oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson

I think most fans accept the PL gravy train days are over for the foreseeable future. We had our chance at re-establishing ourselves in the top flight and - unlike Burnley - we stuffed it completely.

Right now, I'd settle for exciting attacking football in the upper reaches of the Championship, but even that seems hopelessly unattainable at present.

Without a billionaire buyer coming in and turning us into a new Bournemouth, I think we're in real risk of becoming the next Nottingham Forest, Ipswich, et al. "They were good once, weren't they? Didn't they play in Europe?"

• Like 1
  • Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had another look at the table, we currently sit below teams like Preston and Charlton (who are in and around the playoffs), Brentford, Blackburn, Luton, Millwall, Wigan and Hull.  I don't se

It’s the standard ‘one or the other’ paradox most boro fans seem to have, ‘WE NEED A DEFENSIVE MANAGER WE CANT KEEP A CLEAN SHEET!!!’ ‘NOW WE NEED AN ATTACKING MANAGER, WE CANT SCORE!!’ What we n

Sorry, but I can't agree with this. The vast majority of Boro fans recognise Gibson is a fan first and foremost. He loves the club so much he - with help from others - saved it in 1986, and he's earne

Posted Images

1 hour ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

There is literally no reason why we should entertain the idea of dropping down to League 1 for even one minute. We just finished 5th and 7th, and are historically a good second division club. We're playing s*** and have a s*** manager but our team is plenty good enough for mid table. 

It would be disastrous to be relegated. And anyone who thinks we'll fly back up as the next Sheff Utd... remember when we just popped down to the Championship for a rebuilding season with Southgate? That went brilliantly didn't it. 

It took Sheffield Utd 5 seasons to get out of League 1 - bouncing back at the first time of asking is no guarantee as you say.

1 hour ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

There is literally no reason why we should entertain the idea of dropping down to League 1 for even one minute. We just finished 5th and 7th, and are historically a good second division club. We're playing s*** and have a s*** manager but our team is plenty good enough for mid table. 

It would be disastrous to be relegated. And anyone who thinks we'll fly back up as the next Sheff Utd... remember when we just popped down to the Championship for a rebuilding season with Southgate? That went brilliantly didn't it. 

Sheffield Utd were in League One for six seasons. We have been down to the Third Tier twice and come straight back up on both occasions. Unless Gibson sorts things out in January, it's looking like we will be visiting  League One for an extended period.

• Sad 1

I dont think woodgate is going anywhere purely because we cant afford to pay two managers, which is what wed have to do if we sacked him.

Gibson is already pumping 1mil a month in apparently, and we refused to pay a couple of hundred thousand in loan fees for players in the summer so theres no chance hell now spend that money on a manager when he already has one.

I'm afraid the best we can hope for is to narrowly avoid relegation this season under woodgate and see how our finances look with a lot of the big earners - and britt and randolph in all likelihood - off the wage bill and start to rebuild. 

But rebuild how? Having just hung onto Championship survival by our fingernails (hopefully) with all the names gone, a manager with no pulling power and the reputation we must have by now who'll want to come here? Youth either home grown or recruited in is a possibility but I don't think it'll be easy to rebuild at all unless something changes and brings in some X factor that we don't have at the moment.

See I have a major problem blaming 'finances' as a reason we're in a relegation battle to be honest, people conflate the two seperate issues alot roll them into 1 big 'wacanyadoo ball' I see it with Vickers and co at the Gazette the past few weeks as well it's always about money being tight. Woodgate's signed himself 2 fullbacks for premium prices yet 3 months in they're discarded this idea if only he had an extra couple million seems so redundant to me he still has a top half, comfortably, squad yet week in week out he's cocking things up and most of all failing to improve players in most cases he's sent players development backwards I can't believe he's skating by personally every week there's x player missed a sitter like opposition players don't also miss sitters the whole thing's the most amateur and tinpot setup I've seen at Boro in 20 years there's never been a 'plan' beyond play it quick and press it's stuff you hear on a Sunday down a park.

The fact they're selling you still this dream in 2 years of Tav/Walker leading us to the Prem scoring 80 goals a season is so detached from all evidence I can't honestly believe they believe in Woodgate at this point, the clubs never felt so small gutless Gibson and co have made incompetent moves in the past 3 years but the idea that's to blame for Woodgate sinking us into a relegation fight is just not right he deserves to own this mess all on his own he'd be lucky to get a job managing the Dickens after this is all over.

You're essentially boiling it down to blame Woodgate for him wanting a job that's beyond him Jamie, and that's what I have a huge problem with.

Also, 'premium prices' for full-backs? What year are we in?

31 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

See I have a major problem blaming 'finances' as a reason we're in a relegation battle to be honest, people conflate the two seperate issues alot roll them into 1 big 'wacanyadoo ball' I see it with Vickers and co at the Gazette the past few weeks as well it's always about money being tight. Woodgate's signed himself 2 fullbacks for premium prices yet 3 months in they're discarded this idea if only he had an extra couple million seems so redundant to me he still has a top half, comfortably, squad yet week in week out he's cocking things up and most of all failing to improve players in most cases he's sent players development backwards I can't believe he's skating by personally every week there's x player missed a sitter like opposition players don't also miss sitters the whole thing's the most amateur and tinpot setup I've seen at Boro in 20 years there's never been a 'plan' beyond play it quick and press it's stuff you hear on a Sunday down a park.

The fact they're selling you still this dream in 2 years of Tav/Walker leading us to the Prem scoring 80 goals a season is so detached from all evidence I can't honestly believe they believe in Woodgate at this point, the clubs never felt so small gutless Gibson and co have made incompetent moves in the past 3 years but the idea that's to blame for Woodgate sinking us into a relegation fight is just not right he deserves to own this mess all on his own he'd be lucky to get a job managing the Dickens after this is all over.

