oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson

We had all summer to implement a new approach and philosophy. A DoF, coaches throughout the age groups working together, a first team coach with a respected and exciting team around him. Signing young hungry players and changing the style. 

We failed. 

DoF (if rumours were true) turned us down. The coaches we were after turned us down. The young players identified either turned us down, Gibson pulled the plug or they came and can’t get a match. By all accounts Keane is absent Mon-Fri and Woody has had to resort to getting in people like Tony McMahon to “help out” because we clearly don’t have a strong enough coaching set up. Coyne arrived having never met Woodgate (no way on earth was he chosen by Woodgate or first choice ) and Leo comes as the first team coach. 

we couldn’t get it right when we had all summer. I don’t think we can get it right mid season - it will be a matter of patching things up as best they can. This season is a write off at best, if we avoid relegation. 

It’s a bloody mess and I don’t know where we go from here. Would expect to hear that James Morrison is helping out with some coaching next. 

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had another look at the table, we currently sit below teams like Preston and Charlton (who are in and around the playoffs), Brentford, Blackburn, Luton, Millwall, Wigan and Hull.  I don't se

It’s the standard ‘one or the other’ paradox most boro fans seem to have, ‘WE NEED A DEFENSIVE MANAGER WE CANT KEEP A CLEAN SHEET!!!’ ‘NOW WE NEED AN ATTACKING MANAGER, WE CANT SCORE!!’ What we n

Sorry, but I can't agree with this. The vast majority of Boro fans recognise Gibson is a fan first and foremost. He loves the club so much he - with help from others - saved it in 1986, and he's earne

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Malcolm Crosby, that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Apparently a scout at Derby according to his Wiki though that is from 3 years ago. 

Was he not a coach from schteve Mac era?

1 hour ago, Ayresome7 said:

Malcolm Crosby and Lee Clark were at Rockcliffe this morning. Dont know specifics but latter has a role at Blyth.

Lee is the manager at Blythe, former bury, Kilmarnock and Blackpool managers

To be fair, they're experienced coaches. May not be fancy names but they've been around in these sort of situations. 

Seems as though Crosby have been a scout over the past few years mind. 

8 hours ago, Prowler said:

To be fair, they're experienced coaches. May not be fancy names but they've been around in these sort of situations. 

Seems as though Crosby have been a scout over the past few years mind. 

So were Pulis entire backroom staff and the football was dog *** (although results were obviously better). We don't just need "experienced heads" we need capable heads.

What we really, desperately need is a long-term plan. Even if it means relegation to L1 while it's implemented, we need to stop the boom-and-bust cycle of spunking future earnings on unnecessary and disinterested mercenaries, before selling off the family silver and signing players for £100K under a manager whose main selling point is a few years as a Boro defender. 

I am completely unconvinced that Woodgate is developing a long-term plan. I think he had a plan for about a month, ripped it up in panic, and now has no idea how to fix our problems. And TBH, it's unfair to expect a rookie manager to solve problems as deep-rooted as Boro's.

We need a Director of Football or someone similar, who can develop an identity and ensure players/managers adhere to it. Karanka tried to do that by himself, and the results were some of the most successful years we've had since Steve McClaren's time (even if the football wasn't always pretty).

• Like 2
22 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

I presume I'm not the only one regularly visiting the OB homepage hoping to see a new thread titled "Woodgate sacked", then?

I'm not at that point yet, but if we're still in the relegation zone come January, I will also be scanning the BBC's Championship web page.

Some folks are suggesting relegation to League 1 is part of Gibson's master plan, to restore financial stability, but quite honestly I fail to see how that will solve anything. All that will mean is further cost cutting is required, further weakening our squad and likely making us relegation fodder yet again.

The only thing that will stabilise this club is substantial investment and the appointment of a competent manager. Not suggesting we go and blow another £50m on new players, but clearly some serious changes are needed.

Maybe Gibson thinks revenue will be the same in Div 1.

I haven't been to a match for years so the decision to buy tickets or not will be down to you lot spending your hard earned, or not. If ticket sales and revenue stayed up then maybe Gibsons plan could sort of work as he'd be paying out less in wages and transfers but if revenue drops which seems more likely what then?

For whatever reason I keep thinking about Leeds and their drop from amongst Europes best (maybe) and the fact that they're still not back up there and maybe never will be. Maybe Boro's time in the Premiership is now long gone and not to return under this ownership which shows no sign of ending anytime soon.

There is literally no reason why we should entertain the idea of dropping down to League 1 for even one minute. We just finished 5th and 7th, and are historically a good second division club. We're playing s*** and have a s*** manager but our team is plenty good enough for mid table. 

It would be disastrous to be relegated. And anyone who thinks we'll fly back up as the next Sheff Utd... remember when we just popped down to the Championship for a rebuilding season with Southgate? That went brilliantly didn't it. 

• Like 1