got, we’ve still outspent most championship clubs and even outspent half the premiership after we came down.

Its not how much money we have but the how we USE the money that’s the problem.

We are operated inefficiently

• Like 4
1 hour ago, LinoJo3 said:

I don’t think it’s about how much money he has or hasn’t got, we’ve still outspent most championship clubs and even outspent half the premiership after we came down.

Its not how much money we have but the how we USE the money that’s the problem.

We are operated inefficiently

Totally agree, saying Gibson doesn't have the money to compete is a kop out for him. We've spent plenty of money, we've just wasted it.  

• Like 5

We got promoted whilst spending big under Gibson 4 years ago, and we failed to get promoted whilst spending even bigger under Gibson in the last 2 years.

It seems to be a commonly repeated fallacy that we can't compete anymore despite spending more than most Championship clubs every season.

It's decisions and appointments that are letting the club down, not money.

• Like 2

He should of stuck and backed Karanka when it went slightly wrong in the premiership as even if we went down Karanka would of spent the monk money alot better and probably would of gotten us promoted

A column in the Sunday Mirror with regard to Woodgate from  Gibson " I didn't give the job to Jonathan because he's from Middlesbrough and I didn't give it to him because he's young, he's worthy of it, the rest are just bonuses.

Gibson further adds "A decade ago we finished 11 consecutive seasons in the Premier League. I don't think the club's best years are behind us, I think they're in front of us. We've just changed the way we do things a little bit" "We've brought in Jonathan and there needs to be patience from both sides. There will be".

Reading into that, regardless of results Woodgate is going absolutely nowhere.

17 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

He should of stuck and backed Karanka when it went slightly wrong in the premiership as even if we went down Karanka would of spent the monk money alot better and probably would of gotten us promoted

Yes it was a pity he never gave AK some of that money a few months earlier in the January window.Maybe AK would have kept us up then. It just shows the loyalty he gave Karanka  no money in January to help him out but as soon as Monk took over he spends 50 mill on players.

Obviously looking back at the stats I believe AK was possibly the best manager that Boro ever had  apart from McClaren's Cup.

• Like 1

I have mentioned before I would like a fan forum/Radio Tees etc to have an open discussion with Gibson like he did on the 3 legends years ago. I think more fans would be accepting or the recent plight with open and honest discussion about where we are and what we are trying to do. His denial of any financial struggles during JWs appointment interview contradicted what we did during the transfer window. That said I cant see it happening given the reception he had after the "smash the league" and "more Sunderland fans in Stockton" have led to a lot of criticism post the interviews. 

• Like 1

Karanka wasn't all that. He did well in the championship, but even then we only just scraped up and it certainly wasn't because we were playing lavish football. He also benefitted massively from Victor Orta & us generally being pretty consistent in the transfer market. Then he completely bottled it in the Prem, after almost bottling it in the Championship.. it makes me question people's sanity when they're calling for us to get him back. He'd probably do better than Woodgate yeah, but it'd be straight back to playing the functional football that everyone supposedly hated under Pulis.. bit of a contradiction.

Anyway, it certainly does seem like Gibson has lost his way.. and the backroom staff that worry me more than Woodgate.. surely he needed an experienced assistant, not Robbie Keane. And a few really decent coaches - bringing in the Uruguayan dude from Karanka's era was just a desperate attempt at fan-service really - it would've been like playing 'super Dimi' just because of all the Facebook-tards.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, chickenlunch said:

He'd probably do better than Woodgate yeah, but it'd be straight back to playing the functional football that everyone supposedly hated under Pulis.. bit of a contradiction.

Never underestimate the ability of a football fan to warp their thinking. Fans ultimately want attractive and effective football and they want it now. When they have neither, they reminisce back to the happiest recent days, even though it didn't ultimately provide what they want. People want Karanka because he's the only manager since McClaren to give us good memories, every other manager including himself has given us bad ones. Which brings me back to a debate that raged last season when we ultimately had neither attractive not effective football; would people rather us play attractively and falter or effectively and succeed. Last year, a lot of people had so much vitriol for Pulis that they'd happily have taken the former. Now we have a manager in charge who wants to try and give them that and because we aren't doing it yet, people want to go back to unattractive but effective football. Contrary to popularly held opinion last year, intent means nothing if you can't do it well immediately. So bring back Karanka, the one who, despite playing a way nobody can stand any longer, made people happy. 

• Like 5

I’d have Pulis back tomorrow but am willing to give Woodgate the season even though the Birmingham game has worried me a lot. We have absolutely no shape to our play and that should be showing by now IMO.

36 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I’d have Pulis back tomorrow but am willing to give Woodgate the season even though the Birmingham game has worried me a lot. We have absolutely no shape to our play and that should be showing by now IMO.

Appreciate it’s your opinion but I struggle to understand how anyone could want Pulis the first time, let alone a second time - unless you’re a masochist.

1 minute ago, HoyteForLeftBack said:

Appreciate it’s your opinion but I struggle to understand how anyone could want Pulis the first time, let alone a second time - unless you’re a masochist.

Even in the less impressive second season, by the 11th game we had won 6, drawn 4 and lost 1, whilst scoring 14 goals and conceding 4.

This season we've won 2, drawn 4, lost 5, whilst scoring 11 and conceding 16.

The start of last season was far more entertaining than this one, despite what people try to tell themselves. It definitely declined under Pulis as the season went on, but we had a very decent start. It took us till December to concede this many goals, and we scored more too.

Hopefully Woodgate's reign improves as much as Pulis' reign declined.