oneBoro Forum

Unauthorised attempt of user name

Many of you are aware of certain issues relating to a recently banned forum member.

I mentioned that at some point he would run out of options trying to re-join the forum under a new guise.

Sadly this seems to be the case as it has been brought to our attention that an unsuccessful attempt to log in using a current members account was made from Dubai, which is incidentally the current whereabouts of our problem person.

It maybe  a one off but please do advise us if you have had the same situation on your account. I do not think that there will be a successful log-in but you might consider changing your password just in case.

I will ask Rob to look into this and provide an update, offer advise as he sees for your information.

Thanks for your time and co-operation in this very annoying situation  

• Like 1

In terms of security, could members make sure they don’t have the same password on here as other sites (this applies for all sites you visit really), make sure your email address in your user settings is correct and make sure your password is secure (mix of characters, numbers and symbols).

If the forum recognises a failed login attempt from an untrusted device, it will email you and block any further attempts.

In your user control panel you can see recent devices that are logged in to your account, if anyone thinks anything suspicious is going on, you can review any logged in devices and force a log out from there - https://www.oneboro.co.uk/forum/settings/devices/

Is there no 2FA add-on you can install to the forum? Never really looked into stuff like that but would assume a lot of forum softwares would have those available, worth a thought. 

Password managers are excellent if people will struggle to remember passwords, they are very secure and available for most phones with browser plugins for desktops and laptops.

49 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Maybe he has given up on counting grains of sand!

He's so smart he probably has them all counted by now DS ?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, AsheAshe said:

Is there no 2FA add-on you can install to the forum? Never really looked into stuff like that but would assume a lot of forum softwares would have those available, worth a thought. 

Password managers are excellent if people will struggle to remember passwords, they are very secure and available for most phones with browser plugins for desktops and laptops.

???

2 hours ago, Downsouth said:

Many of you are aware of certain issues relating to a recently banned forum member.

I mentioned that at some point he would run out of options trying to re-join the forum under a new guise.

Sadly this seems to be the case as it has been brought to our attention that an unsuccessful attempt to log in using a current members account was made from Dubai, which is incidentally the current whereabouts of our problem person.

It maybe  a one off but please do advise us if you have had the same situation on your account. I do not think that there will be a successful log-in but you might consider changing your password just in case.

I will ask Rob to look into this and provide an update, offer advise as he sees for your information.

Thanks for your time and co-operation in this very annoying situation  

Which username did he try and use?

I just use my username as my password because most people think that nobody would be so stupid as to do that, and people know how stupid I am not, so nobody would suspect that I would use it.  In fact, it's probably the one password that nobody would even try and thus it's the safest password in the world ?

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Which username did he try and use?

I just use my username as my password because most people think that nobody would be so stupid as to do that, and people know how stupid I am not, so nobody would suspect that I would use it.  In fact, it's probably the one password that nobody would even try and thus it's the safest password in the world ?

Mine.