oneBoro Forum

Boro V Wigan 1-0 (Assombalonga)

Just now, Neverbefore said:

Except monk got handed 50mil to spend and pulis was handed a squad more than capable of getting promoted pre fire sale. I sometimes think you just completely ignore the concept of context!

He does. I'm not sure if its intentional or not. Context means nothing only each individual thing in a vacuum.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We got 3 points, that's far more positive than anything else we've done this season. I said before the game I'd take a scrappy win and I'm delighted we did just that in the end. May not have crossed y

That's not a happy face.. That's just Karanka yelling at Downing very angrily, while Leo is calling for the stewards to come and get Aitor! ?

First win of the season, first clean sheet of the season and more importantly first win on a match day thread I've done, the curse is lifted! 

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Will said:

Was Bola good last night? I'd been really disappointed from what we'd seen so far but seen a couple of people saying he had a good game?

I thought he had a pretty decent game. Went backwards a few too many times but that'll go with time and confidence I think. Wasn't afraid to try and get the ball in the box and when he did get forward he played some nice stuff especially with marv just before bola went off.

2 minutes ago, Will said:

Was Bola good last night? I'd been really disappointed from what we'd seen so far but seen a couple of people saying he had a good game?

Nobody was good.  He wasn't terrible but I think Coulson looked better in the short time I saw of him but in fairness it's difficult to tell.  The way we played yesterday wasn't the way we played against Brentford really or Luton so it's probably not comparing like with like.  With the ball he put a few crosses in that I don't remember amounting to much.  I think he had at least one run with the ball where he beat a man but he kinda looked like he did it accidentally.  Without the ball I think he made a few clearances, I don't remember many tackles from him, maybe he intercepted a pass.  We weren't good for a decent chunk of that first half though and he got wiped out after about 15 mins or so, I don't know if that had any effect on him or not.  I've seen worse league debuts at left back mind, remember Alan Wright ?

6 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Except monk got handed 50mil to spend and pulis was handed a squad more than capable of getting promoted pre fire sale. I sometimes think you just completely ignore the concept of context!

I know he did and people still talked about him needing time, that's my point.  The same thing happened with Pulis, he needed time to sort out the mess than Monk left. It's one of those things that people say but it doesn't really mean anything (to them I mean).  What they actually want to see is clear signs of progress asap.

1 hour ago, Foogle said:

Looking at early tomorrow!

Don't be bullied into rushing it Foogle. You're the only one with a 100% record this season. ?

I just thought I'd get that in there in case it drops to 50% on Saturday ?

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Howson was good. McNair was good. Randolph was good.

I didn't think they were overall.  Randolph made a decent stop but his poor passing almost gave the goal away, should have given the goal away actually, but their lad shot right at Randolph instead of hitting it low and hard.  I don't think he had another save to make all night?  His distribution seemed dodgy to me and in the first half it seemed like him, Shotton and Ayala weren't on the same page.  Howson, I've already said on another thread did ok but had a lot of help from McNair and Clayton and didn't do as much as he could/should have done with the ball.  Lovely cross for the goal though.  McNair was solid but to me that's all he is and he seemed to be spending quite a bit of time playing where I thought Howson should have been.  Mishit a couple of shots, don't remember him setting any chances up but he might have done a few good defensive things?

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I didn't think they were overall.  Randolph made a decent stop but his poor passing almost gave the goal away, should have given the goal away actually, but their lad shot right at Randolph instead of hitting it low and hard.  I don't think he had another save to make all night?  His distribution seemed dodgy to me and in the first half it seemed like him, Shotton and Ayala weren't on the same page.  Howson, I've already said on another thread did ok but had a lot of help from McNair and Clayton and didn't do as much as he could/should have done with the ball.  Lovely cross for the goal though.  McNair was solid but to me that's all he is and he seemed to be spending quite a bit of time playing where I thought Howson should have been.  Mi*** a couple of shots, don't remember him setting any chances up but he might have done a few good defensive things?

28 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

In my opinion I thought Howson was the best player in a Boro shirt 

No, no, CT has said he was bad "didn't think Howson was that good" and that's that.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Brunners said:

No, no, CT has said he was bad and that's that.

I didn't say he was bad and being the best player in a Boro shirt wouldn't necessarily make him good, would it?  If you're going to continue being a *** then at least put some effort in.

27 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Howson, I've already said on another thread did ok but had a lot of help from McNair and Clayton and didn't do as much as he could/should have done with the ball.  Lovely cross for the goal though.

That's what I said on Howson.  No mention of him being bad at all and nothing different to what I said on the ratings thread.

14 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I didn't say he was bad and being the best player in a Boro shirt wouldn't necessarily make him good, would it?  If you're going to continue being a *** then at least put some effort in.

I mean, I would argue being the best player in a Boro shirt would mean he was in with a shout as the best player on the pitch in general, a sentiment to which you responded:

5 hours ago, Changing Times said:

I didn't think Howson was that good last night. The ball he put in for the goal was a beaut, no question, but he seemed kinda hesitant to attack at times, particularly when he had space in front of him and the ball at his feet.  It might have been by instruction but it seemed a bit odd when you think that he's really a midfielder and he has got a good cross on him.  He also had plenty of help as McNair and Clayton were practically holding hands with him most of the evening, which is something I again found odd, as we seem content to leave the left backs almost to their own devices?  Then weirdly, they all get injured ?

And to me that sounds like you saying you thought Howson had a poor night, ergo, he was bad. In fact, that entire statement reads as "I disagree he was the best player on the pitch, his one cross was okay but other than that his flaws were covered by a lot of support". However I concede that you never used the word bad, so okay let me go back and fix my original statement to more accurately describe what you said.

No, no, CT has said he was bad "didn't think Howson was that good" and that's that.

I don’t think anyone really played that great last night, but McNair and Howson probably played the best out of the lot. 

On last night, I thought it was pretty crap but we got the win. I’m not too worried at this point as I I think IF (and it’s a big IF) Woodgates philosophy is going to work it’s going to take a good couple of months till we get up and running. 

Im just hoping we can pick up enough results to keep us in the mix whilst finding our feet, and hopefully the performances will improve!

• Like 2