oneBoro Forum

Boro V Wigan 1-0 (Assombalonga)

Happy with the 3 points but awful game, thought our passing 1st half was atrocious, Browne was very poor correct decision to sub him. The standard of referring in this division is criminal this fella tonight was absolute garbage, doesn't believe in handball or players winning 50/50 balls. We play as we did tonight against Millwall and we'll get turned over. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We got 3 points, that's far more positive than anything else we've done this season. I said before the game I'd take a scrappy win and I'm delighted we did just that in the end. May not have crossed y

That's not a happy face.. That's just Karanka yelling at Downing very angrily, while Leo is calling for the stewards to come and get Aitor! ?

First win of the season, first clean sheet of the season and more importantly first win on a match day thread I've done, the curse is lifted! 

Posted Images

that first half ,bar about  10 minutes  was painful to watch and we looked national league level .  terrible passes  ,there must have been at least two dozen that either went straight to an opponent or directly out of play  and you cant pin those down to one or two players  either.  players not showing for the ball  and that  (added to the previous couple of displays)  lead to a  morgue like atmosphere in the stadium.  the goal was completely out of  sync with everything that went  on around it as it actually came from some good passing and build up play.   Second half  we settled down passing wise but needed a second goal  against what was probably likely to be the worst team we will encounter  this season.  we didnt get it which lead to a  fear of dropping two points if somehow Wigan could muster a  goal from somewhere.  Happily though despite  all those points , we got a welcome 3 points  that may ease a bit of the tension that was building  on and off the pitch .

some bizarre refereeing decisions again  especially thier corner in injury time  after thier player clearly headed it behind. Browne in my mind was substituted as he was perilously close to being red carded .   plus points  in a drab game  individual wise   were  decent performances in patches from  Bola, Howson and  Fltecher.    

• Like 2

What we (also) need .. Is players moving without the ball, which makes space for us to move WITH the ball .. We are too static at times .. 

Someone knows a good exorcist to drive the Pulis out of our players? ?

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Makes sense now I guess, thought Browne was one of our best players first half, think we’ll have a decent player if he can get a bit more confidence about him.

He was crap and that's being generous to him.  There were two bad sides out there and he was one of the worst players on the pitch.  Were you mixing him up with someone else?

11 minutes ago, Foogle said:

First win of the season, first clean sheet of the season and more importantly first win on a match day thread I've done, the curse is lifted! 

10 in a row Foogle ?

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

What we (also) need .. Is players moving without the ball, which makes space for us to move WITH the ball .. We are too static at times .. 

Someone knows a good exorcist to drive the Pulis out of our players? ?

We need an asteroid ☄️ 

thats what ended the dinosaurs ? 

• Haha 3

I haven't watched the game back yet, but these are my initial thoughts on the game itself.

First 20 minutes I think our players thought we were playing in blue. We could not string a decent set of passes together. Then very much against the run of play we actually played some decent football down the right and ended up with Britt scoring with a very well taken header. After that the whole team seemed to up a gear or 2. We still made sloppy mistakes but on the whole for the rest of the 1st half we played a lot better and seemed to actually gain a lot of confidence from the goal.

2nd half started awful, much like the first half. And to compound the slow starts we were not helped by a referee who was not on good form at all. Wigan looked like the better team and had a few opportunities to potentially draw level. Then we made the change to a back 3 and the 2 wingbacks. Which at first was a bit sloppy, and I felt invited pressure on to ourselves. But once the players got settled into that formation we showed some flashes of very positive football. Whatever system we play we now need to extend those flashes into consistent periods of play.

Very happy that we have our first win, happy that there are some positive signs of us going in the right direction. This is still a team getting to grips with a new system in my opinion and because of that it shows up a lot in our play. We still seem uncertain at times when to press and when not to, a few times 1 or 2 players would press and the rest wouldn't, which would then leave big gaps in midfield and out wide. But a win is a win! UTB!!

Edited by DanFromDownSouth
  • Like 2
Just now, LinoJo3 said:

Talking of 2nd halves it’s becoming a trend that we play pretty poorly in 2nd halfs so far

We've also been poor in a few first halves - Crewe, tonight and Blackburn.  Maybe it's cos we are poor ?

5 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Talking of 2nd halves it’s becoming a trend that we play pretty poorly in 2nd halfs so far

its strange. Lampard is having the same trouble at Chelsea and he has just taken over from a pragmatist as well.

I don't think Wing was that bad today...okay so he's not putting in some of the quality that we've seen him perform, so maybe he's poor by his own lofty standards, and some of his passing tonight at times (early on especially) was a bit sloppy, but he started a number of our foray forwards and he was one of the only players always making himself available for a pass. Played a few delightful through balls as well, including a delicious one that Fletcher fired into the atmosphere.

12 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

I looked, and we last scored a 2nd half league goal at home was 19th January.

It is concerning, whether it’s fitness or mentality I don’t know, but that is a long time.

3 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

its strange. Lampard is having the same trouble at Chelsea and he has just taken over from a pragmatist as well.

It's not strange.  We're a poor side and we've had maybe one reasonable 45 mins this season - the first half against Brentford.  We weren't that good against Luton, we were awful against Crewe, we did nothing against Blackburn and we were crap tonight.  The 'trend' is that we are a poor side who have played poorly in both halves of most of our games so far.  

2nd half Wing looked tired, just seemed to drop well off the pace. When Saville was coming on I thought it would be in Wing's place, then Woody threw a huge curveball and took Bola off! 

Also I must say really wasn't not impressed with Clayton tonight (Sorry @Brunners please don't ban me!). Played himself into trouble and dawdled on the ball a bit too much. Against Brentford you could excuse him a bit as everyone in front of him was static.