oneBoro Forum

Boro V Wigan 1-0 (Assombalonga)

I thought Howson was the stand out player for us last night and despite Saturday's performance I still feel we're losing out not having him in the midfield, in fact our best midfielder in my opinion. We've got to start giving Tav more playing time never a player who's lacking in confidence, always looking to get a shot off. I'd also prefer to see Walker introduced  instead of Gestede,,prefer young  hungry striker to cart horse.

• Like 2
  • Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We got 3 points, that's far more positive than anything else we've done this season. I said before the game I'd take a scrappy win and I'm delighted we did just that in the end. May not have crossed y

That's not a happy face.. That's just Karanka yelling at Downing very angrily, while Leo is calling for the stewards to come and get Aitor! ?

First win of the season, first clean sheet of the season and more importantly first win on a match day thread I've done, the curse is lifted! 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I do remember one where he got sandwiched between two players and went down quite easily. It was outside the box from memory though.

@wilsoncgp could well be this one that I'm thinking of. I could be wrong and it could well have been outside the box. But again the question still remains regarding the booking.

• Like 1

Bola looks a fantastic prospect. His close control and ability to run with the ball looks very good considering he is still 21 and just came up from League 1. In particular I like his trait of quickly releasing the ball on his weaker right foot as it's hard for defenders to read it.

Wing had a very poor performance. Hopefully he can turn it around soon as he's one of our very few sparks of attacking quality so we're far worse of a team when he isn't performing to the high standards that we know he can.

• Like 1

i think Wing  struggles with a few  aspects  of the midfield role  and can be easily  caught out of position  when we lose the ball.  But given his  abilities  as a ball striker and  threading through balls  it would be worth trying him just offf the striker(s).

4 minutes ago, p_mards said:

Bola looks a fantastic prospect. His close control and ability to run with the ball looks very good considering he is still 21 and just came up from League 1. In particular I like his trait of quickly releasing the ball on his weaker right foot as it's hard for defenders to read it.

Wing had a very poor performance. Hopefully he can turn it around soon as he's one of our very few sparks of attacking quality so we're far worse of a team when he isn't performing to the high standards that we know he can.

I think the thing about Wing last season was our midfields starting position was quite deep and as the only one who showed any forward momentum his runs and forward passes looked more effective. He is now getting the ball further up the pitch with less space to work and poor mobility and options from the front 3.

While i don't think we played amazing. I feel like Wigan didn't deserve the win here or even a point. The majority of their attacks came from mistakes we were making and in my opinion i don't think they had any great chances. I agree with @Essuuaitch, the less worse team won.

A positive to take from the game is that at times we looked really good and the football flowed well, but we just couldn't do anything with it once we got to the final 3rd of the pitch. I think its gonna take a while for us to see any drastic improvements and i feel like we need to give Woodgate the opportunity to build the team up. 

I think this will be the start of us turning it around (or well i'd like to think!)

1 hour ago, Brunners said:

That fletcher one I mentioned during the game. He stole in from behind and nicked the ball with zero contact and the wigan player just crumpled to the ground, I think they realised the ref was being very generous to them.

I dont remember the johnson penalty appeal but the fletcher one on the single angle we had on red button just looked like a super tackle rather than a dive.

This is true

But sometimes it's better NOT to complain and show frustration, cause som refs will only get harder and give even less our way. 

It's better to be a seasoned old fox and just smile to the ref and tell him, it's ok to make mistakes.. Them the next 50/50 almost guaranteed goea our way ? 

31 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

I thought Howson was the stand out player for us last night and despite Saturday's performance I still feel we're losing out not having him in the midfield, in fact our best midfielder in my opinion. We've got to start giving Tav more playing time never a player who's lacking in confidence, always looking to get a shot off. I'd also prefer to see Walker introduced  instead of Gestede,,prefer young  hungry striker to cart horse.

I'd have him Claytons position against Millwall. I hope that because it didn't work at all having him as the furthest forward it hasn't put Woodgate off using that midfield 3. We need some players further back who can actually pass a ball. The trio of Clayton Ayala and Shotton is giving me nightmares. 

• Like 1

Just a thought. 

To free Howson from his FB/WB duties ... Could Marcus learn to play his brother James Tavernier's position? It's in his genes... 

Don't shoot me.. Just a thought ?

• Confused 1

Did anyone else notice there was only 2/3 occasions in the whole game that we were really pressing last night? After completely exhausting themselves in the first half against Brentford you’d think they would do it a bit less not abandon doing it all together. Surely Woody won’t be pleased with that, going from one extreme to the other. 

15 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

Just a thought. 

To free Howson from his FB/WB duties ... Could Marcus learn to play his brother James Tavernier's position? It's in his genes... 

Don't shoot me.. Just a thought ?

Think he'll struggle to play football in jeans mate...

I'll show myself out...

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, DevKWat said:

Did anyone else notice there was only 2/3 occasions in the whole game that we were really pressing last night? After completely exhausting themselves in the first half against Brentford you’d think they would do it a bit less not abandon doing it all together. Surely Woody won’t be pleased with that, going from one extreme to the other. 

Yeah I noticed it.  I'm not sure what's going on as apparently we didn't do it at Blackburn so maybe it's been shelved for the time being or it's only being done at certain times.  There were some instances in the second half where we definitely seemed to do it.  Maybe they've decided that rather than knackering themselves out trying to do it in the first half, they will hang on and only do it in the second half? ?

1 hour ago, Dan1234 said:

I'd have him Claytons position against Millwall. I hope that because it didn't work at all having him as the furthest forward it hasn't put Woodgate off using that midfield 3. We need some players further back who can actually pass a ball. The trio of Clayton Ayala and Shotton is giving me nightmares. 

That's not a bad shout, Howson isn't frightened to put his foot in and always looks comfortable with the ball and can pick a pass. I agree Clayton, Ayala and Shotton are an accident waiting to happen.