Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
Foogle

Boro V Wigan 1-0 (Assombalonga)

Recommended Posts

I’d like to see a front 3 of Tav - Fletcher - Browne for Wigan. Johnson has clearly had his 1 decent game and we can’t play Fletcher on the left, we get far too exposed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Foogle said:

Questions:

Any changes to the team that lost against Blackburn? 

Whats the most annoying thing you've ever been bitten by? 

What will the score be? 

Is promotion still the goal this season? 

Is there any chance that we're relegated this season? 

Changes - Hopefully lots, with all the new lads starting

Bitten - Our dog. He either hates me or has no spacial awareness as every time he gets a treat he insists on taking half my hand with it.

Score - 0-0, but hope we win by a couple.

Promotion - No chance

Relegation - Possibility. I honestly thought Pulis managed to almost polish a turd last season. I know a lot are into Pulis bashing, which given the type of football presented to us last season is fair enough but  we have a smaller squad of very similar types of player for each part of the team. We can't mix it up. Its all like for like.

It is all about goals. We still don't have a forward to play the lone striker role. We don't really have a supply route to Assombalonga so he can play his natural game and the front 3 of Britt, Fletcher and Johnson is as dysfunctional as you can get in my eyes. I was hoping for a much better transfer window so low mid table expectation at the minute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are many fans dropping Clayton from there teams as of late? 

He had a good pre season and imo has been good the first few games. I don’t even know why he was dropped last game, I said at the time it was a risk and a pointless one at that. 

I think some people have this grudge against Clayton being boring and the reason as to why we don’t score goals etc. If not, then why are people taking them out of the team? ( genuine question).

For me he’s one of the first names on the team sheet. He knows his job and does it well, no one else in our squad can do it the same as him.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My team, injuries permitting.

Randolph

Howson  Ayala  Fry(?)/Friend  Bola

McNair Clayton Wing

Johnson Fletcher Browne

 

wouldn't totally be against Britt starting and having Fletcher/Browne either side. Feel he needs to be dropped though, been awful every game.

Edited by BoroSmoggie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any changes to the team that lost against Blackburn?

I'd start Bola and play Friend in the centre with Ayala.

Whats the most annoying thing you've ever been bitten by?

The wrestling bug. It's terrible these days and i'm a damn adult and yet I still can't help watching it.

Is promotion still the goal this season?

No, was it ever?

Is there any chance that we're relegated this season?

I don't think so, I expected us to be mid-table/lower half of the table before the season started and that hasn't really changed. We're a team in a transitional period but I don't expect us to get dragged into a relegation battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BoroSmoggie the below is what i wrote about Clayton in the Boro vs Blackburn thread. Think it answers your question about Clayton.

"I do agree that Clayton hasn't been bad this season, but I don't think he has been particularly good either. In fact I think he has been good at the pressing element of our game, thinking back to our 2nd goal vs Luton. But the holding element of his role I don't think he is current doing well and in my opinion I don't think he has ever been particularly good at it. His best football was in Karanka's double pivot system with Leadbitter, who could cover for Clayton's errors and vice versa.

I've always felt that Clayton is a little immobile and because of that it's almost like he waits before deciding to commit to a direction of movement. It's almost like he is being reactionary to oppositon players rather than being proactive.

I'd agree with what @Neverbefore has said, I do think it is a unique role and Clayton is probably the best/most suited player to it in our squad.But I do think if Howson was given a run in the team in that position he would be at the very least a good back-up, but I do think he couldsurpass Clayton in the role."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

@BoroSmoggie the below is what i wrote about Clayton in the Boro vs Blackburn thread. Think it answers your question about Clayton.

 "I do agree that Clayton hasn't been bad this season, but I don't think he has been particularly good either. In fact I think he has been good at the pressing element of our game, thinking back to our 2nd goal vs Luton. But the holding element of his role I don't think he is current doing well and in my opinion I don't think he has ever been particularly good at it. His best football was in Karanka's double pivot system with Leadbitter, who could cover for Clayton's errors and vice versa.

I've always felt that Clayton is a little immobile and because of that it's almost like he waits before deciding to commit to a direction of movement. It's almost like he is being reactionary to oppositon players rather than being proactive.

I'd agree with what @Neverbefore has said, I do think it is a unique role and Clayton is probably the best/most suited player to it in our squad.But I do think if Howson was given a run in the team in that position he would be at the very least a good back-up, but I do think he couldsurpass Clayton in the role."

 

We had a very Clayton esque hole in our midfield on Saturday, so the one thing we learned is we don't really want Wing playing there. I'd be willing to give Howson a go but I just don't think anyone can do the job quite like Clayton, mobility problems and all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Brunners said:

We had a very Clayton esque hole in our midfield on Saturday, so the one thing we learned is we don't really want Wing playing there. I'd be willing to give Howson a go but I just don't think anyone can do the job quite like Clayton, mobility problems and all.

By the sounds of it, we played Howson in the No.10 role. I'd rather we revert back to getting Wing and McNair back to what they were doing against Luton and Brentford (1st Half) and try Howson in the sitting role.

In my opinion that will be more effective than the midfield mess we played against Blackburn. If that doesn't work (maybe after a few games) I'm happy to accept going forward that Clayton is the best suited for the holding role.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

By the sounds of it, we played Howson in the No.10 role. I'd rather we revert back to getting Wing and McNair back to what they were doing against Luton and Brentford (1st Half) and try Howson in the sitting role.

