oneBoro Forum

Boro V Millwall 1-1 (McNair)

Middlesbrough vs Millwall (H)

Snapchat-1149102189.thumb.jpg.9d80e28abbd913da1679266d503079b7.jpg

*Crash* *Bang* *Whallop* Woody has burst through his first hurdle with a thoroughly convincing *cough* win against Wigan Athletic! Now can he crash through the Mill-Wall and get a real head of steam going for the season?

Match Information:

3pm at the riverside, Middlesbrough take on Millwall… in the battle of the cartoon lions who will take the spoils?

After a run of mediocre and downright bad results Boro recorded their first win of the season and will be looking to pull a run of results together, could we see the confidence return and a reappearance of the exciting play on show for the first 135 minutes of the campaign?

Millwall started the season in the opposite manner with some decent results at first but come to this fixture on the back of a 4-0 trouncing by Fulham.

This Fixture Last Time Out:

The last time we welcomed Millwall to the Riverside we stole a 1-1 draw in the most unconvincing fashion.

Injury News:

Coulson is still out for a couple of weeks at least. Friend failed to make the bench at Wigan after rumblings of an injury. This could be the first fixture of the season for Fry, there’s a lot of anticipation but he will need to be given time and patience as he’s not had a full preseason.

Millwall have Wallace unavailable due to suspension and lost Jiri Skalak to injury against Fulham.

View From The Opposition:

Nothing up on the Boro game as of yet. But if you visit: https://millwall-forum.vitalfootball.co.uk/forums/north-stand-banter.6/ you can find some angry people slagging their team and manager off, just like any forum I suppose… 

Questions:

Was dropping Dijksteel harsh?

What’s the most impressive wall you’ve ever seen?

Will Millwall’s direct style make us come unstuck?

Would you make any changes?

Score predictions?

• Like 7
  • Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Middlesbrough vs Millwall (H) *Crash* *Bang* *Whallop* Woody has burst through his first hurdle with a thoroughly convincing *cough* win against Wigan Athletic! Now can he crash through the

Bloody hell, I know Howson has an engine on him, but to cover both Right-back and centre mid!

Here is another angle of the first penalty appeal.

Posted Images

Was dropping Dijksteel harsh?

In my opinion no.

What’s the most impressive wall you’ve ever seen?

The Wailing wall in Jerusalem. Never seen so much paper stuffed in to a wall before.

As long as we don't let the ball drop and win the 2nd ball we should be fine.

Same line-up as Wigan, but Johnson for Browne. Even if Fry is fit, I think Millwall's style will play into Ayala and Shotton's hands. (Felt weird typing that last bit).

Score predictions?

2-0

• Like 1

Was dropping Dijksteel harsh?

In my eyes, yes, with the disclaimer that I didn't watch us against Blackburn or see his overall performance. When he's taken up the majority of the summer transfer budget, and a presumption that he's meant to be our long term right back, it seems very harsh to drop him for giving away a soft penalty and lacking a bit of confidence.

Will Millwall’s direct style make us come unstuck?

As much as any other team might, but I think they lack real quality in their squad and would hope that it could be dealt with.

Unless Fry is fully fit, no. I'd give Browne another chance and hope that the ref isn't as poor as Tuesday's.

Score predictions?

I don't like making predictions, but it's a game we should be winning and need to be winning, whichever direction of the table we're glancing towards.

• Like 1

Great OP! 

I think so yeah, he is still getting up to speed and I thought he has had some decent game time, minus obv the penalty challenge. 

Belfast peace line wall was impressive more importantly the art-work. 

I don't think so, I think similar to us they lack a bit of quality and they are without the suspended Wallace. 

Yes. I'd still be tempted to bring Dijksteel back in and if Fry is fit enough he starts for me. I also would still like to see Friend start alongside Ayala or Fry as a L sided CB. Think him and the LB could alternate going forward, bringing the ball out and covering. Think Bola is likely to start though with us being without Coulson and I imagine Friend will be benched for cover. Johnson or Browne for me as they have both had good and poor spells. 

Score predictions?

