oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson

Digger, I’m the opposite, I want a team that tries is hardest to win and score goals, be entertained, I’d rather lose giving it ago than play boring football not trying to  concede and nick a winner  aka Pulis. Results aren’t everything, if we do get relegated and I’m more hopeful that realistic that we won’t, I’ll still be there next year as long as we have a team trying to win, I’ve never took so long to renew my ST than when Pulis was manager. Pulis style of football was turgid

• Like 1
  • Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had another look at the table, we currently sit below teams like Preston and Charlton (who are in and around the playoffs), Brentford, Blackburn, Luton, Millwall, Wigan and Hull.  I don't se

It’s the standard ‘one or the other’ paradox most boro fans seem to have, ‘WE NEED A DEFENSIVE MANAGER WE CANT KEEP A CLEAN SHEET!!!’ ‘NOW WE NEED AN ATTACKING MANAGER, WE CANT SCORE!!’ What we n

Sorry, but I can't agree with this. The vast majority of Boro fans recognise Gibson is a fan first and foremost. He loves the club so much he - with help from others - saved it in 1986, and he's earne

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Barticus said:

Digger, I’m the opposite, I want a team that tries is hardest to win and score goals, be entertained, I’d rather lose giving it ago than play boring football not trying to  concede and nick a winner  aka Pulis. Results aren’t everything, if we do get relegated and I’m more hopeful that realistic that we won’t, I’ll still be there next year as long as we have a team trying to win, I’ve never took so long to renew my ST than when Pulis was manager. Pulis style of football was turgid

I agree about Pulis football yes, but the game is a results driving business and we all want to see the big teams like Liverpool etc come to the riverside and not teams like Forest green.

I don't see how any fan would rather see us play good football and get beat and not be successful - the mind boggles.

I don't play football to lose and have a good time. I play to win and be the best I can be.

5 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

As a fan I would always choose results over entertainment. (Ideally want both but sometimes that can't happen). I would always want my team to be successful as can be and there isn't any better feeling than 3pts. - Pulis delivered on that front that's why I backed him.

Yes his boring was shocking, but he was honest with the fans and got us results.

ATM the fans are getting constantly lied too and we are getting hammered every week.

How anyone could choose this season over last season is beyond me 

I feel like there's potentially something misleading happening here. I've always said results over entertainment too, it's part of why I also was happy to go along with Pulis for so long. When I make clear my disdain for following the club under Pulis or for Pulis himself, it's very little to do with my personal view of his style of football. It is the ability to talk about the football when every other comment is 'well the football is ***', 'Pulis is a disease', 'how can you sit there and make a case for this man', etc. etc. etc. It was absolutely impossible to have a discussion about the football and as such a regular member of this forum and enjoying the debate, it was destructive to me personally. I never wanted to leave the forum, I had to.

I don't want to be thrown in alongside those who campaigned for a better style of football at the expense of results. But also something I always said was that Pulis had to actually do something with his time here, when you talk about results over entertainment, let's deal with it in context of who Pulis his, his reputation, his experience as a manager and his control over things at the club. He did not get the results, it is simple as that. He did not hit his targets. And when he didn't, the final straw was him coming out and saying achieving 7th was greater than 5th the season before and from the perspective of a person who puts results over anything, that is fundamentally trash.

All this about him not having the tools or the ability to build a side seems a bit farcical to me too, he seemed to be his own worst enemy in building that side because of such unrealistic desires regarding the personality aspect of a player, a manager who only seemed to want players who wanted to play for us without getting paid a ton of money. And I remember going into the January window thinking right, I'm not optimistic because he's had 2 very bad windows, but we need wingers and we're fully overstocked on centre-mids. What do we come out with? Jon Obi bloody Mikel and a winger who didn't want to play for or Pulis didn't want to play. What on Earth was going on there? Talk about digging your own grave.

So what's next? I imagine someone may be sat there thinking 'but the results are trash right now'. But that's kind of my point regarding how bad I felt about last season. Right now we're sat in the bottom 3 and still this season doesn't yet come close to how I felt last year. That's not me making a case for this season being positive or that getting relegated is a positive thing, it's unequivocally not a good thing. That's me saying things couldn't get any worse than last season in following this club and being part of the club and the fan-base. And I guarantee you that despite what some are saying now, that is absolutely how some fans felt last year too, that things couldn't get any worse and that 'anything would be better than Pulis'. Careful what you wish for, I guess.

