oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson

The very fact that there’s even a thread about this on OneBoro speaks volumes. Three years ago, Steve Gibson could still walk on water. We were not only satisfied that he was at the helm, we were proud of it. We looked askance at the chairmen of other clubs and felt a sense of real pride when the media spoke of him in glowing terms.

It has taken those three years to get where we are now. After blaming a succession of under-achieving managers – with the notable exception of Aitor Karanka – and bickering about the relative merits, or demerits, of various players, it has finally sunk in that it’s not them who were to blame but the people who employed them.

And none of this has been helped by a frosty silence. When Gibson refuses to talk to the fans it could be interpreted as arrogance, lack of respect, or plain stupidity. Whatever the reason, the result is a loss of faith. He could turn that around in an instant by explain the reasoning behind his decisions and talking to the fans mano a mano. But the longer he refuses to do that, the more arrogant he’s perceived to be.

• Like 2
  • Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had another look at the table, we currently sit below teams like Preston and Charlton (who are in and around the playoffs), Brentford, Blackburn, Luton, Millwall, Wigan and Hull.  I don't se

It’s the standard ‘one or the other’ paradox most boro fans seem to have, ‘WE NEED A DEFENSIVE MANAGER WE CANT KEEP A CLEAN SHEET!!!’ ‘NOW WE NEED AN ATTACKING MANAGER, WE CANT SCORE!!’ What we n

Sorry, but I can't agree with this. The vast majority of Boro fans recognise Gibson is a fan first and foremost. He loves the club so much he - with help from others - saved it in 1986, and he's earne

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, HoyteForLeftBack said:

Appreciate it’s your opinion but I struggle to understand how anyone could want Pulis the first time, let alone a second time - unless you’re a masochist.

I’m no masochist. I just like shape and structure to a team. I get more upset when we concede a goal than joyous when we score. Pulis was a far superior manager than many on here ever gave him credit for and IMO we are paying the price for him being hounded out now.

40 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I’m no masochist. I just like shape and structure to a team. I get more upset when we concede a goal than joyous when we score. Pulis was a far superior manager than many on here ever gave him credit for and IMO we are paying the price for him being hounded out now.

I can see your argument for wanting Pulis, I'm someone who is happy enough with defensive football which is why I was happy with Karanka here.

I just felt that Pulis went completely defensive to such a ridiculous extreme. I'd had enough halfway through last season when we were parking 10 men behind the ball with very little intent to attack. 

If it was a case of playing like we did against West Brom at the start of last season I would have been happy with that. I just think there has to be a bit of balance and we didn't have that under Pulis it was just far too cautious and safety first. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Never underestimate the ability of a football fan to warp their thinking. Fans ultimately want attractive and effective football and they want it now. When they have neither, they reminisce back to the happiest recent days, even though it didn't ultimately provide what they want. People want Karanka because he's the only manager since McClaren to give us good memories, every other manager including himself has given us bad ones. Which brings me back to a debate that raged last season when we ultimately had neither attractive not effective football; would people rather us play attractively and falter or effectively and succeed. Last year, a lot of people had so much vitriol for Pulis that they'd happily have taken the former. Now we have a manager in charge who wants to try and give them that and because we aren't doing it yet, people want to go back to unattractive but effective football. Contrary to popularly held opinion last year, intent means nothing if you can't do it well immediately. So bring back Karanka, the one who, despite playing a way nobody can stand any longer, made people happy. 

Ah look here’s Wilson again, font of all footballing knowledge, sees what others don’t and will even tell you what you’re thinking. 

I’m guessing I’m one of them with ‘warped thinking’ because I dared to disagree that we are apparently ‘making progress’, now I’ve been enlightened that my desire is to go back to unattractive football, well that’s news to me tbh.

How very condescending of you, but please continue to tell us all what we want and how we’re thinking, keep us on the right path and guide us to the light of our improvements.

• Haha 1

Some biting comments aimed at members perfectly entitled to air their views without the fear of being dismembered so please remember that.