2-0 Boro and start building the confidence

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, FamilyBoro said:

Yes. I'd still be tempted to bring Dijksteel back in

Even though I said I think it was harsh to drop him, I wouldn't bring him back in immediately.

Howson was one of the best performers against Wigan, and his cross decided the game.

Millwall were ripped apart last night by a very good Fulham performance, boy what a attacking threat and players they have at this time.

Millwall will want to forget that result asap and will probably be relieved that they are facing Boro where by they usually do cause us issues.

We can not play in the same manner as we did against Wigan and I feel Millwall will give us a much harder game in terms of having a go at us.

But after getting a wholloping  it is vital that we can get an early goal against them and I feel we can do just that.

Our win on Tuesday must not be followed by a defeat undoes a lot of issues.

Ugly game on the cards for me and not many goals easily be 1-0 to either side  

• Like 1

Not for me. And the decision seemingly was the right one given Howson was one of our better performers.

spacer.png

Either that or it could just hold us back in our attempts to go forward. I wonder if Woody will insist on full-backs bombing forward.

Johnson for Browne. Fry for Shotton or Fry for a midfielder and maybe we'd be best having Shotton at right-back in this game and pushing Howson into midfield. If I was to drop a midfielder from the last game, it'd probably be Wing, he looked tired.

Score predictions?

2-2, I think this will be a tough one. I don't think Millwall are a great side but they might tactically uncover some raw parts of our game.

• Like 2

Questions:

Score predictions

I think it was harsh but as said above I dont think you can drop Howson.

No wall is springing to mind I’m afraid 

They have lost Wallace and Skrital, both wingers to suspension and injury so I would imagine a very direct long ball which I think Shotton and Ayala will deal with.

I would probably go with same team that started Tuesday

Score ? 2-0

• Like 1

I think he needs a run of comming off the bench, then start later. Deffo a player in there, but he needs to settle mentally and in the north east first.

image.png.00145b5d1f17c78f2d20559bd1f605bf.png

Just a hunch, we will thrash right through them!

3-5-2 with a 10 and wingbacks

Score predictions?
3-1

• Like 1

No, but I'd be tempted to bring him back in and move Howson to the Midfield in place of Clayton. Millwall will be become unstuck with quick possession based football and Howson will provide us with that, more-so than Clayton. Dependant on Fry, I'd even be tempted to move Shotton to right back with Fry and Ayala a centre back for additional height.

Potentially. We've struggled with defending set pieces and there's been nothing to suggest we'll be solid in the air. 

Score predictions?

2-1 Boro

• Like 1

Agree that maybe we should approach if possible with quick possession football as Fulham exposed Millwall so easily with that approach.

Clayton tends to be too cautious and often slows down the potential for fast paced attacking football but if not then I will be singing my usual Ra,ra,ra Gooooooooooooooo Adam!

• Haha 1

Great MDT.

After his mistake against Blackburn no, but he needs a run in the team.

I don't know about impressive, but certainly the biggest was one covered in graffiti in Rotterdam.

No, if anything they'll sit back and force us to break them down. Like us, they're not a team exactly brimming with confidence at the minute.

I'd bring Friend back in the centre with Ayala if he's fit enough. Bola keeps his place and Shotton goes on the bench.

Score predictions?

It won't be a classic, think we'll nick it 1-0 or 2-1.

• Like 1

Like others have said I think Wing needs a rest, he looked absolutely cooked on Tuesday night. 

If he does rest Wing I'd imagine Saville will play in his place and Howson to continue at RB. If not, Howson into midfield and Dijksteel in at RB. I don't think Fry will feature personally so Shotton keeps his spot for now. 

• Like 1

Why are people wanting us to play 3/5 at the back now? I thought we were happy to be patient and give the team time to get some form, not just change everything after 4 games. We don’t even have the personnel to play that formation.

First of all we don’t have a no.10. We also don’t have one ball playing CB, never mind 3. When playing that formation, your CB’s need to be comfortable with the ball and to often carry it into midfield. McNair could do that, but are we really going to move and change imo our best player this season, after finally seeing the player he is in his proper position. 

We might have played ok when he changed it to 5 on Tuesday, but don’t forget we were playing against a 10 man Wigan side.

• Like 2