oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson

1 hour ago, Maccarone said:

So following the extreme issues faced by Bolton and Bury do we feel any different over the Gibson in/out debate? 

One thing is certain that the grass isn't always greener. 

Interesting to hear any new thoughts? 

It's incredible to think that we beat Bolton at Cardiff not all that many years ago, how times have changed. 

No but I'm the opposite side to DZ already. This entire thing shows us that the systems above our clubs are not fit to manage who can and can't buy our club. There is no fit and proper mechanism in place to protect us from terrible owners with a bit of cash to spend from coming in and ruining us and then trying to pass it onto the next guy. Therefore I think changing presents far too much of a risk. Having a club that just gets by is better than having no club and having to reform at the bottom of the ladder. I don't blame some for not wanting Gibson any more but it's better the devil you know and I stand by what I've said; I don't think Gibson will allow us to die whilst it is in his power to do so and there's a very real possibility of that happening if we were to change now.

• Like 1
  • Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had another look at the table, we currently sit below teams like Preston and Charlton (who are in and around the playoffs), Brentford, Blackburn, Luton, Millwall, Wigan and Hull.  I don't se

It’s the standard ‘one or the other’ paradox most boro fans seem to have, ‘WE NEED A DEFENSIVE MANAGER WE CANT KEEP A CLEAN SHEET!!!’ ‘NOW WE NEED AN ATTACKING MANAGER, WE CANT SCORE!!’ What we n

Sorry, but I can't agree with this. The vast majority of Boro fans recognise Gibson is a fan first and foremost. He loves the club so much he - with help from others - saved it in 1986, and he's earne

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Maccarone said:

So following the extreme issues faced by Bolton and Bury do we feel any different over the Gibson in/out debate? 

One thing is certain that the grass isn't always greener. 

Interesting to hear any new thoughts? 

It's incredible to think that we beat Bolton at Cardiff not all that many years ago, how times have changed. 

No I don’t see what difference it makes tbh and as usual your concentrating on 2 extreme cases. Aside from all that I don’t think many have asked for Gibson to actually sell which is what everyone seems to concentrate on for some reason.

SG crown has slipped but there is no doubt in mind without him we wouldn’t have a club. He has given us some great players and great times way above status BUT it started to fall apart around the Southgate appointment and has continued on a downward spiral ever since. In today’s game SG simply is a small fish in a big pond and I believe we are adjusting to life and possible sale and who can fault him. The majority of football clubs don’t make money and most are at best running with sustainable debts. The SKYE and Premier ruined football I said it would and it has. Billions have been spent players and agents gain and all the while the media raises its fees to cover its bids. I can see more heading Bury way and I don’t see why SG wouldn’t sell, fact I think he will soon. 

11 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

No but I'm the opposite side to DZ already. This entire thing shows us that the systems above our clubs are not fit to manage who can and can't buy our club. There is no fit and proper mechanism in place to protect us from terrible owners with a bit of cash to spend from coming in and ruining us and then trying to pass it onto the next guy. Therefore I think changing presents far too much of a risk. Having a club that just gets by is better than having no club and having to reform at the bottom of the ladder. I don't blame some for not wanting Gibson any more but it's better the devil you know and I stand by what I've said; I don't think Gibson will allow us to die whilst it is in his power to do so and there's a very real possibility of that happening if we were to change now.

I’m of the opinion we adjusting to life the town can afford and sustain. I can’t fault SG because he saved the club and given me some good memories but he ran out of ideas, failed to change and made some poor choices. It’s cost SG an awful lot and he could now be settling the ground to move on. Let’s face it who wouldn’t but let’s not get carried away thinking a new owner could be trusted and not milk the club dry and move on. 

My fear isn't even that a new owner will milk us to take money for themselves. I only think that'll potentially happen if we somehow made the Prem.

My fear is that they'll bleed us dry, push every penny into getting us promoted and, if it fails (or even if it doesn't), force us into inescapable debt and walk away.

