oneBoro Forum

Boro V Wigan 1-0 (Assombalonga)

It’s good to see that the Paddy McNair that we were thought we were getting when we bought him last season is now reaching his potential.

Has been our most consistently good player this season so far, first name on the team sheet.

• Like 5
  • Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We got 3 points, that's far more positive than anything else we've done this season. I said before the game I'd take a scrappy win and I'm delighted we did just that in the end. May not have crossed y

That's not a happy face.. That's just Karanka yelling at Downing very angrily, while Leo is calling for the stewards to come and get Aitor! ?

First win of the season, first clean sheet of the season and more importantly first win on a match day thread I've done, the curse is lifted! 

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Changing Times said:

You see, this is where I don't get it.  Because I haven't seen any evidence whatsoever of us playing a more creative, entertaining, positive brand of football and if you're telling me there was tonight then honestly mate I just don't see it at all.  That might be Woodgate's ultimate goal but not tonight it wasn't, not even close.

Difference of opinion, I think is the case with this. Yesterday was shocking and I have even said so myself. But I do think after we scored the goal, we seemed to have a bit more confidence about us, and we did in my opinion show some promise.

Like I said previously I do think our goal is the more creative, entertaining, positive brand of football, I'd argue 1st half against Brentford we gave that a real good crack. But last night for the vast majority of the game it was as static, sloppy and as lethargic as when Pulis was here. But again in my opinion I do think I saw some flashes of positive football, not much mind but enough. There was also a few times where you could tell what the players were trying to do, but they could not excute it. 

• Like 1

I think half a season is the absolute minimum needed to judge what Woody is doing - even that is a short time to change the style of a football team. Better coaches with far more resources have needed way longer.

Has the start to the season been that awful? Would people be happier if Britt had scored the pen at Luton and we had gone 2 up against Brentford? 

Yeah last night was boring, I started doing the washing up at about 85 minutes... but under Pulis I wouldn't have put the game on in the first place. Because that was as good as it could ever get with centre halves at full back and four defensive mids hoofing it to bloody Hugill.

We don't know how good (or bad) this current set-up will be, so I'll watch with optimism and interest for now! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, sackrobson2 said:

It feels a bit to me like we were under Monk, no real style of play or organisation.  Monk was sacked because it was still the same after a few months with no signs he knew what he was doing but hopefully under Woodgate we start progressing into an organised outfit.  Hopefully.

Hopefully.

I thought Monk was sacked because of a breakdown with Gibson. Gibbo alleges that Monk/Leeds had agreed a 3mill deal for Fletcher and then 3 months later Monk organised a 7mill deal and used his own agent/mate to broker it? 

I'm not disagreeing that Monks team was disjointed and unorganised and lacking a football philosophy, but I don't believe that is why he was sacked

42 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

It’s good to see that the Paddy McNair that we were thought we were getting when we bought him last season is now reaching his potential.

Has been our most consistently good player this season so far, first name on the team sheet.

................Randolph

Howson.....Ayala........Fry.......xxxx

....................xxxxxx

...McNair..................xxxxxx

..xxxx.........xxxxxx.....xxxxxx

I think we have maybe 5 nailed on starters, the top half of the pitch is still up for grabs

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, BoroMart said:

................Randolph

Howson.....Ayala........Fry.......xxxx

....................xxxxxx

...McNair..................xxxxxx

..xxxx.........xxxxxx.....xxxxxx

I think we have maybe 5 nailed on starters, the top half of the pitch is still up for grabs

I think we only have 4 forwards really in contention to start - at the moment the onle selection headachr seems to be Marv or Browne

21 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Maybe if we want to play out from the back why not try (when fit) a back three of McNair, Fry, friend?

Makes a lot of sense but I would have Ayala instead of Friend in there personally. Paddy and Fry could bring it out while Ayala attacks the ball and commits his borderline assaults - we don't want to be too soft! 

I would still play a 3-5-2 with a 10 and wing backs.

Fletcher and Britt up front and let them stay central .. That will give goals .. 

Coulson/bola and Howson/dijk to bomb on from each side

Tav or Browne as 10 

Wing, Clayton, Paddy, Howson, in the middle 

Ayala, Friend, Fry, Paddy, Wood as central defenders 

There are good cover all the way round for that formation and more players would be used in their better position.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Maybe if we want to play out from the back why not try (when fit) a back three of McNair, Fry, friend?

Even if Woodgate wants to persist with the 4-3-3, could have McNair and Fry at the back. Move Howson into midfield to replace McNair and Dijksteel at Right-back.

42 minutes ago, BoroMart said:

I thought Monk was sacked because of a breakdown with Gibson. Gibbo alleges that Monk/Leeds had agreed a 3mill deal for Fletcher and then 3 months later Monk organised a 7mill deal and used his own agent/mate to broker it? 

I'm not disagreeing that Monks team was disjointed and unorganised and lacking a football philosophy, but I don't believe that is why he was sacked

I don’t think monk was sacked over the mess with he’s agent. The club didn’t know anything about it until Birmingham pointed it out to us.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Yeah after last night Browne is very much a work in progress. Johnson to start and Browne to come on later in the games for me.

Definitely a work in progress. That was one of the worst performances I have seen from someone in a Boro shirt. Don't know whether it was the nerves or what? Definitely think there's a player in there somewhere; but Johnson gets the nod for now!

11 minutes ago, "KM" said:

Definitely a work in progress. That was one of the worst performances I have seen from someone in a Boro shirt. Don't know whether it was the nerves or what? Definitely think there's a player in there somewhere; but Johnson gets the nod for now!

I said last night, I think he was trying too hard, and when it wasn't working he got very frustrated. He ended up almost getting himself an early bath due to his frustration.

Edited by DanFromDownSouth
  • Like 2