I'd just ignore the Gazette to be honest, their writers have zero credibility. 

The likes of Vickers and Tallantire will right whatever the club want them to right. 

I'm surprised so many people fell for the clubs/ Gazettes propaganda in the summer because it was just rehashing the same stories they wrote during the Southgate era. 

• Like 2
Just now, wilsoncgp said:

You're essentially boiling it down to blame Woodgate for him wanting a job that's beyond him Jamie, and that's what I have a huge problem with.

Also, 'premium prices' for full-backs? What year are we in?

2 million for Dijksteel on 1 year left for Boro at RB is premium come on. Who beats that price in our history for a RB? Reizeger? Barragan barely?

Bola was 900k on 1 year left besides Franck and Fabio we've not had many more expensive LBs.

We aren't make a wish, we don't have McManus and Bikey at CB we're Middlesbrough Football Club assets in tact for now the fact our managers got us points adrift of relegation in November with the squad he has is so inexcusable it can't be defended so everyone reverts to strange defense's like the Gazette saying it's finances or it's Britt I don't recall Mowbray given the same grace when Juke was missing sitters as he put his squad of frees, flops and a couple of 1 mill signings to the task of keeping us competitive restoring lost pride.

He's either a Middlesbrough Football Club manager with a 50 million pound squad or he's a special boy living his dream for the season I'm not comfortable with the capitulation that's happened we have a football club we've all invested years and thousands into we differ on managers/players it's whatever but what do we have if people like Paylor and co run around screaming BAD HAND and the SQUADS AWFUL when it seems in such bad faith we had genuinely awful squads in the past we still were never as bad as Woodgate's managed.

I don't know anymore it's not like we had high expectations, I feel like we gave Woodgate grace months ago but at every turn I've seen someone unworthy to manage the club in the present and especially in the future I don't want to see us in League 1 but does anyone seem to care if we do go down? It's past apathy with people it just seems accepted we're a worthless club, in a inhabitable area, with an empty stadium so we can't sign anyone can't do better than an amateur coach and history began at Garry Monk that's become consensus and I've just always challenged it not because 'mighty Boro' but because I genuinely don't accept the assertion we're just infinitely garbage and the area stuff has always been such a *** cliche.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, smoggyindonny said:

It took Sheffield Utd 5 seasons to get out of League 1 - bouncing back at the first time of asking is no guarantee as you say.

Exactly mate... Relegation is very rarely the 'blessing in disguise' some fans think it's gong to be. There's no chance we'll fly straight back up as an all conquering attacking side. Leeds have still never got back after their relegation.

Would be a disaster and I can see us sleepwalking towards it like we've done in past Premier League seasons. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

2 million for Dijksteel on 1 year left for Boro at RB is premium come on. Who beats that price in our history for a RB? Reizeger? Barragan barely?

Bola was 900k on 1 year left besides Franck and Fabio we've not had many more expensive LBs.

We aren't make a wish, we don't have McManus and Bikey at CB we're Middlesbrough Football Club assets in tact for now the fact our managers got us points adrift of relegation in November with the squad he has is so inexcusable it can't be defended so everyone reverts to strange defense's like the Gazette saying it's finances or it's Britt I don't recall Mowbray given the same grace when Juke was missing sitters as he put his squad of frees, flops and a couple of 1 mill signings to the task of keeping us competitive restoring lost pride.

He's either a Middlesbrough Football Club manager with a 50 million pound squad or he's a special boy living his dream for the season I'm not comfortable with the capitulation that's happened we have a football club we've all invested years and thousands into we differ on managers/players it's whatever but what do we have if people like Paylor and co run around screaming BAD HAND and the SQUADS AWFUL when it seems in such bad faith we had genuinely awful squads in the past we still were never as bad as Woodgate's managed.

I don't know anymore it's not like we had high expectations, I feel like we gave Woodgate grace months ago but at every turn I've seen someone unworthy to manage the club in the present and especially in the future I don't want to see us in League 1 but does anyone seem to care if we do go down? It's past apathy with people it just seems accepted we're a worthless club, in a inhabitable area, with an empty stadium so we can't sign anyone can't do better than an amateur coach and history began at Garry Monk that's become consensus and I've just always challenged it not because 'mighty Boro' but because I genuinely don't accept the assertion we're just infinitely garbage and the area stuff has always been such a *** cliche.

I certainly agree with you that we have had much worse squads in recent times and survived in the Championship so Woodgate shoulders some blame why he can't get this set of players to be were we realistically see ourselves - Mid-table. 

• Like 2

I honestly think Gibson thought Woodgate would do a poundland version of Mowbray. Basically man the ship while the club gets rid of all the high earners. 

I don't think Gibson will accept Woodgate taking us down and I don't think its something he'll have expected either. 

A defeat on Saturday is probably what everyone expects given our current form, however I think the next 2 home games might be make or break for JW. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Woof Woof said:

But rebuild how? Having just hung onto Championship survival by our fingernails (hopefully) with all the names gone, a manager with no pulling power and the reputation we must have by now who'll want to come here? Youth either home grown or recruited in is a possibility but I don't think it'll be easy to rebuild at all unless something changes and brings in some X factor that we don't have at the moment.

Too bold a suggestion that we use the 40k a week gestede is on and the 30k a week shotton is on to bring in a manager and director of football and look to the european market for players?

It probably is to be fair but with a minuscule wage bill (and it will be after all those players go) well certainly have a lot of room to play around with our resources and put ourselves in a much better position than we are in this season. 

Is it a possibility? Definiely yes. Do I have faith that well do it? Definitely not.