I don't trust the EFL to protect us. The last couple of weeks and the resulting expulsion of Bury from the Football League has come about because they didn't conduct anything fit and proper to protect them from people like Steve Dale. That could be us without Gibson. Promotion but expulsion? No thanks. What's happened to Bury should not have happened, now it's fingers crossed that Bolton won't end up the same way.

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

My fear isn't even that a new owner will milk us to take money for themselves. I only think that'll potentially happen if we somehow made the Prem.

My fear is that they'll bleed us dry, push every penny into getting us promoted and, if it fails (or even if it doesn't), force us into inescapable debt and walk away.

I don't trust the EFL to protect us. The last couple of weeks and the resulting expulsion of Bury from the Football League has come about because they didn't conduct anything fit and proper to protect them from people like Steve Dale. That could be us without Gibson. Promotion but expulsion? No thanks. What's happened to Bury should not have happened, now it's fingers crossed that Bolton won't end up the same way.

That's the trouble with new Investors who have the view that if they get a championship club promoted to the premier League they will make a fortune. So therefore will spend heavily for 2-3 season's then if the club isn't promoted will turn the money tap off and walk away leaving a club in financial ruin

• Like 2

It really depends on how switched on a new owner is.

I think Gibson IS looking to sell, however I don’t think he’s in any rush and would only sell to someone he 100% trusted to NOT do any of the above. You only have to look at Leicester and the relationship between their foreign owner and fans to see it’s not all bad, even Tan at Cardiff has turned things around after he tried changing the shirt colour etc.

Gibson has a ton of connections in Asia and I’m pretty sure that’s where any new owner would come from. I’d hope we’d try and avoid Indian or American owners though.

Interesting read some of this.  A friend of mine has been in a meeting today.  There are 13 clubs in the championship before this season started that if they carry on like they are/ have been will be out of business by end of 2020. Obviously this doesn't include takeovers, promotions etc but as it stands 13 teams wouldn't be here end of nexr year.  That's the championship imagine what is happening down the ladder. Yes it's difficult at moment being a Boro fan cutbacks ect. But it really could be so much worse

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Raf smog said:

Interesting read some of this.  A friend of mine has been in a meeting today.  There are 13 clubs in the championship before this season started that if they carry on like they are/ have been will be out of business by end of 2020. Obviously this doesn't include takeovers, promotions etc but as it stands 13 teams wouldn't be here end of nexr year.  That's the championship imagine what is happening down the ladder. Yes it's difficult at moment being a Boro fan cutbacks ect. But it really could be so much worse

I think this misses the point, surely our cut backs are required due to our own mistakes?

58 minutes ago, Raf smog said:

I can’t remember who it was, might have been a manager or owner. Think it was the derby owner iirc. He said that most championship clubs are losing upwards of 15 million a season.

7 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

That’s incredible and amounts to clubs being reckless in search of the premier league quick buck. I fear rafsmog is correct above when he points out that clubs will go to the wall when owners either get bored or simply cannot sustain the investment.

45 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

I think this misses the point, surely our cut backs are required due to our own mistakes?

I think you're missing the point a bit, personally. We're reacting to the mistakes we've made and making changes to reflect the actual state of affairs. Not in football matters, no, we've got the same recruitment team in place and whatnot. But financially, we are trying to cut back costs and respond to those mistakes rather than ignoring them because at the end of the day, they are what determines us existing as a club. How we perform as a team in the division is secondary to me.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think you're missing the point a bit, personally. We're reacting to the mistakes we've made and making changes to reflect the actual state of affairs. Not in football matters, no, we've got the same recruitment team in place and whatnot. But financially, we are trying to cut back costs and respond to those mistakes rather than ignoring them because at the end of the day, they are what determines us existing as a club. How we perform as a team in the division is secondary to me.

I don’t think I’m missing anything tbf, it’s posted in a thread where people have questioned decisions the club have made and the post had a feel along the lines of other clubs have been reckless so we should be thankful. When in reality we have been just as reckless, yes we’ve responded to it and are working to fix it, but the problems we are trying to fix aren’t external circumstances that were out of our control, we put ourselves in the hole and I think people rightly question the decisions that led to it.