oneBoro Forum

Boro V Wigan 1-0 (Assombalonga)

The second half got slightly better but we still looked like strangers at times. I thought McNair and Ayala were the pick of the bunch and on a positive noe Bola looks like he can make the step up, Browne was just trying too hard.

• Like 2
  • Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We got 3 points, that's far more positive than anything else we've done this season. I said before the game I'd take a scrappy win and I'm delighted we did just that in the end. May not have crossed y

That's not a happy face.. That's just Karanka yelling at Downing very angrily, while Leo is calling for the stewards to come and get Aitor! ?

First win of the season, first clean sheet of the season and more importantly first win on a match day thread I've done, the curse is lifted! 

Posted Images

Happy with 3 points and a win, but not so happy with the performance at all, bit slapstick and disjointed in places, with lots of errors in places. 

Mr Stroud, goodness me you had a corker mate. Him and the west stand lino were just guessing decisions towards the end there. 

8 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Makes sense now I guess, thought Browne was one of our best players first half, think we’ll have a decent player if he can get a bit more confidence about him.

He's a young lad and hopefully if we start playing a bit more confidently he'll have better players around him to help him. Certainly not going to blame the lad too much for his entire performance when he had *** all to work with. But I did not think he had a good game at all and despite the better second half performance all round, I think Johnson looked lightyears ahead of him. Even on the left wing where I usually think he's rubbish, he looks born again. Perhaps getting away from Pulis did him good.

Really pleased with the 3 points and as Brunner said there were some nice interchanges. Not enough but at least it is there. As well as learning a new system we also have to learn to play against the counter system, which will change from week to week. Some more points on the board will allow us to do that with a bit less pressure. Millwall then Bristol City away. 2 positive results (4pts)? before the international break and I think we will play more confidently for longer during games. 

• Like 1

Didn't see all of it as my stream kept jumping in and out but what I did see was awful. My summary of what I did see.

- I missed his goal but Britt's all round play is terrible. The man does not know how to hold the ball up. 

- Browne was terrible. He showed a bit of promise of the bench against Luton but has been very poor since then.

- Our recruitment in the summer has proven to be extremely bad, so far. I worried that all our signings were League 1 players but hoped they would be able to make the step up but so far all three look like League 1 players. Still early days but I am not liking what I've seen from them so far. I think the fact that I'd prefer to have Howson starting instead of Dijksteel at right back, Coulson over Bola at left back and Johnson over Browne says it all, really.

- Ayala and Shotton, as much as they will get abuse this evening, actually defended well this evening. They aren't, and never will be, footballing centre halves and therefore do not suit the style of football, which I imagine, we are trying to play but they done their primary jobs well tonight.

- Randolph solid as ever.

- Fletcher anonymous for most of the play that I saw.

- McNair probably our best player on the night. Though, that wasn't difficult.

- Worst game I think I've seen Clayton have.

- Likewise for Wing. He's been pretty poor this season. Even in the Luton game I thought he was poor, his fantastic strike aside obviously. 

- End of the day, it's 3 points and I think this could be a massive 3 points come the end of the season. Unfortunately, I think we will be down near the relegation positions come the end of the season. We are trying to play a style of football which very few of our players are capable of playing. And I think Wigan will be one of the other teams down there too so these 3 points could be significant come the season end. As long as we stay in this division, blood a few youngsters, continue to get rid of the deadwood, reduce the wage bill, progress towards a more positive playing style and get in a few more players who conform to this style of play then hopefully we will be in a better position to move things forward next summer.

• Like 1

Randolph 7.5 Didn't have much to do, what he did he did with class and style

Howson 8 looked like a prem league RB, the best passer on the pitch and the best cross of the game

Ayala 6.5 a few loose passes and not quite fully up to speed. But, competed well, cleared his lines without messing about, only the one rash challenge (leading arm)

Shotton 5 poor, poor distribution, seemed to get under the header too often

Bola 6 looked good once he settled first half. 

