oneBoro Forum

The TP clear up.

It's just an easy way for the club to pass the blame onto Pulis as they know that most fans didn't like him or his style of football. He has been gone since May, if he mentally broke some of our senior players, well just the fact that he left should have fixed them. They should be feeling free of the supposed chains that he had on them and should be running through brick walls with the relief.

It's definitely a PR stunt from the club for me.

• Like 1
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a feeling Gestede's injury problems are down to Pulis stretching him on the rack to make him even taller and create "the perfect striker".

Well, one was at Arsenal and one was at West Ham.  One was at Charlton last season and helped them get promoted.  I'd say Charlton have more issues than we do and presumably would have had promotion a

I just wonder how many times this season TP is going to be used as an excuse for whenever something goes belly up at the club?  Flood lights gone? TP didn't check the bulb Burgers undercooke

Exactly why totally discount pre season unless it’s to fit your narrative? It’s not like woodgate has took over mid season and had 2 weeks with the team, he’s had close to them 2 months probably drilling them intensely, I’ve already acknowledged this isn’t the finished article but let’s be honest what we’ve seen so far hasn’t been great.

9 minutes ago, Blanco said:

He has been gone since May, if he mentally broke some of our senior players, well just the fact that he left should have fixed them. They should be feeling free of the supposed chains that he had on them and should be running through brick walls with the relief.

Not how it works though, is it mate? You don't just get rid of the irritation and then the emotional response stops and flips the other way. Especially when you're 'broken' mentally.

I'm not even trying to say people should believe what SDS has been given, like I said, he's said himself it could be bull and a PR stunt. But I certainly don't think we should just accept it as that, mental health is a complex thing and I can certainly see a way that someone could end up losing confidence in their abilities as a result of the past year or so. It certainly wouldn't come back overnight and the effect that could have on group morale is also a very possible thing too.

• Thanks 2
1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

I thought it was about one month if you're talking creating habits?  I assume that pre-season counts though, which means we've had at least 6 weeks working on this.  I still think it comes back to the transfer window and it makes little sense that a team with clear areas of weakness will improve without improving those areas of weakness.  I don't see how signings players that don't play, playing people out of position and playing inferior players to those we had, can do that?

It was more of an arbitrary example really to show that it is something that will take time to adjust and change, with some of those players they will have been doing the same routines and building muscle and neurological memories for 2 plus years so to change to something different will take hundreds of hours of training and play.

There is the 21/90 rule (so 21 continuous days of changing a habit) but that's more for day to day habits like diet or quitting smoking, equally its hard to mimic genuine competitive football in training and pre-season so that's another anomaly which makes it harder to narrow down in sport. In terms of muscle memory or neuroplasticity for top level athletes, it will be easier for our younger players to adapt too but it really depends on how ingrained a certain routine or ethos is on a team, which for some of our players has been years.

I do agree our recruitment was not good enough though and if we had players who were already prepared for the desired style of play or have the natural characteristics, it would be much easier but the chairman whether forced by FFP or not decided against it.

Anyone who has watched the games will surely have noticed the lack of options for the defenders and holding midfielder from the midfield and forwards. We don’t run to make space and as a result resort to long, high balls to the forwards and look for knockdowns. This is because of the massive gap between the holding midfielder (Clayton) and the two attacking midfielders (Wing and McNair). We need to work on playing up the pitch as a team instead of having nobody to pass to and lumping it up and hoping something will drop. 

30 minutes ago, DevKWat said:

Anyone who has watched the games will surely have noticed the lack of options for the defenders and holding midfielder from the midfield and forwards. We don’t run to make space and as a result resort to long, high balls to the forwards and look for knockdowns. This is because of the massive gap between the holding midfielder (Clayton) and the two attacking midfielders (Wing and McNair). We need to work on playing up the pitch as a team instead of having nobody to pass to and lumping it up and hoping something will drop. 

I'm pretty sure this has been the case with every Boro side I've watched since 1995 tbh!

41 minutes ago, DevKWat said:

This is why it is important to have every part of the team able to play a pressing style to be effective. Yes you need certain attributes, intelligence, pace and athleticism  but if the players can't work as part of a whole unit then it doesn't work. It is early days though and I can't emphasise enough that Woodgate has to decide what this squad is able to do and stick to it as it will be a few windows before he can add what is really needed. 

• Like 1

I believe there is a lack of confidence but there's a fundamental lack of quality and creativity within the squad and as soon as it became obvious it wasn't going to be addressed in the transfer window I immediately lost all the positive enthusiasm that had been building for the past month. 

Obviously it doesn't help players that the team's getting booed and is losing games but you don't suddenly lose the ability to play the football, there's a severe lack of creativity in the squad. I honestly thought I was going crazy with the amount of Boro fans thinking Marvin Johnson was going to be the answer after 28 years of barely being good enough to start in the same league he's going to suddenly tear apart after half a decent game vs Luton. We haven't seen enough of Browne to judge and may have overrated him because he actually tried to take on a defender vs St Etienne - something we've barely seen since 2016. Quite literally we've had less than a handful of players at the club in 3 years who are prepared to run at a defender and we sold our best one and didn't replace him, then we wonder why we can't create or score.

