oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson

I think to be fair CT, people's main motivation for wanting Pulis back right now is they see us looking down rather than up. I think the point you made about Pulis having us in mid-table is actually the reason people want him. Even though we would surely all agree that if Pulis stayed in charge and we were sat in mid-table, nobody would want him here at all. People are just thinking Pulis would have us in a better position right now so would prefer that, with the benefit of hindsight of where we are right now.

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had another look at the table, we currently sit below teams like Preston and Charlton (who are in and around the playoffs), Brentford, Blackburn, Luton, Millwall, Wigan and Hull.  I don't se

It’s the standard ‘one or the other’ paradox most boro fans seem to have, ‘WE NEED A DEFENSIVE MANAGER WE CANT KEEP A CLEAN SHEET!!!’ ‘NOW WE NEED AN ATTACKING MANAGER, WE CANT SCORE!!’ What we n

Sorry, but I can't agree with this. The vast majority of Boro fans recognise Gibson is a fan first and foremost. He loves the club so much he - with help from others - saved it in 1986, and he's earne

Posted Images

I hate Pulis' brand of football, it's archaic. I wouldn't have him back. He made me lose all interest in the game last season. 

However, the situation we're in now is *** terrible and we're on course for relegation. Still wouldn't have Pulis back but we definitely need someone who can steady the ship, even if it's just until the summer. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think to be fair CT, people's main motivation for wanting Pulis back right now is they see us looking down rather than up. I think the point you made about Pulis having us in mid-table is actually the reason people want him. Even though we would surely all agree that if Pulis stayed in charge and we were sat in mid-table, nobody would want him here at all. People are just thinking Pulis would have us in a better position right now so would prefer that, with the benefit of hindsight of where we are right now.

I get that but my point is that there's no room for growth.  We'd be midtable and we'd be playing utterly crap football and that would be it.  I don't think that necessarily has to be the case with the current situation albeit my hope that Woodgate would take a shot and start playing more attacking football does look to be laughably misguided.

• Like 1

It’s the standard ‘one or the other’ paradox most boro fans seem to have, ‘WE NEED A DEFENSIVE MANAGER WE CANT KEEP A CLEAN SHEET!!!’ ‘NOW WE NEED AN ATTACKING MANAGER, WE CANT SCORE!!’

What we needed that season after relegation was a manager to come in, take what karanka has built and slightly tweak it, but no. Typical boro we tore it up and started from scratch.

Then what happened a few months later? We get a guy totally opposite to come in, he tore it up yet again. This summer we did exactly the same.

We need a manager who can set his teams up with balance, not to overload our own half nor the opposition box. It doesn’t have to be an ‘attacking or defensive’ manager, just a competent one.

If after relegation we had got some width and a good #10/attacking midfielder, gave certain positions a bit more freedom we would not be in this mess.

• Like 8
On 11/9/2019 at 1:01 PM, diggerlad07 said:

As a fan I would always choose results over entertainment. (Ideally want both but sometimes that can't happen). I would always want my team to be successful as can be and there isn't any better feeling than 3pts. - Pulis delivered on that front that's why I backed him.

Yes his football boring was shocking and possibly the worst I have seen in 30years being a fan, but he was honest with the fans and got us results.

ATM the fans are getting constantly lied too and we are getting hammered every week.

How anyone could choose this season over last season is beyond me.

We all know Mr Gibson 'the messiah' is to blame for this current mess and hopefully he acts next week but I have lost all confidence in him so I doubt it.

Ahh the benefit of hindsight. Og course people would rather want midt table nothingness while being fed sleeping pills every weekend over relegation. It's like choosing between two evils. All I wanted was the club to try something different from Pulis who is a destroyer of clubs. He did the exact same thing at WBA.

And how you can class Pulis as an honest man is completely beyond me. He is a money grabbing, narciscistic liar. From everything he's said and done during his time here I have no doubt that he only cared about himself and how much money he could take out while deflecting everytin onto Monk and the recruitment team. His own recruitment was absolutely abject and I'd even say it was worse than Monk. All he needed to add was a few wide players but that's not his way of playing so he probably didn't have a clue about how to inject pace and creativity into the team.

Yes, looking at a piece of paper his results were better than they are now but still very short of where they should have been. Pulis was a disaster for the club and how it'll impact the club for years. A capable manager who isn't stuck in the 80's would have given us a lot better building stones. Instead we have very one dimensional team without any creativity or flair and Pulis still thinks he has done a world class job. (

This is not me absolving Gibson of any blame but just saying why I wanted Pulis out and it should have happened after he surrendered agains Villa in the playoffs. How Gibson or anyone thought it was a good idea to keep him is beyond me. At that time we probably would have been an attractive job for someone like Johnson at Bristol.

• Like 4

Great post Borodane.

Pulis had to go, should have gone after Villa playoff. He was a cancer.

Gibson needs to accept his culpability. When you are dictator, it is impossible to blame anyone else after so long.

Are the people agitating for Pulis's return remembering that his atrocious signings are a large part of the reason Woodgate inherited a hopelessly unbalanced squad with no width, no confidence and no attacking prowess? Even a talented and experienced manager couldn't undo the damage Pulis did to our squad and their playing style within four months, and Woody is neither of those things.

It's possible to believe Pulis AND Woodgate were both terrible managerial appointments, in different ways. It's not a binary choice between them. Nor should we start viewing Monk's disastrous reign with rose-tinted glasses - I'll be an old man before I forget the sight of a two-man defence with Adam Clayton dropping back as a part-time CB.

The last Boro manager who could make the most of the resources at his disposal was Karanka, even though his football was often criticised for being overly negative and one-dimensional, too. He's one former manager I'd have back in a heartbeat, though I doubt he'd even consider working with Gibson again.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RiseAgainst said:

Bausor gets the train?? I assumed he'd fly in a helicopter, or at least be chauffeured around in a Rolls like Alan Sugar, with a glass of cognac in one hand and the latest League One scouting report in the other.

It's his way of contributing to the clubs economic crisis.. He takes the train once every other month instead of the privat jet...

22 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

Bausor gets the train?? I assumed he'd fly in a helicopter, or at least be chauffeured around in a Rolls like Alan Sugar, with a glass of cognac in one hand and the latest League One scouting report in the other.

They probably had to sell the Borocopter as part of the cost cutting. Also had to give up the limo. 😉

On a more serious note, even leasing those things isn't cheap. Nice to know senior management are joining in the belt tightening though.

• Like 1
On 11/11/2019 at 2:03 PM, FamilyBoro said:

I happened to be sat near Bausor on the train home after QPR's game.... Probably for the best I resisted the urge to bombard him with questions, meby I just didn't know where to start!  

Were you in the First Class carriage by any chance? 🤑

2 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Were you in the First Class carriage by any chance? 🤑

Ha I was however I dont think he probably redeemed his Nectar points to get it for free 🙂 He was with his Mrs, looked like they had spent the weekend in London. Tbf he seemed polite etc and who knows what is happening behind the scenes atm. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FamilyBoro said:

Ha I was however I dont think he probably redeemed his Nectar points to get it for free 🙂 He was with his Mrs, looked like they had spent the weekend in London. Tbf he seemed polite etc and who knows what is happening behind the scenes atm. 

Yeah, he probably skipped the game and did some chrimbo shopping 👍

• 3 weeks later...

Surely even the most hardcore of fans can now see that Gibson is utterly incapable of running a football club these days. Praying the Red Bull lads come back in but doubt Gibson would entertain any offers anyway. Seems determined to send us into League 1!