oneBoro Forum

Boro V Wigan 1-0 (Assombalonga)

Middlesbrough vs Wigan Athletic

Can Woody push Middlesbrough to the Premier League with everything set against him?

woody.jpg.6c5c37bf77f2a1a185d11eb0898ba022.jpg

Match Information:

Boro play the Mighty Tics at the riverside on Tuesday at 7:45. Woodgate really needs to scratch that itch and win his first competitive game in charge of his hometown club. This match is also available on Sky using the red button. 

Last time out Middlesbrough slumped to a 1-0 defeat to another North Lancashire side, so we'll be looking to quickly restore some Yorkshire pride! 

Injury News:

Dael Fry is approaching a return to full fitness and it can't come quickly enough for a side that's leaking goals and failing to play it out from the back, it remains to be seen whether he is fit enough to start in this one. Coulson is out for a couple of weeks and Friend is touch and go.

View from the other side:

Nothing as of yet... 

Questions:

Any changes to the team that lost against Blackburn? 

Whats the most annoying thing you've ever been bitten by? 

What will the score be? 

Is promotion still the goal this season? 

Is there any chance that we're relegated this season? 

• Like 4
  • Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We got 3 points, that's far more positive than anything else we've done this season. I said before the game I'd take a scrappy win and I'm delighted we did just that in the end. May not have crossed y

That's not a happy face.. That's just Karanka yelling at Downing very angrily, while Leo is calling for the stewards to come and get Aitor! ?

First win of the season, first clean sheet of the season and more importantly first win on a match day thread I've done, the curse is lifted! 

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, Foogle said:

Middlesbrough vs Wigan Athletic

Can Woody achieve his seemingly impossible task of leading Middlesbrough to promotion with everything set against him?

Match Information:

Boro play the Mighty Tics at the riverside on Tuesday at 7:45. Woody really needs to scratch that itch and win his first competitive game in charge of his hometown club. 

Last time out Middlesbrough slumped to a 1-0 defeat to another North Lancashire side, so we'll be looking to quickly restore some Yorkshire pride! 

View from the otherside:

Nothing as of yet... 

Questions:

What will the score be? 

Any changes to the team that lost against Blackburn? 

Give Browne a start to see how he does. 

Whats the most annoying thing you've ever been bitten by? 

Green ants - aggressive little buggers they are.

What will the score be? 

0-1 after Shotton concedes a late penalty, the team are booed off and Woodgate beats up Anthony Vickers in the press conference. 

No, I don't think it ever has been a realistic goal.

Yes if we are unlucky with injuries. 

• Like 1

This game is available on the red button tomorrow allowing many Boro fans far and wide to hopefully see a performance that finally grabs 3 points.

So important that the Riverside becomes not quite a fortress but a place where it is very hard for away teams to take points.

We need to outplay Wigan and basically score more goals than they do.

With are current situation and our own perceived ideas as to what to expect from Boro then it is not a tmigots..so far!

Lose this one and the Millwall game most certainly will be.

Massive week in terms of not hope so much but belief!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Foogle said:

Questions:

What will the score be? 

Bring back Clayton! And get Shotton in the bin.

My cat, which is particularly annoying since I am the source of everything good in her life, and yet she still nips me.

A scrappy 1-1, which the Gazette will euphemistically describe as "lacklustre".

No chance. Which leads me onto the next answer...

Relegation could happen to us, since it did happen to Man City, Southampton, Ipswich et al. Having a few good players doesn't guarantee survival (think our 97 PL season proved that).

• Like 2

Bola for Shotton, move Friend inside. Browne for Britt seems like a move worth making at this point too. Clayts perhaps in for Dijksteel too.

My cats.

What will the score be? 

2-0 to the Boro, come on lads.

Was it ever? Outside of Woodgate and Keane's heads, anyway (where that idea is fine to fester).

I don't think so. I think at worst we'll be lower mid-table, there are worse sides than us in this division, for me.

• Like 1

Clayts back in, Friend to CB, Bola and Browne in  

My ex wife

What will the score be? 

0-0 

No, of course not, not with this team  

A few injuries and a run of bad results could see us in a bit of a pickle. Woodgate needs his first win, that’s what annoyed me so much about his team selection against Crewe. It was a chance to get a positive result.

