oneBoro Forum

Boro V Blackburn (A) 0-1

Saturday 17th August 2019 - 3pm KO - Ewood Park

Preview:

Both sides come into this fixture following home league cup fixtures against lower league opposition - Blackburn oversaw a battling Oldham side 3:2, whilst Boro only turned up for the last 15 minutes against Crewe and were knocked out on penalties. 

Blackburn have a host of familiar faces in their employment with Tony Mowbray has several ex-Boro players in his ranks including; Harry Chapman, Danny Graham, Richie Smallwood, Stewart Downing and Jayson Leutwiler. There is a decent 5 a-side team in there!

Both sides have only won 2 of their last 6 competitive fixtures stretching back into last season and Jonathan Woodgate will want to come off on top in the battle of the two ex Boro centre backs.

Last Time Out (League):

Boro

Lets look past the penalty defeat to Crewe for a moment after 10 changes to the starting line up and back to the defeat at home to Brentford. Boro had a great first half and could possibly been 2-0 up at half time after come controversial refereeing decisions - but those goals were chalked off and Woodgates side were unable to keep up the pace and pressing of the first half and succumbed to a much improved Bee's side who stole a 1-0 victory from under the noses of the Boro faithful.

Match Highlights (Stolen from Brentford FC's YouTube)

Blackburn

A superb Tom Cairney goal helped Fulham record their first victory of the fledgling season with a comfortable 2-0 win over Blackburn Rovers at Craven Cottage.

The Fulham captain, who endured a frustrating season in the Premier League, demonstrated the poise, positional sense and positivity which sets him apart at Championship level.

One to Watch:

It would be typical Boro if one of their former players were to nick a winner in stoppage time and they have plenty to look out for, but its ex Boro target Bradley Dack who is my pick of the Blackburn Squad. 

spacer.png

The ex Gillingham man got his first goal of the new season in the league cup, the London born attacker got 15 goals last season and will be looking to push on this season!

Talking Points:

- Who will be Boro's penalty taker going forward?

- Will we see two fullbacks playing at fullback?

- Who makes your starting line up?

- Will Boro pick their first win of the season this weekend?

• Like 5
  • Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi very long time reader, and I usually love reading what people have got to say but do people really think we are relegation candidates if we don’t win our next match. I know it has not been the grea

Saturday 17th August 2019 - 3pm KO - Ewood Park Preview: Both sides come into this fixture following home league cup fixtures against lower league opposition - Blackburn oversaw a battling O

Ok far too many members have now been made aware that in the opinion of Riverside Dreamer moderating action by Boro_Unger was unfair and uncalled for and some members were siding with his views.

Posted Images

Great effort for your first match day thread (hopefully more to come) Sarumite.

This does not have 0-0 written all over it and at this time the double we did over Blackburn last season seems so far away.

You just know that at least one ex Boro player will score on Saturday and the odds it being Downing must be short I would think.

We need something out of this game and as far as points go would be happy with a draw but that makes things harder to get that first elusive win.

Big test I would imagine Tony will be looking forward to the arrival of Boro.

If a penalty is awarded I think we will see JW backing Britt and allowing him to take it as a last chance saloon

Penalty Taker - Fletcher

Fullbacks - Have a feeling it might be Howson Coulson after two less than impressive debuts

Starting line up - Probably the same that started against Brentford to be honest, Maybe Friend in for Shotton.

Optimistic about a win, we can't lose every game till the end of the season... can we?

• Like 1

I wouldnt let Britt the next penna... What would happen if he blasted a fourth over? 

Who would get most stick Then... Britt or Woody? 

Second.. I wanna see high pressure at the right times with the right amount of players, NOT kamikaze.. Cause Dack and Co Will punish that Hard... 

Same team as Brentford bar Friend for Shotton

• Like 2

I think Britt takes the next one too, to be honest.

I think Howson will go back to right-back on last night's showing, Woody wanted them to stake a claim and barring 3 players, he said they haven't done that.

Predicted Line-up:

Randolph

Howson Ayala Friend Coulson

McNair Clayton Wing

Johnson Britt Fletch

Pretty much Friend in for Shotton, he did alright last night as a centre-back, grew into the game anyway.

I don't think it will be a win but a draw, hopefully.