Our squad offensively is embarrassing to be honest and we're at the stage that I'm jealous of clubs like Reading and who they can field up front. Our club were in the premier league 2 seasons ago and now I'm jealous of the attacking talent at a club who finished 20th in the championship last season. Joke. 

Our strikers are good but Britt is a poacher, who by definition relies on others to create, and Fletcher is having to be used as our left forward because our options are so sparse. We're probably better off playing a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond with Browne just behind Fletcher and Britt to get the most out the 3 of them because just like under Monk we'll have to abandon the manager's preferred 4-3-3 because for whatever reasons we can't find a half decent wide player. 

We're 3 games in and reaching our pathetically little, life suckingly low, 49 league goals scored last season looks like an uphill task already and tbh I don't see how it changes.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

I believe there is a lack of confidence but there's a fundamental lack of quality and creativity within the squad and as soon as it became obvious it wasn't going to be addressed in the transfer window I immediately lost all the positive enthusiasm that had been building for the past month. 

Obviously it doesn't help players that the team's getting booed and is losing games but you don't suddenly lose the ability to play the football, there's a severe lack of creativity in the squad. I honestly thought I was going crazy with the amount of Boro fans thinking Marvin Johnson was going to be the answer after 28 years of barely being good enough to start in the same league he's going to suddenly tear apart after half a decent game vs Luton. We haven't seen enough of Browne to judge and may have overrated him because he actually tried to take on a defender vs St Etienne - something we've barely seen since 2016. Quite literally we've had less than a handful of players at the club in 3 years who are prepared to run at a defender and we sold our best one and didn't replace him, then we wonder why we can't create or score.

Our squad offensively is embarrassing to be honest and we're at the stage that I'm jealous of clubs like Reading and who they can field up front. Our club were in the premier league 2 seasons ago and now I'm jealous of the attacking talent at a club who finished 20th in the championship last season. Joke. 

Our strikers are good but Britt is a poacher, who by definition relies on others to create, and Fletcher is having to be used as our left forward because our options are so sparse. We're probably better off playing a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond with Browne just behind Fletcher and Britt to get the most out the 3 of them because just like under Monk we'll have to abandon the manager's preferred 4-3-3 because for whatever reasons we can't find a half decent wide player. 

We're 3 games in and reaching our pathetically little, life suckingly low, 49 league goals scored last season looks like an uphill task already and tbh I don't see how it changes.

I've been thinking the same thing. Fletcher and Britt up top, Browne just behind him, three of those can drift out wide if they need to, then McNair and Wing in CM with Clayton (or Howson) sat deep behind them. To me it's clear that's our best formation atm.

I just wonder how many times this season TP is going to be used as an excuse for whenever something goes belly up at the club? 

Flood lights gone? TP didn't check the bulb

Burgers undercooked? TP didn't rollick the chef's enough. 

I didn't like the way he had us playing last season, and wanted him gone about Christmas time to give us a chance to let a new manager bed his style in, but the way TPs getting blamed when he's not even around to answer, is just madness imo. I get he might have damaged the confidence of some players, but surely now he's gone that should be a boost in itself to them? If they're still blaming him now to me it stinks of "quick blame the guy the fans wanted out".

Of course happy to be proven wrong, but as many say, stinks of PR crap.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Brunners said:

I've been thinking the same thing. Fletcher and Britt up top, Browne just behind him, three of those can drift out wide if they need to, then McNair and Wing in CM with Clayton (or Howson) sat deep behind them. To me it's clear that's our best formation atm.

Also both Britt and fletcher had their best form last season in a front 2.

we could also go back to a back 3, midfield of Browne, Wing and Howson and use Dijksteel and Bola as Wing backs, see if we can get more out of them that way.

• Like 2
Just now, LinoJo3 said:

Also both Britt and fletcher had their best form last season in a front 2.

we could also go back to a back 3, midfield of Browne, Wing and Howson and use Dijksteel and Bola as Wing backs, see if we can get more out of them that way.

My worry with a back 3 is that might leave us even more defensively suspect than we already are, which would be a worry, but it is a possibility.

1 hour ago, BillinghamBoro said:

I just wonder how many times this season TP is going to be used as an excuse for whenever something goes belly up at the club? 

Flood lights gone? TP didn't check the bulb

Burgers undercooked? TP didn't rollick the chef's enough. 

I didn't like the way he had us playing last season, and wanted him gone about Christmas time to give us a chance to let a new manager bed his style in, but the way TPs getting blamed when he's not even around to answer, is just madness imo. I get he might have damaged the confidence of some players, but surely now he's gone that should be a boost in itself to them? If they're still blaming him now to me it stinks of "quick blame the guy the fans wanted out".

Of course happy to be proven wrong, but as many say, stinks of PR crap.

If this is a PR stunt from the club then I hope they’re reading this and get a rude awakening that we aren’t as stupid as they clearly think we are.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Brunners said:

My worry with a back 3 is that might leave us even more defensively suspect than we already are, which would be a worry, but it is a possibility.

It could go either way I guess, shotton I think would be less vulnerable/isolated and fry excelled in a back 3 last season, a lot would depend on how the midfield dealt with it.

• Like 1