Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
DevKWat

Steve Gibson

Recommended Posts

Of course they do. I've never said anyone shouldn't question decisions. You absolutely should. But you seem to be ignoring that other clubs make exactly the same financial mistakes and will do just about anything to continue making them.

And put it this way, what Villa did last season will not be constituted as a mistake. Based pretty much on one game. The play-off final. But they did make the same kind of risks we did in trying to get promoted and continued to make them despite their previous owner saying they categorically had to stop running that way. They doubled down on their risk and reaped rewards from it. That doesn't make it any less risky and it doesn't mean that we should take a page out of their book as to how a football club should be run either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Villa have been terrible for years though, your right I do ignore other clubs making bad decisions as I prefer to hold us to higher standards. It’s not like Gibson is some big shot who’s just came waltzing in thinking he can throw money at it, he’s been here 30 years and no doubt seen it all, but in the last 10 years even the promotion season seems to have been a blip before we’ve quickly reverted back to where we were pre karanka.

We just can’t seem to build on anything And Gibson’s experience in the game SHOULD give us an advantage but something somewhere is going wrong. Burnley, Brighton, Watford, Bournemouth have sailed past us, teams like Huddersfield,Brentford, Bristol City have caught up to us. 5 years ago we probably wouldn’t even have looked at Bristol city’s best players, now we couldn’t afford or attract them. It’s just frustrating to see us this way.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That depends what you mean by a higher standard though, too. I'd like to see us make better football decisions, for sure, completely with you on that. But in terms of keeping us afloat and trying to challenge financially with others, we've invested a lot in doing that. We're just as desperate as anyone to reach the riches of the Premier League. At the end of the day, there's always a chance that doesn't pay off even if you make the right calls and I still believe we will have a club at the end of it with the current ownership of the club.

I think in the current climate where Raf smog seems to indicate there's some clubs who will follow Bolton and Bury into the 'big trouble' area, there's something to be happy with being a relatively stable club who'll cut their cloth when they get it wrong.

If we were in danger of going under without a change of owner, I'd be much more willing to consider it, put it that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The team taking the biggest risk this season has got to be Derby, surely if they don't go up they're in big trouble?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

The team taking the biggest risk this season has got to be Derby, surely if they don't go up they're in big trouble?

Don't know, tbh their owner seems a sly bugger who'll find a way to get around the FFP rules yet again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

That depends what you mean by a higher standard though, too. I'd like to see us make better football decisions, for sure, completely with you on that. But in terms of keeping us afloat and trying to challenge financially with others, we've invested a lot in doing that. We're just as desperate as anyone to reach the riches of the Premier League. At the end of the day, there's always a chance that doesn't pay off even if you make the right calls and I still believe we will have a club at the end of it with the current ownership of the club.

I think in the current climate where Raf smog seems to indicate there's some clubs who will follow Bolton and Bury into the 'big trouble' area, there's something to be happy with being a relatively stable club who'll cut their cloth when they get it wrong.

If we were in danger of going under without a change of owner, I'd be much more willing to consider it, put it that way.

I’m not wanting to change owner, I want someone in to run the football side of things.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

The team taking the biggest risk this season has got to be Derby, surely if they don't go up they're in big trouble?

I'm sure they'll find some way to sell something to themselves again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I'm sure they'll find some way to sell something to themselves again.

Mel Morris might sell himself to himself at this rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a clever way of asset stripping tbf to the guy haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how I feel about the we could be Bury or Bolton if we get a new owner so Gibson is infallible argument, appealing to the extreme just a little bit. Maybe it's because successful owner changes don't make the news anywhere near as much as bad ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

Not sure how I feel about the we could be Bury or Bolton if we get a new owner so Gibson is infallible argument, appealing to the extreme just a little bit. Maybe it's because successful owner changes don't make the news anywhere near as much as bad ones. 

I think it’s a daft argument, just because we aren’t on the verge of bankruptcy doesn’t mean we can’t question a lot of the decisions we’ve made the past few seasons.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MFC will lose a lot of money this season. This loss will have to be balanced by further Undertakings to Group (GO'N) i.e. increasing the intra company "loan". The Club will be net valued at even less than -£57m. 

The Club only continues as a Going Concern because of these Group Undertakings. Gibson as 75% shareholder in the Group is seeing his entity go further and further underwater. He can blame absolutely nobody else, as he makes all the decisions that have led to this performance and financial status.

Seriously, what is going to change?

As for his daughter taking the reigns; what could possibly go wrong with that....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Boranup said:

MFC will lose a lot of money this season. This loss will have to be balanced by further Undertakings to Group (GO'N) i.e. increasing the intra company "loan". The Club will be net valued at even less than -£57m. 

The Club only continues as a Going Concern because of these Group Undertakings. Gibson as 75% shareholder in the Group is seeing his entity go further and further underwater. He can blame absolutely nobody else, as he makes all the decisions that have led to this performance and financial status.

Seriously, what is going to change?

As for his daughter taking the reigns; what could possibly go wrong with that....

She stated she was grieving when Pulis left. For that reason only she should be nowhere near a football club ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

People’s thoughts on this discussion now? In my honest opinion he’s only taking the club one way now, too busy complaining about other clubs breaking rules and doing well when he’s probably done some himself. Poor decision after poor decision and let’s face it he doesn’t have the finances to take us forward. Yes we’ll always be eternally grateful for what he has done but it’s clear as day that something needs to change here if the  long-term aim for the club is to solidify back in the Premier League 

Edited by DevKWat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...