I'd go with;

Randolph

Dijksteel Ayala Friend Coulson

Howson McNair Wing

Johnson Britt Fletcher

I think Dijksteel wasn't too bad and we need him to pin down that position so I'd keep him in there and let the man play. Friend in for Shotton for obvious reasons, when's Dael Fry back does anyone know? Coulson at LB, Bola looks well far off it atm, Coulson worries me at LB defensively, but should improve with each game.

Howson, McNair, Wing is the best midfield trio in my opinion, and most teams in the division would love to have them three in the middle.

Johnson and Fletcher have done great so far, so no reason to drop them, and Browne didn't do much last night to convince he's ready for a start.

Britt needs confidence and to bag a couple of goals, if we drop him it's only going to hurt his confidence for the rest of the season.

Shotton for Friend, that's the only change I think might be made. Unless Dijksteel starts and Howson moves to midfield over Clayton.

I'd let Assombalonga take the next penalty, 4th time's the charm, as his confidence must be rock bottom right now. He actually took and scored a decent penalty for us against Leeds, so I'm not sure why he's skied the other 3 he's taken.

13 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Shotton for Friend, that's the only change I think might be made. Unless Dijksteel starts and Howson moves to midfield over Clayton.

I'd let Assombalonga take the next penalty, 4th time's the charm, as his confidence must be rock bottom right now. He actually took and scored a decent penalty for us against Leeds, so I'm not sure why he's skied the other 3 he's taken.

I dont know why he keeps trying to put them high, he isn't doing that by accident. Surely he realises something he is doing isn't working.

• Thanks 1

The next penalty is tricky.. it could be a while waiting for it too. Ideally it comes when we've got a decent (2+ goals)  advantage in a game and the scoring of it isn't vital. If that's the case, Britt takes it for me. If it's 90+ mins and the game is level, my thought process might be different...

Tricky game this, we need to improve as a pressing unit, were still half doing it leaving space at times.

Randolph

Dijksteel - Ayala - Friend - Coulson

Howson - McNair - Wing

Johnson - Britt - Fletcher

Is how I'd go. Clayton looks a bit lost in the press and is found too deep now allowing the back 4 to squeeze too, McNair clearly gets the press better and has been all energy so far this season. I think Howson is our best all round midfielder and Wing does what Wing does.

No need to tinker with our front 3 yet

34 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I'd go with;

Randolph

Dijksteel Ayala Friend Coulson

Howson McNair Wing

Johnson Britt Fletcher

I'd go with this team, Howson as the sitter though rather than Mcnair. Can't really drop Johnson as he hasn't done a lot wrong however I want Browne to start playing asap. I just feel that with Johnson we are seeing him at his best at the moment and even that is kinda average whereas I believe Browne has the potential to be a much better player. 

I'm with Jimmy, let McNair sit.

I think he's got more in the tank than Howson energy wise and also has more defensive qualities having played right back and center back through large parts of his time at Man Utd.

Randolph

Dicksteel - Ayala - Friend - Coulson

Howson - McNair - Wing

Johnson - Britt - Fletcher

That's the linup I agree with . Plenty of  legs in that midfield and Fletcher is on fire while Britt is still one of the best strikers in the league. Think Johnson deserves another start and we need to get Dijksteel settled at RB. Shotton out is a no brainer to me. Decent backup but he shouldn't start. That said I'm less than convinced that Friend is a good CB in this league. Pray that Fry is ready soon.

9 minutes ago, Sarumite said:

I'm with Jimmy, let McNair sit.

I think he's got more in the tank than Howson energy wise and also has more defensive qualities having played right back and center back through large parts of his time at Man Utd.

But he has been the best player on the pitch for large stretches when hes allowed to run and press high. I'm not sure I want to lose that having him sit deeper.

• Like 2

Just hoping Fry is back for this one. 

The whole defence has been shocking.  Can't see Clayton or Gestede playing after last night's effort or lack of.

Going to go with (based on Fry still being unfit)

Randolph

Djicksteel   Ayala      Friend       Bola

Howson

McNair             Wing

Johnson                                   Coulson

Fletcher

Going to be tough, think we will lose again, going 2 - 1 to Blackburn. Dack, Downing and Fletcher with the goals