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Tony Pulis @AnglianRed Tony Pulis. He could save us quite easily IMO 

I would go with that.

Thing is, would he want to come back? Do we even know why he left in the first place? Mutual consent after failure to secure promotion? Lack of funds available for the squad? Other reasons?

Just now, AnglianRed said:

I would go with that.

Thing is, would he want to come back? Do we even know why he left in the first place? Mutual consent after failure to secure promotion? Lack of funds available for the squad? Other reasons?

The rumour is that Gibson offered him an extension on half his salary and he said no. So if that's true, it would appear the only real reason he's not still managing us is money.

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I feel like there's potentially something misleading happening here. I've always said results over entertainment too, it's part of why I also was happy to go along with Pulis for so long. When I make clear my disdain for following the club under Pulis or for Pulis himself, it's very little to do with my personal view of his style of football. It is the ability to talk about the football when every other comment is 'well the football is ***', 'Pulis is a disease', 'how can you sit there and make a case for this man', etc. etc. etc. It was absolutely impossible to have a discussion about the football and as such a regular member of this forum and enjoying the debate, it was destructive to me personally. I never wanted to leave the forum, I had to.

I don't want to be thrown in alongside those who campaigned for a better style of football at the expense of results. But also something I always said was that Pulis had to actually do something with his time here, when you talk about results over entertainment, let's deal with it in context of who Pulis his, his reputation, his experience as a manager and his control over things at the club. He did not get the results, it is simple as that. He did not hit his targets. And when he didn't, the final straw was him coming out and saying achieving 7th was greater than 5th the season before and from the perspective of a person who puts results over anything, that is fundamentally trash.

All this about him not having the tools or the ability to build a side seems a bit farcical to me too, he seemed to be his own worst enemy in building that side because of such unrealistic desires regarding the personality aspect of a player, a manager who only seemed to want players who wanted to play for us without getting paid a ton of money. And I remember going into the January window thinking right, I'm not optimistic because he's had 2 very bad windows, but we need wingers and we're fully overstocked on centre-mids. What do we come out with? Jon Obi bloody Mikel and a winger who didn't want to play for or Pulis didn't want to play. What on Earth was going on there? Talk about digging your own grave.

So what's next? I imagine someone may be sat there thinking 'but the results are trash right now'. But that's kind of my point regarding how bad I felt about last season. Right now we're sat in the bottom 3 and still this season doesn't yet come close to how I felt last year. That's not me making a case for this season being positive or that getting relegated is a positive thing, it's unequivocally not a good thing. That's me saying things couldn't get any worse than last season in following this club and being part of the club and the fan-base. And I guarantee you that despite what some are saying now, that is absolutely how some fans felt last year too, that things couldn't get any worse and that 'anything would be better than Pulis'. Careful what you wish for, I guess.

Someone backs up there posts, I appreciate that.

Good post mate

• Like 2

I was one of those fans who didn't want Pulis here in the 1st place, if Pulis did come back could he turn things around, I think that's debatable, yes we would revert back to defensive football, harder to score against, but I don't see how he suddenly turns our strikers into goal scoring machines. The football has been awful, but  even Woodgate can't compensate for his strikers missing absolute sitters.

Perhaps Woodgate may also need to look at his backroom staff and ask if he's actually got the right team assembled, because for a young rookie manager in his 1st season experience is key, an old head alongside him could sometimes make all the difference. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

I agree about Pulis football yes, but the game is a results driving business and we all want to see the big teams like Liverpool etc come to the riverside and not teams like Forest green.

I don't see how any fan would rather see us play good football and get beat and not be successful - the mind boggles.

I don't play football to lose and have a good time. I play to win and be the best I can be.

Totally agree @diggerlad07. I not been on this forum for long but one of my first posts was to say i was happy to see see TP go but not at the expense of JW because i know the task was too big for him. 

No fan can truly say this current predicament we find ourselves in is more enjoyable than competing at the right end of the table

Yes football under TP was tedious but there was still an element satisfaction in winning on a weekend and competing to get to PL.

What current satisfaction in any form are we getting? Absolute none.

