oneBoro Forum

Boro V Wigan 1-0 (Assombalonga)

14 minutes ago, SouthBoroFan said:

First post on here for me!

For me, Shotton has been our worst performer this year so far. Doesn't look comfortable as a ball playing centre back, and throws himself into challenges he has no chance of winning and allowing strikers to skip past him. The quicker Fry comes back in the better, he'll add stability and confidence to our entire back line. 

The Wigan game specifically was poor, we all know that but it's a huge lift for the side. Win the game with a clean sheet whilst playing badly means you have a platform to build on and knowing you can grind out results in this league is important, especially when no side in this league will perform well for 46 games of  a season.

Seeing Woody/Keane/Leo acting the way they did on the touchline is a big boost for the club as well. Having 3 people who genuinely care about the club will only push us forward. When you see a manager reacting on the touchline, it lifts the crowd and as a result, the players as well. OK, he hasn't got off to the best of starts but we shouldn't underestimate the importance of having people like that in the dugout. We didn't have that with Karanka or Pulis. 

Good first post SBF though I know someone who will completely disagree with your view on Shotton:classic_biggrin:

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your time here.

Where abouts in the South are you?

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We got 3 points, that's far more positive than anything else we've done this season. I said before the game I'd take a scrappy win and I'm delighted we did just that in the end. May not have crossed y

That's not a happy face.. That's just Karanka yelling at Downing very angrily, while Leo is calling for the stewards to come and get Aitor! ?

First win of the season, first clean sheet of the season and more importantly first win on a match day thread I've done, the curse is lifted! 

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, SouthBoroFan said:

Seeing Woody/Keane/Leo acting the way they did on the touchline is a big boost for the club as well. Having 3 people who genuinely care about the club will only push us forward. When you see a manager reacting on the touchline, it lifts the crowd and as a result, the players as well. OK, he hasn't got off to the best of starts but we shouldn't underestimate the importance of having people like that in the dugout. We didn't have that with Karanka or Pulis. 

I think we did with Karanka, 

JS34775116.jpg

But I agree, it's more visceral with Woodgate and I can't wait for a game where we win in the last minute under him.

26 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Good first post SBF though I know someone who will completely disagree with your view on Shotton:classic_biggrin:

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your time here.

Where abouts in the South are you?

Just to clarify, I do like Shotton as a player and was a stand out player under Pulis at right back. I'm just not sure this style of play really suits him, especially as a left sided centre back.

I'm just outside of Bristol

26 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

JS34775116.jpg

But I agree, it's more visceral with Woodgate and I can't wait for a game where we win in the last minute under him.

Karanka had his moments, don't get me wrong. But how many times did we seem him just sat in the dug out sulking? And let's not bring up the Charlton incident .... 

Karanka was particularly emotional at those times, it wasn't a common theme to see him respond publicly as such. It became more common after that for better or worse and I remember looking back at the videos of the Brighton game where he didn't even seem to want to take any credit for the promotion and Grant had to effectively drag him on to the pitch and force him to lift the trophy with him.

31 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

JS34775116.jpg

That's not a happy face.. That's just Karanka yelling at Downing very angrily, while Leo is calling for the stewards to come and get Aitor! ?

• Haha 6
33 minutes ago, SouthBoroFan said:

Karanka had his moments, don't get me wrong. But how many times did we seem him just sat in the dug out sulking? And let's not bring up the Charlton incident .... 

Very rarely.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, SmogDane said:

That got a laugh out loud from me, well played!

• Thanks 1