oneBoro Forum

Boro V Wigan 1-0 (Assombalonga)

Just to add, Browne seemed to be trying too hard to impress. I think in League 1 his trickery and quick passes probably did catch a lot of defenders out. But it did not work for him tonight. Big example I can think of is 1st half he picked it up centrally, and instead of taking a touch and sending a ball down the left for Britt. He tried to rush it through quickly and it was intercepted in a dangerous area.

Think if he slows down his thought process slightly and thinks for a second he will be a very good player for us.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We got 3 points, that's far more positive than anything else we've done this season. I said before the game I'd take a scrappy win and I'm delighted we did just that in the end. May not have crossed y

That's not a happy face.. That's just Karanka yelling at Downing very angrily, while Leo is calling for the stewards to come and get Aitor! ?

First win of the season, first clean sheet of the season and more importantly first win on a match day thread I've done, the curse is lifted! 

Posted Images

Why are people trying to talk up a performance that if it had been a game back in March would have seen Pulis ripped to shreds on here?  What is it that some of you think is happening because I'm not seeing anything at all.  If we string a few passes together somebody comes on here and talks about signs of us playing better football?  Eh?  We could actually string some passes together at times last season as well, they are professional footballers playing the second tier of English football so of course they can do that occasionally.  There was maybe one genuinely good passage of play from us tonight (not the goal) and the reason there was only one is because it's all just off the cuff.  If it was part of our evolution as a team then it would be repeatable, even just a handful of times but it's not.  I don't think this group currently has a clue what they are supposed to do and that includes the coaching staff.  I hope it somehow clicks soon, I really do.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Easier said than done I know. Just before anyone picks!

I think you are correct. Hopefully Keane will have a word. When he first started out he played inside left so knows what its all about. 

14 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Why are people trying to talk up a performance that if it had been a game back in March would have seen Pulis ripped to shreds on here?  What is it that some of you think is happening because I'm not seeing anything at all.  If we string a few passes together somebody comes on here and talks about signs of us playing better football?  Eh?  We could actually string some passes together at times last season as well, they are professional footballers playing the second tier of English football so of course they can do that occasionally.  There was maybe one genuinely good passage of play from us tonight (not the goal) and the reason there was only one is because it's all just off the cuff.  If it was part of our evolution as a team then it would be repeatable, even just a handful of times but it's not.  I don't think this group currently has a clue what they are supposed to do and that includes the coaching staff.  I hope it somehow clicks soon, I really do.

Not seen a single person on here trying to talk up the game or make out that it was a good performance.

Excellent goal, absolutely woeful refereeing, shaky and nervous from the players. Lots of negatives, but we got the 3 points we needed.

11 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Why are people trying to talk up a performance that if it had been a game back in March would have seen Pulis ripped to shreds on here?

Some people like to be positive after a win. I don't see why that sounds so alien to you.

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

but then what would you have to complain about?

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

Some people like to be positive after a win. I don't see why that sounds so alien to you.

I'm not sure CT knows what the word means, if he tried to be positive I think his brain would melt.

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, wilsoncgp said:

Because there is nothing to be positive about?  We actually played better at times last season than we did tonight.  So what's there to be positive about exactly?  We were rubbish but we won?  

6 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Not seen a single person on here trying to talk up the game or make out that it was a good performance.

Excellent goal, absolutely woeful refereeing, shaky and nervous from the players. Lots of negatives, but we got the 3 points we needed.

I never said that people were suggesting it was a good performance.  Nobody in their right mind could come away from that game suggesting it was a good performance.  I said talking a game up that had it been last season would have seen the then manager ripped to shreds.

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

Because there is nothing to be positive about?  We actually played better at times last season than we did tonight.  So what's there to be positive about exactly?  We were rubbish but we won?  

We got 3 points, that's far more positive than anything else we've done this season. I said before the game I'd take a scrappy win and I'm delighted we did just that in the end. May not have crossed your mind but people have different things they feel positive about. Just because you come out of the match tonight thinking the season is still a *** miserable one, that doesn't mean everyone else should too. Nothing to be positive about? Maybe for you but for other people? Give me a break, bloody hell.

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I never said that people were suggesting it was a good performance.  Nobody in their right mind could come away from that game suggesting it was a good performance.  I said talking a game up that had it been last season would have seen the then manager ripped to shreds.

Who's done that in this thread?

Just seems like you're offended that people aren't raging.

Despite the poor performance, there were positives to be found. Britt scored an excellent goal, McNair and Howson played well, we managed to get 3 points despite the best efforts of the referee and nobody was injured.

Could even point to the fact that despite his shambolic passing, Shotton did fairly well defensively after a weak start.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I imagine because last season it fit the narrative that most people on here wanted Pulis out but they are more willing for the next man to succeed.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TAPOUT said:

I imagine because last season it fit the narrative that most people on here wanted Pulis out but they are more willing for the next man to succeed.

Pulis was 18 months into a job and had years worth of prior material to judge him on.

Woodgate has had 4 competitive league games and is trying to revamp the team.

Makes sense to me that people are more willing to give woody some leeway.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, SmogDane said:

Still better than Pulis Ball 

2 hours ago, Brunners said:

Come off it, his first yellow was soft as *** so the only reason he was close to a red in the first half was the ref in the first place.

Played some decent stuff in very, very short spurts here and there, but again overall not a great performance. Got the monkey off our backs though and hopefully we can push on..

2 hours ago, LinoJo3 said:

First half was decent at times thought it was a good decision to go 3 at the back I thought but *** me pulis would have been proud of that haha.

2 hours ago, Brunners said:

I honestly think we played some nice stuff in the second half, especially after going 3 at the back. It's still really raw but I saw flashes of what we could be. Thing is doing it consistently now.

1 hour ago, TAPOUT said:

Really pleased with the 3 points and as Brunner said there were some nice interchanges. Not enough but at least it is there. As well as learning a new system we also have to learn to play against the counter system, which will change from week to week. Some more points on the board will allow us to do that with a bit less pressure. Millwall then Bristol City away. 2 positive results (4pts)? before the international break and I think we will play more confidently for longer during games. 

57 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Very happy that we have our first win, happy that there are some positive signs of us going in the right direction. This is still a team getting to grips with a new system in my opinion and because of that it shows up a lot in our play. We still seem uncertain at times when to press and when not to, a few times 1 or 2 players would press and the rest wouldn't, which would then leave big gaps in midfield and out wide. But a win is a win! UTB!!

There's a few comments.  Please note, I didn't say that people were saying it was a good performance but that they are trying to talk up a performance that would have seen Pulis ripped on here.  

• Confused 2