oneBoro Forum

Boro V Millwall 1-1 (McNair)

First half they were the better team, couldn’t handle Smith and picking up the 2nd ball, apart from Clayton our midfield was non existent, don’t know what was said at half time but Paddy McNair suddenly was a revelation unlike Saville who was a passenger throughput the match. Defensively looked solid with the usual scary moments, Fletcher had a decent game, Britt huffed and puffed without anything of note, Browne subbed twice at half time for another poor performance, we were a different side when Johnson came on and gave us some shape, refereeing again was shocking, the most blatant hand ball not seen and again at the death another shout for a pen. They probably deserved a draw for their first half performance but I feel it’s two points dropped due to the inadequacy of the officials

• Like 2
  • Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Middlesbrough vs Millwall (H) *Crash* *Bang* *Whallop* Woody has burst through his first hurdle with a thoroughly convincing *cough* win against Wigan Athletic! Now can he crash through the

Bloody hell, I know Howson has an engine on him, but to cover both Right-back and centre mid!

Here is another angle of the first penalty appeal.

Posted Images

Also, Bola had a decent second half though I can't remember if it was him who got caught out for the corner that lead to their goal. Fletcher chased the ball across the field, Bola came to join him with another player and then was stuck on the half way line as the ball floated over both of them for Romeo to run onto in tons of space, I think it was.

His attacking performance got better because the shape got better from what I could see. Pulling Saville a bit deeper towards the left back area to allow Bola to stretch the field out a bit worked. In general we stretched them a lot and it created the space for the goal.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

I think Bola had a good game today

I think with Bola it's a confidence issue as he's got to be nervous as it's a big step up for him so hopefully the more he plays the more he'll show his true self as he won't be as scared to play that forward pass or run at a defence as in the first half he just wanted to complete passed and not make a mistake which limited his game  

Thought Bola was badly exposed by Browne in the first half. Much better in the 2nd. I guess that bad attitude we were warned about with Browne is true.. Shocking player.

That said I don't think the set up was right from the start. They were telling Fletcher to stay wide like a traditional right winger, which blocked Howson from getting down the line. Moving Fletch to the left gave Bola better cover and allowed him to bomb on as Fletch came narrow. Same on the opp side with Marv n Howson.

Not sure where we'd be without Ayala, he's been outstanding for me.

• Like 1
Just now, BoroJake said:

Not sure you can say Browne has a bad attitude after a few games

Yeah that seems a dreadful way of putting it, what does his supposed 'bad attitude' have to do with anything? 

7 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Yeah that seems a dreadful way of putting it, what does his supposed 'bad attitude' have to do with anything? 

I don't necessarily think he has a bad attitude but he looks like an emotional player and that's going to affect his play for sure. There was a moment in the game today where he made a bad pass and while he chased back to block the cross, he stood afterwards shoulders slumped as if he'd rather be anywhere but on the pitch. I think there's a great player in there and agree with you that he's been hung out to dry by bad team performances but he needs to level himself out to reach his potential

I was calling for Saville to get a game but thought he was shocking today. A first start, against his old club, chance to stake his claim to a spot and show what he’s worth and he was completely anonymous. Sauntering round the pitch, I can’t believe he stayed on. 

I like Bola and think he had a good game. Bit scared of making a mistake (the crowd groan anytime any player does) but got into some good positions and helped make the goal. 

Thought Shotton was good - he’s the boo boy this season so lots of moaning when he made a mistake but he was very solid and saved us at the end with that tackle. He was also leading on the pitch, encouraging the players and the throw ins got everyone on their feet again. 

Browne was awful. Fletcher our best forward. Johnson the difference when he came on. Enjoyed the second half and saw some glimpses of what Woodgate is trying to do after a dreadful first half of headless chicken again. 

We so woefully short of forward players, if we gave Fletcher a run up top and played Johnson, I’ve no idea who could be given the other spot. Gibson really has dropped Woodgate right in it. 

Edited by Skinemrippers
  • Like 1
43 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I don't necessarily think he has a bad attitude but he looks like an emotional player and that's going to affect his play for sure. There was a moment in the game today where he made a bad pass and while he chased back to block the cross, he stood afterwards shoulders slumped as if he'd rather be anywhere but on the pitch. I think there's a great player in there and agree with you that he's been hung out to dry by bad team performances but he needs to level himself out to reach his potential

I think Woodgate needs to stop putting him in when he's not ready and we've got other players playing better than him on the bench. Makes him out to be a scapegoat for the bad first half performances, fans on the radio after the game weren't impressed and that's not going to help him. Put him in when the team is playing well or if someone else's performances aren't up to scratch. If he keeps this going for a few games, people are just going to think he's picking the players he wanted over players playing well which doesn't go down well with fans.

• Like 1

Browne just looks a little lost at the moment and trying to hard... that's his age and his eagerness to prove to the management he deserves his place. Bola still not 100% settled yet but is defensively more sound than coulson but less attacking. Thought we were pretty poor first half but better second.. think it's a long slog next 2 years... asked about jan recruitment... woody thinks we are 5 short. Be interesting to see how that goes. Fry will be starting before we know it. Woody determined to ease him in gently so hopefully stays injury free.

Browne just needs to keep wide. He’s clearly best when 1v1 against the full back. He’s a winger stop this inside forward stuff as it’s clearly not working for him. There’s a reason Bola in the first half could only pass backwards, it’s because there was no one in front of him. Browne’s positioning was awful all game and the same last game. I don’t know whether he’s under instructions but it clearly doesn’t work.

I do think there’s a decent player there, he has the qualities and has a nice touch but you can definitely tell he’s a bit raw. Just hope the coaches don’t over complicate his job, and tell him to hug the touch line.

Not looking good is it when fans start talking about injustices because it’s a good indicator the team is not doing well which it’s not. There is talk of transition and bedding which I don’t buy into because all teams are at some stage are doing or done the same and I’m still waiting to see the fast high pressing game mentioned. 

Still not sure how I feel about Bola, I don't think he was too bad defensively but he was terrible at throw-ins, seems timid going forwards and played it overly safe.

Put in a decent ball for the goal, mind.

Edited by TeaCider24

I couldn't get to the game yesterday due to work commitments. Watched the Quest highlights last night and spoke to mates that went. General consensus from those that were there is; happy with a point,  disappointed not to have all three, based on the first half and the change of tactics after going behind. 

This was a huge game for us coming off the back of an absolute drubbing at Fulham, where we really made them look Man City-esque. We set a record of giving the opposition 84% possession.

I get your frustration on the refereeing decisions, we have the same feeling from time to time, in fact we have a song "we always get s**t refs" repeated. On the decisions, what was your view of our penalty claim at the end? A big tackle that looked a pen from my bias eyes on the TV. 

Who was Millwall's best player?