I bet the 1st team players can manage 2 games in a week, this week!

• Like 1

Drop Shotton for Fry, Bola in for Friend, and get Browne on the pitch.

Whats the most annoying thing you've ever been bitten by?

The sporting bug, too invested in too many results and I'm always ending up a little bit *** off.

What will the score be?

Hoping for a comfortable Boro win, we're due one. I'll go for 2-0

In my eyes, promotion was never the realistic goal this season. Top half would be an achievement.

Is there any chance we're relegated this season?

I don't think we're at real risk of relegation, but you never know, look at Reading twice just avoiding relegation after losing out on promotion in a penalty shootout.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Downsouth said:

This game is available on the red button tomorrow allowing many Boro fans far and wide to hopefully see a performance that finally grabs 3 points.

So important that the Riverside becomes not quite a fortress but a place where it is very hard for away teams to take points.

We need to outplay Wigan and basically score more goals than they do.

With are current situation and our own perceived ideas as to what to expect from Boro then it is not a tmigots..so far!

Lose this one and the Millwall game most certainly will be.

Massive week in terms of not hope so much but belief!

Is this your first ever "not a tmigots so far" DS? ?

• Haha 2

I'd bin Shotton, bring back Clayton in midfield and start Browne instead of MJ. It might be Howson instead of Wing with the two new fullbacks playing. 

Randy, Irondick, Ayala, Friend, Ebola, Clayts, Howson, McNair, Fletch, Britt, Browne

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Is this your first ever "not a tmigots so far" DS? ?

Expectations have changed somewhat Joe to be honest and I had noted that on several times where my seldom used phrase was used that Boro simply could not rise to the challenge and we got beaten.

So going to be very careful and timely when next using it. However I stand by what I said about the Millwall game should we not beat Wigan tomorrow, hmm reminds me that I should prewarn the next match day author as nobody has done two consecutive threads.……………..so far!!!!

Whilst I want foogle to continue at least we have Boro_Unger next!

• Haha 1

Great opening post @Foogle.

Shotton out the first 11, Friend in a central position (If Fry isn't fit), and Bola at left-back. I'd persist with the midfield 3 at Blackburn, but I'd want Wing and McNair back to pressing and Howson sitting. I'd maybe give Fletcher a crack up top, with Browne coming in on the left.

Whats the most annoying thing you've ever been bitten by? 

A parrot.

What will the score be? 

2-1 to us.

I don't think promotion has ever been an actual goal, being up in the top 10 is a possibility. But I think our actual goal is a season of consolidation, rebalancing the books and a complete tactical overhaul.

No, over a 46 game season we certainly have enough about us to be nowhere near relegation.

• Like 2

This feels like a massive game for Woody and our season in general - would be great to get a win and inject a bit of confidence. Watched Reading yesterday and that 3-0 has changed the whole mood around the club.

Shotton needs dropping for literally anyone - Woody himself could probably do better. Choose Britt or Fletcher as CF, drop the other and start Browne. Bola and Dijksteel have to play or they'll never improve - defences take a while to gel.

Randolph

Dijksteel - Ayala - Fry - Bola

Wing - Clayton - McNair

Johnson - Fletcher - Browne

• Like 1

Maybe a bit contentious but if Fry is involved would it not be better for all concerned that he played in a back four that he is more used to playing with?

Different back line might put more individual pressure on him but I feel that if he is playing with guys he is used to he will be more settled.

George Friend if playing needs to take things up a notch or two because he is fast becoming the weakest link, Shotton I believe will get better with Fry being in the team.

Just a personal view point I hasten to add and not because he is Teddy's favourite player, who will be glued to the box tomorrow and watching his every move!:classic_wink:

16 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Maybe a bit contentious but if Fry is involved would it not be better for all concerned that he played in a back four that he is more used to playing with?

Different back line might put more individual pressure on him but I feel that if he is playing with guys he is used to he will be more settled.

George Friend if playing needs to take things up a notch or two because he is fast becoming the weakest link, Shotton I believe will get better with Fry being in the team.

Just a personal view point I hasten to add and not because he is Teddy's favourite player, who will be glued to the box tomorrow and watching his every move!:classic_wink:

Hes good enough that he will comfortably cope with anyone hes playing with, imo. If he does play get him with the first choice back 4 asap.