In my opinion that will be more effective than the midfield mess we played against Blackburn. If that doesn't work (maybe after a few games) I'm happy to accept going forward that Clayton is the best suited for the holding role.

I agree, I think basically we've said the same thing haha.

Wing was playing the deep role on Saturday with Howson ahead / number 10, yeah. Definitely didn't work, definitely don't need to see that again. Don't want to try McNair there either because he's been REALLY good going forward and is too important now, he's basically half of what little creativity we have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I agree, I think basically we've said the same thing haha.

Wing was playing the deep role on Saturday with Howson ahead / number 10, yeah. Definitely didn't work, definitely don't need to see that again. Don't want to try McNair there either because he's been REALLY good going forward and is too important now, he's basically half of what little creativity we have.

Think you are right there Brunners! Just rehashed what each of us has said! ?

Think Wing and McNair have been very good when we have used our pressing system. McNair so far definitely the standout. Which for some reason we didn't do 2nd half against Brentford and at Blackburn. 

Do think there is a slight hangover from the Pulis reign. But that has been discussed in the Pulis thread. As our go to seems to be us becoming static and just lumping it forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Think you are right there Brunners! Just rehashed what each of us has said! ?

Think Wing and McNair have been very good when we have used our pressing system. McNair so far definitely the standout. Which for some reason we didn't do 2nd half against Brentford and at Blackburn. 

Do think there is a slight hangover from the Pulis reign. But that has been discussed in the Pulis thread. As our go to seems to be us becoming static and just lumping it forward.

Yep, as someone else mentioned in that thread, there's never any movement for the little triangular passes - when there is, we can do it and we can look really good doing it. It's like at the minute they just sometimes forget to make the runs and the space and go back to waiting for the long ball - which, eventually, the ball carrier has to do cause he can't hold onto it forever.

I'm not as down on this season as some others are in here, I still think we'll be comfortably mid table, and once we get that first win I think things will start clicking. Hell at the minute just one goal would probably boost confidence a lot right now!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apart from scoring the goal last Tuesday, Bola did nothing to convince me he should be starting tomorrow night, he looked out of his depth when defending, i would be starting with Coulson if he is fit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, camsells9 said:

Apart from scoring the goal last Tuesday, Bola did nothing to convince me he should be starting tomorrow night, he looked out of his depth when defending, i would be starting with Coulson if he is fit. 

He's not fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

      My team for wigan       

          Randolph  

dijksteel fry ayala Bola

McNair Clayton Wing

Johnson Fletcher Browne

subs to be used britt tav howson

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Duvel said:

Not in the ground it hasn't 

The fans haven't turned on Gibson in the stadium, true. But against Brentford, I didn't hear the old "Stevie Gibson is king" chant ring out once. That could suggest fans are becoming more ambivalent about him, which is a significant shift in itself.

 

Plus, he's got a 13-page thread on here giving him pelters. And isn't OB supposed to be the most cerebral, measured Boro forum?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Latest Posts

    • Jinx away my friend 🙏
    • How much time have you actually spent watching England, over the last couple of decades? Did you follow them in 2010 in South Africa, or 2016 in Brazil? Or pretty much any tournament going back to 1996?   Until last year, England have been "flat track bullies" to use a cricketing metaphor, or "dirty seal clubbers" to use a videogaming one. i.e. we're great at stomping weak opponents, but look pretty clueless as soon as we come up against decent opposition. Russia was the first time we'd made the semis of any tournament for 22 years. Not really that impressive a record. Yes, we have some great attacking players...and given good service they will score a boatload of goals. However, our defence is suspect against even "weaker" teams and we've kept clean sheets more by luck, or opponents' inability to finish, than good defending. Better teams are also more likely to dominate the midfield and make it hard for us to create scoring chances. We look particularly susceptible at set pieces and to counter-attacks. Thats not just me saying it - thats what the pundits think too.   Also, with the greatest of respect, Ireland aren't usually expected to do well in tournaments anyway. IIRC the last time they really did well was USA 1994. Whereas England have had at least a couple of so-called "golden generations" of supposedly world-class players, who were great for their clubs, but failed to deliver for their country. That kind of repeated hype and failure can make one a tad cynical. So call me a miserable git, but I don't think England have done anything to justify some of the hype and praise on here. Last year was a good platform to build on, but thats all. Yes the current team has lots of potential, but also some glaring weaknesses that WILL be ruthlessly exploited by better teams.   Prime example was last night's game. Good result (more impressive than Montenegro) and another clean sheet, but still some worrying signs at the back and careless midfield play.  
    • The Republic of Ireland may face Northern Ireland in the play-offs if they fail to beat Denmark, so that's fun.
    • You know you bad when you can’t even beat a no show, 
    • D Bournemouth  v  Wolves H Blackburn  v  Barnsley. H Brentford  v  Reading. D Bristol Cty  v  N/Forest. (Weimann) A Derby  v  P.N.E. H Huddersfield  v  Birmingham. A Luton  v  Leeds. H Stoke  v  Wigan. H Swansea  v  Millwall. H W.B.A  v  Sheff Wed
×
×
  • Create New...