Clayton 5 loose passing, get cuaght dwelling on the ball, too slow off the ball, chased shadows

McNair 7.5 classy in the middle looked a bit frustrated at times at the lack of moment around and ahead of him

Wing 4.5 poor passing, very poor off the ball, was wandering around without really any idea how to close as a unit

Fletcher 6 always looked on the edge of causing issues, put a shift in

Britt 6 I'll give him a point for the movement for the goal and for putting in a shift, but his general play wasn't great

Browne 5.5 Was trying too hard and getting a bit frustrated. Needs to relax and it'll happen

Subs:

Johnson 6 did a job, showed pace

Saville 5 little impact vs 10 men

Gestede 4 did he make a pass or a tackle?

Ref 2

• Like 2

Aye think Wing needs a rest. Been off it the last few games. Not been the player he was last year so far.

Although Shotton was and is terrible with the ball, I thought he actually defended well tonight. Fair play. Still can’t wait till Fry is back though. 

Bola was decent as well.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

Next game 

Randz
Ayala, Paddy, Fry
Howson, Wing, Saville, Bola
Browne
Fletcher, Britt

Wingbacks and a 10

Actually think that formation suits our team better, however I would go for slightly different personnel:

-------------------Randolph----------------------

----------Fry------Ayala-----Friend------------

Howson-------------------------------Coulson

--------------McNair-----Wing------------------

-------------------Tavernier----------------------

-------------Britt---------Fletcher---------------

If Friend is fit, I would like McNair in midfield as I think we would lose his energy in midfield if we took him out of there.

If Coulson is fit, I would have him over Bola as I think he has shown much more than Bola has in the minutes each player has player.

Toss of a coin between Tav and Browne. Neither have shown much so far. But Browne has had more time to prove himself so far and hasn't done enough so I think Tav should be given the chance over Browne.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Actually think that formation suits our team better, however I would go for slightly different personnel:

-------------------Randolph----------------------

----------Fry------Ayala-----Friend------------

Howson-------------------------------Coulson

--------------McNair-----Wing------------------

-------------------Tavernier----------------------

-------------Britt---------Fletcher---------------

If Friend is fit, I would like McNair in midfield as I think we would lose his energy in midfield if we took him out of there.

If Coulson is fit, I would have him over Bola as I think he has shown much more than Bola has in the minutes each player has player.

Toss of a coin between Tav and Browne. Neither have shown much so far. But Browne has had more time to prove himself so far and hasn't done enough so I think Tav should be given the chance over Browne.

I like that as well
Just put out my personnel from who is fit ? 

Tav could be a good 10 actually 

Coulson is the natural wingback, if u ask me .. 
Howson is a good makeshift wingback aswell and we will get him further up the pitch instead of him as a fullback .. 

Just got a feeling Paddy could spread some good balls from the defense and .. if they are 3 central he could move a little into midfield, when we dominate

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, J.T. said:

We are trying to play a style of football which very few of our players are capable of playing. And I think Wigan will be one of the other teams down there too so these 3 points could be significant come the season end. As long as we stay in this division, blood a few youngsters, continue to get rid of the deadwood, reduce the wage bill, progress towards a more positive playing style and get in a few more players who conform to this style of play then hopefully we will be in a better position to move things forward next summer.

I think this is very pertinent. People often quote Norwich as being the template for us. We are at least a full season behind where Farke started. In his first season he was allowed to bring in 5/6 players, mostly German midfielders that he was able to bed in. The following season he brought in another 4/5 as well as talented youngsters. As you say, until we can rebuild the squad with the correct attributes it will be a season for Woodgate and his team to gain experience and try to bring out a style of play with what he has.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Anyone know the last time we scored a league goal in the second half at home?

Just looked and if I’m not mistaken, it was... 19th January(!!!) against Milwall. 90th minute pen from Hugill.

That stat is actually quite worrying..