oneBoro Forum

Boro V Millwall 1-1 (McNair)

2 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Why are people wanting us to play 3/5 at the back now? I thought we were happy to be patient and give the team time to get some form, not just change everything after 4 games. We don’t even have the personnel to play that formation.

First of all we don’t have a no.10. We also don’t have one ball playing CB, never mind 3. When playing that formation, your CB’s need to be comfortable with the ball and to often carry it into midfield. McNair could do that, but are we really going to move and change imo our best player this season, after finally seeing the player he is in his proper position. 

We might have played ok when he changed it to 5 on Tuesday, but don’t forget we were playing against a 10 man Wigan side.

I think people are just wondering might we play better with a different formation as it hasn't really clicked as yet. 

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Middlesbrough vs Millwall (H) *Crash* *Bang* *Whallop* Woody has burst through his first hurdle with a thoroughly convincing *cough* win against Wigan Athletic! Now can he crash through the

Bloody hell, I know Howson has an engine on him, but to cover both Right-back and centre mid!

Here is another angle of the first penalty appeal.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

I think people are just wondering might we play better with a different formation as it hasn't really clicked as yet. 

I agree, but that’s my point. Isn’t 4 games surely to early to drop a formation as it hasn’t clicked? I’d give at least 10 games before changing.

Monk was criticised for chopping and changing formations and team selections as soon as we lost a game.

• Like 2
Just now, BoroSmoggie said:

I agree, but that’s my point. Isn’t 4 games surely to early to drop a formation as it hasn’t clicked? I’d give at least 10 games before changing.

Fans aren't known to be very patient to be fair, just look at the "fans" calling for Woody's head on social media.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Monk was criticised for chopping and changing formations and team selections as soon as we lost a game.

I agree. 433 but tinkering with the personnel is better than changing formation, just to see if we have the players that can be effective. I don't mind a change of formation during the match to respond to the opposition. 

• Like 2

I think we'll see a physical defensive line up to counter MiwwWall 

Randolph

Howson Ayala Shotton Friend

Clayton Howson McNair

Browne Britt Fletch

I'd rather play Friend CB with Dijksteele and Bola as wingbacks but I have a feeling Woodgate will play it safe. 

I honestly think we have the ability to play a 3 5 2 

Randolph

Ayala Shotton Friend 

Dijksteele Clayton McNair Howson Bola

Fletcher Britt

Looking at good old Google, the most possession Millwall have had in a game this season has been 37%. They had 15% v Fulham, 23% v Sheff Wed. If they are going to give us the ball like that  I am not sure we will need to press too much so it may come down to what creativity we can muster in the final third. 

3-5-2 was my preferred formation to start the season as I think it fits us the best, but I think at this stage we've got to give the team a bit of time to settle into the 4-3-3.

If we were to switch Dijksteel has also played CB before and wonder whether him and Friend could flank Ayala as ball playing CBs in a 3 at the back system until Fry returns. Coulson and Bola certainly seem like attacking wingbacks and I think the role suits Howson more than a fullback role. Which also means Fletcher can play in his best role as a striker.

--------Dijksteel  Ayala  Friend-----

Howson----McNair----Wing------Bola

---------------------Browne-----------------

-----Assombalonga-----Fletcher---

2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

An option that I'm not sure has been considered is dijksteel was originally a CDM 

so we could keep howson at RB and try Dijksteel in Clayton's spot? What do people think?

jason bateman dodgeball GIF

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

An option that I'm not sure has been considered is dijksteel was originally a CDM 

so we could keep howson at RB and try Dijksteel in Clayton's spot? What do people think?

There was a clip on youtube where Dijksteel was marauding through the midfield looking very comfortable and although just a small clip looked quite classy. I would not be averse to that being tried.

2 hours ago, Adam P said:

Like others have said I think Wing needs a rest, he looked absolutely cooked on Tuesday night. 

If he does rest Wing I'd imagine Saville will play in his place and Howson to continue at RB. If not, Howson into midfield and Dijksteel in at RB. I don't think Fry will feature personally so Shotton keeps his spot for now. 

chicken wings GIF by Sonny's BBQ

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I would go same 11 as V Wigan, and just hope Browne can contain his excitement, but Johnson hasn't done anything wrong and looks like he will create, in the games he's started.

The game midweek was really frantic and the team needs to learn to calm down and put their foot on the ball, as we should be able to control the tempo of home games.

If anything, I would move Howson to CM instead of Wing as he didn't look "with it" midweek, and bring Djiksteel in at RB.

Looking forward to Fry coming back, so Shotton can be competition for Djiksteel and Howson can play more in centre mid.

4 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

I wasn’t at Blackburn but if I understood the sentiment, we looked better when Howson replaced Dijksteel. Is that because Howson was not effective in midfield?

They played howson as the most advanced midfielder and I personally wasn't convinced by it. That appears to be consensus from what I can tell.