I see good points about both previous ex Managers but at the end of the day faults were clearly exposed and rightfully criticised at the time.

We had what we had and never go back springs to mind, I have not seen a returning manager doing a better job than the first time anyway.

Simply SG did get it wrong this time and like the appointment of Southgate I just hope things improve.

7 hours ago, chickenlunch said:

I got berated on here last season for saying Pulis was making the best of a bad situation... the only solace I can take from the current situation is knowing that I was right ?

Because you were and still are wrong. Just because Woodgate is turning out just as inept as 99.9% of people thought does not mean Pulis was doing well. He finished 7th ffs, with a far better squad than half the teams above him. Pulis was utter tripe, Woodgate so far is utter tripe. At least with Woodgate there is still a small glimmer things turn around. Under Pulis you knew that was it. 

As for using Karanka as a stick to beat people with, he was 1000% more attacking than Pulis in the championship. He only bottled it in the prem and even then we had more attacking players on the pitch than Pulis did in the championship! 

Pulis has a career record of 1 promotion out of the Championship and one play off season. He's had an awful lot of seasons in his career with most of them outside the top flight.

Karanka equalled Pulis Championship record in just two successive seasons. Had he been properly backed by Gibson in the summer of 2016 I believe we would still be in the PL. 

Pulis was desperately bad for us. I'm delighted he is gone.

I didn't want Woodgate, but once appointed he should be given a chance, not thrown under the bus by the lost boy Gibson.

I think that there was never a chance we would get promoted but its important that we don't do a Sunderland so the pragmatism is based on getting the balance right. Its generally accepted that we have been worth a few points more this season (only a few mind) but in the Sheffield and Birmingham games we have looked directionless.

I am quite prepared to write this season off as long as we stay up and even at this stage I don't think we are that bad that we will go down.

Think talk of changing managers though is barmy and the sudden resurrection of Pulis just odd.  Woodgate will be learning a lot about his players and who he can trust going forward so whilst it will be a long and bumpy road I think he deserves time (and a few windows) to get things right.    

• Like 2

I don't think the decision to hire him was that bad at the time, certainly not in comparison to the decision in wanting to keep him at only half his wage after so many of the fans had been alienated and with us in even deeper financial trouble.

I said earlier in the season that we need to stop comparing things with Pulis, that was when people were celebrating about how much better the style was. Now things are not going well the same thing stands. 

It's totally pointless, he's not coming back and the majority of fans wouldn't want him back. He did ok at collecting points but the style was dreadful and in terms of entertainment the benchmark couldn't be much lower. 

Woodgate should be judged on his own merit, if he is trying to implement a more expansive style then he probably does need time to do that. However if he's compromising his philosophy for short term results by using a more pragmatic style then he has to start getting results it's as simple as that. 

I expect us to get drubbed against WBA and Fulham at home and probably struggle to pick up points against Huddersfield and Derby away. After that we've got a better run of fixtures where we need to start winning a few games. 

I don't expect miracles and instant results which is the current criticism of the fans, but if we are being more pragmatic in the short term then Woodgate needs to go back to basics and get the team defending better, get us in a good shape and make us hard to beat. If he can't do those things then I'll wonder whether he is the right man for the job. 

The defence of Woodgate is that he doesn't have the players to play his preferred style, if that's the case then pick a style to suit the players.  

• Like 1

Maybe because everyone is expecting failure vs WBA .. we can then make a surprise win ? 

It happens in football, you know ? 

Today my daugthers team played the last game of the season... at home to a team who had won all their games and had scored an average of 7 goals a game with a goal dif at +47

The home team "knew" it would be a defeat.. But they were told, that they had all to win and nothing to lose... After 15 minutes played it was still 0-0 and the favorites started to pick on each other cause they hadn't scored yet .. And that gave my daugthers team some believe .. They actually won the game 1-0 and the coach had to buy them the ice cream he promised them at half time if they won! 

Wouldn't it be nice if Woddy had to take all our players for ice cream right after the WBA home game? 

• Like 1