oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson

Steve Round was on Boro's coaching staff. I seem to remember it being reported that he applied for the Boro job when Mac got the England job. I think he went to Everton after that

• Like 1
  • Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had another look at the table, we currently sit below teams like Preston and Charlton (who are in and around the playoffs), Brentford, Blackburn, Luton, Millwall, Wigan and Hull.  I don't se

It’s the standard ‘one or the other’ paradox most boro fans seem to have, ‘WE NEED A DEFENSIVE MANAGER WE CANT KEEP A CLEAN SHEET!!!’ ‘NOW WE NEED AN ATTACKING MANAGER, WE CANT SCORE!!’ What we n

Sorry, but I can't agree with this. The vast majority of Boro fans recognise Gibson is a fan first and foremost. He loves the club so much he - with help from others - saved it in 1986, and he's earne

Posted Images

Because accepting that means trying to find someone else who'll work at the same budget for peanuts compared to if they wait for a bigger job. Again, getting rid of Woodgate or any manager doesn't solve the problem if the other side of it won't bear fruit. See Southgate for Strachan, Karanka for Agnew, Monk for Pulis and to a lesser extent (given the state we were already in, and it not being a sacking), Pulis for Woodgate. The grass isn't always greener, even if there is a big fag burn circle in the middle from last night's bonfire.

• Like 1

To avoid relegation Boro will need to win a few matches and on recent evidence who are they going to beat?

On the theory that it's easier to stay up than get promoted from Division one and also thinking that revenue will drop if we're in division 1 surely even a megalomaniac control freak who wont admit he's wrong might see sense and do something to give Boro a realistic chance of avoiding relegation? Leave things as they are and at the moment we look a certainty to go down.

14 minutes ago, Woof Woof said:

Surely even a megalomaniac control freak who wont admit he's wrong might see sense and do something to give Boro a realistic chance of avoiding relegation? 

...and therein lies the rub. By doing something to give us a realistic chance of avoiding relegation, Gibson has to admit he was wrong to appoint Woodgate. The "grieving" statement when Pulis left reeked of face-saving, as though Gibson couldn't bring himself to acknowledge what a basket case the club had become under the capped one's 'leadership'. Yet Pulis's reign of error meant Woodgate inherited a squad devoid of confidence, hopelessly overstocked in some areas yet completely bereft in others. And in loads of debt because of spuds like Flint. And with no attacking ambition. And with fans already deeply sceptical about the Woody 'project'.

We're still paying the price for that play-off semi-final, and we will be until Gibson admits he's wrong. Which, based on recent form, will be several months too late.

• Like 2

Seems to me many fans are still too resistant to criticise Gibbo and the team for fear of being written off as "negative" 

Is it really negative to say we're in a proper mess? 2 wins all season, no goals and no defence whatsoever. 

Yet Gibson has allowed this to go on, but he gets Carte Blanche just because he saved us a few years ago 🙄 totally makes up for his amateurish running of the club and jobs for the boys situation going on. 

• Like 1

What sane attacking/wide player would want to come here after van la Parra's wretched experience, or the very public collapse of Britt's confidence? Who would want to risk being paired up front with Gestede, or endure being serviced by makeweights like Johnson? And that's assuming we're still in trouble, which means anyone joining us faces the very real prospect of playing in the third tier of English football. And we'd be trying to sign them on the cheap, so it's not even like we can tempt them with good wages.

• Like 1

I don’t post on here usually. More of a longtime lurker .. I much prefer to watch what goes on and enjoy decent sensible debate. 

However I have  to say that what is going on currently and the running of the club since the Karanka hissy fit ,in the promotion season , has been and is absolutely woeful. 

the club is currently in the worst position in terms of Short and medium term prospects, league position, squad, aptitude and attitude ,that I can remember since the season we had to beat Newcastle to stay up, but , that said, even that team had a enough grit and ability to pull a result out when it was needed. I don’t feel this team even have that in them.

We have wasted our best chance in a decade to reestablish ourselves as a top table team and it all goes back to the decisions made both financially and strategically by our chairman. The buck stops with him and him alone.

We are very nearly in the same position now as when he came on board in 1986. 

He needs to refocus , stop deflecting attention with his crusades and petty grievances with other clubs , and start making the right calls in relation to our club..if you get something wrong , don’t stubbornly stand by it until the damage is too deep, take steps to fix it the minute you can see it’s broken. Nearly every club in the division seems to have a board of directors who are more adept at working in the current football league landscape than ours. 

The only golden thread I see running through the club at the moment is ineptitude. 

• Like 8

The reason why we are in this situation is the club haven't addressed the problem we have had on the wings for about 3 years as we never replaced Adomar. But who can we honestly attract now. Then we had the opportunity for Lowe but we turned our noses up at him so unless we pull wonderkids out of the hat in January were doomed! All I know it would of been cheaper to of given Adomar his pay rise. But the Boro forever will continue to cut their nose to spite their face! 

We sold adomah because we had everything agreed with Delofeuo, spurs signed sissoko (who was on his way to Everton) at the last minute and it fell through. Sometimes things just go that way.

• Like 1