• Like 2

Call me mad but I genuinely would have Pulis back tomorrow. Watching us this season has destroyed me more than watching anything last season did. Hell id even go as far to say that 6 match losing streak while it did kill our season off, in some of those games we at least looked like giving it a go, more so than I can say this season in all honesty. 

This season has killed me off completely. Genuinely right now I'm off to Newcastle for a day out with my brother, and I'll probably completely forget Boro are playing. All the noises coming from the propaganda arm of the club is that relegation is almost accepted, and we've got people trying to argue that being played off the park is ok because the guy in charge isn't TP. 

It says something that my local side have become a far more attractive proposition than the club I've paid 490 pounds for a season ticket for. 

I just can't get my head around how bad things have got. Gibson's prepared to die on the Woodgate hill, and instead of making sure we get a good manager in, we just seem determined to load the team with more coaches and "local lads" f***ing hooray 🙄

• Like 1

We are not stable Premier club material and can accept our fate of cutting the cloth but what is not acceptable is the lack of pride and effort. I am sick to death of excuses about transfer windows and bedding after all these are trade served professionals. The club seems to have accepted its fate and quite happily lays in its grave covering itself in dirt while mourners wail above. FFS if the back room staff can’t do there job sack them and if those on the pitch can’t or won’t do there’s replace them with youth. Were is the fight, the nerve, the bottle to stand up for the cause to take ownership and go down fighting. The area and supporters love a trier they just need to believe there is a fight on for a call to arms. 

• Like 2

I think its crazy that the same people who criticise Gibson for being destructive to this football club and making the same mistakes over and over again step now talking about bringing pulis back.

We need to move away from this model of trying something and then when it doesnt work reverting back to the complete other end of the scale. Pulis is the last person I want to see managing this football club, woodgate included.

Absolute insanity.

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

We are not stable Premier club material and can accept our fate of cutting the cloth but what is not acceptable is the lack of pride and effort. I am sick to death of excuses about transfer windows and bedding after all these are trade served professionals. The club seems to have accepted its fate and quite happily lays in its grave covering itself in dirt while mourners wail above. FFS if the back room staff can’t do there job sack them and if those on the pitch can’t or won’t do there’s replace them with youth. Were is the fight, the nerve, the bottle to stand up for the cause to take ownership and go down fighting. The area and supporters love a trier they just need to believe there is a fight on for a call to arms. 

I have often wondered about what goes on in training and the apparent lack of improvement (and sometimes decline) of our players.

Even more so, given the high standard of our training facilities...

50 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

You know things are bad when people want Pulis back! 

I've said it before but some people on here have short memories. 

Our aim over the last two seasons was to get promoted and we failed to do that.  Pulis was manager for most of that period.  Somehow he managed to convince people that this wasn't our aim and he'd been brought in to sort our finances out - 4 months into a season where we'd spent a fortune and Gibson had made his smash the league comments?  Give me a break.  Do people think Gibson woke up in December of that year and suddenly realised he'd spent too much money and that the only possible solution was to spend even more by sacking a manager and hiring another one on even more money?

Last season we scored 49 goals in 46 games.  You don't win promotion doing that.  Over the last 10 years nobody has won promotion scoring so few goals as far as I can see.  Huddersfield a few seasons ago scored 50+ and managed it in that weird season when they finished with a negative goal difference but as a rule you need 65+ to get promoted, regardless of how good your defensive record is.  The losing streak we had last season was only part of it.  From January to April I think we only won 4 games in total, 5 if you include Peterborough in the cup but then you'd also have to include the two games against Newport.  If we conceded a goal on that run then we generally couldn't win, I think the exceptions were Birmingham and West Brom away. 

That kind of football isn't sustainable and we were clearly getting worse as a team even before you factor in the dreadful football.  I don't believe for a second that we'd be fighting for promotion if Pulis was still here.  I don't think we'd be third bottom either to be fair but I think we'd be no better than midtable.  It's worth pointing out that we had better defensive records in both 2014/15 and 2015/16 as well so it's not like Pulis made us a impregnable.  Even under Monk our defensive record was actually fine.  Pulis showed no signs at all of being able to make us a better attacking side, a greater goalscoring threat, so why would things be any different this season?  

Edited by Changing Times
  • Like 3