oneBoro Forum

Boro V Millwall 1-1 (McNair)

56 minutes ago, London Wall said:

I couldn't get to the game yesterday due to work commitments. Watched the Quest highlights last night and spoke to mates that went. General consensus from those that were there is; happy with a point,  disappointed not to have all three, based on the first half and the change of tactics after going behind. 

This was a huge game for us coming off the back of an absolute drubbing at Fulham, where we really made them look Man City-esque. We set a record of giving the opposition 84% possession.

I get your frustration on the refereeing decisions, we have the same feeling from time to time, in fact we have a song "we always get s**t refs" repeated. On the decisions, what was your view of our penalty claim at the end? A big tackle that looked a pen from my bias eyes on the TV. 

Who was Millwall's best player? 

Probably Smith up front, caused us numerous problems in the air, I can't say I'm surprised we conceded a goal from a set piece. I haven't watched the highlights back but seems to have been said in here that he was involved in your goal too?

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Middlesbrough vs Millwall (H) *Crash* *Bang* *Whallop* Woody has burst through his first hurdle with a thoroughly convincing *cough* win against Wigan Athletic! Now can he crash through the

Bloody hell, I know Howson has an engine on him, but to cover both Right-back and centre mid!

Here is another angle of the first penalty appeal.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, sanddancer said:

I’m still waiting to see the fast high pressing game mentioned. 

Numerous people came on the radio last night complaining about this and I'm not convinced by it as an argument. Some people seem to forget that pressing isn't something you just continue to do throughout a game. Also bear in mind that a high press is by and large for teams who want to play out from the back. Millwall more often than not launched it up to Smith. Even still, we won the ball high up the pitch on a couple of occasions when they tried to come out. It wasn't of the intensity of say the Luton game but it was effective once or twice.

26 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Numerous people came on the radio last night complaining about this and I'm not convinced by it as an argument. Some people seem to forget that pressing isn't something you just continue to do throughout a game. Also bear in mind that a high press is by and large for teams who want to play out from the back. Millwall more often than not launched it up to Smith. Even still, we won the ball high up the pitch on a couple of occasions when they tried to come out. It wasn't of the intensity of say the Luton game but it was effective once or twice.

Thats right. Even if it was the right thing to do every match the temperature yesterday would have had us blowing out of our ar** after 30 mins.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, London Wall said:

your view of our penalty claim at the end? A big tackle that looked a pen from my bias eyes on the TV. 

It was a perfect tackle. Almost textbook how youd teach it. With these referees I puckered a little because you never know what they're gonna do, but he connects with the ball first and Bradshaw went over the top of him. 

The handballs though, now they were clear as day.

16 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

Thats right. Even if it was the right thing to do every match the temperature yesterday would have had us blowing out of our ar** after 30 mins.

I played football and know when and who long fast paced high line game can be utilized and that’s the point I’m making it’s not visible in any shape or form but it neither has to be other than to fulfill a statement that should never have been mouthed in the first place. I’m more concerned with the quality played to date and how this can be vastly improved over the next 3 to 5 games to give a reasonable points return. Since signing Southgate SG has eroded his invincibility and he can no longer fool all the fans all of the time as customers want a return on investment. Now if that’s either entertaining or points is irreverent 

It absolutely has been visible to me. We've won the ball high up the pitch through pressing. What more evidence do you need that we're doing it? Woody never said it would be for 90 minutes, his words were high pressing but also 'knowing when to press'. Pressing your team forward when your opposition is launching the ball over the top of your press is surely just plain daft.

I still can't see much difference from last season so far. We just look disjointed still. I'm waiting to see this attacking exciting style Woodgates implementing, because so far it's not been a great watch. 

The new signings aren't looking particularly great either, Browne looks like a red card waiting to happen and had no impact on the game, Bola seems ok, but looks like he has no confidence, and Dijksteel was put on ice by Crewe. 

Again, I'm just hoping for these improvements to be made, but nothing has excited me yet.

54 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

It absolutely has been visible to me. We've won the ball high up the pitch through pressing. What more evidence do you need that we're doing it? Woody never said it would be for 90 minutes, his words were high pressing but also 'knowing when to press'. Pressing your team forward when your opposition is launching the ball over the top of your press is surely just plain daft.

I’m missing something so its either I never did understand what a high tempo pressing game meant or just using the wrong optical lenses. Mind I did think Leeds were deploying this tactic so shows how wrong one can be.   I’ll bow to your experience and take heart in your statement that we will see a great return on points in the next 3 to 5 games.  

8 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

I’m missing something so its either I never did understand what a high tempo pressing game meant or just using the wrong optical lenses. Mind I did think Leeds were deploying this tactic so shows how wrong one can be.   I’ll bow to your experience and take heart in your statement that we will see a great return on points in the next 3 to 5 games.  

I've honestly no idea what you're going on about here. I'm not expecting a big return on points in the next 3 to 5 games, all I've said was we have shown evidence of trying to execute a high press but that we're not doing it non-stop because we never intended to. You've said it's not visible in any shape or form. You also said you've played football so you know what to expect so if anything, I'd like to listen to your experience and understand what you expect from Woody's team and what I'm supposedly misunderstanding about a high press.

39 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

I’m missing something so its either I never did understand what a high tempo pressing game meant or just using the wrong optical lenses. Mind I did think Leeds were deploying this tactic so shows how wrong one can be.  I’ll bow to your experience and take heart in your statement that we will see a great return on points in the next 3 to 5 games.  

Lol crawl back into your hole.

1 hour ago, BillinghamBoro said:

I still can't see much difference from last season so far. We just look disjointed still. I'm waiting to see this attacking exciting style Woodgates implementing, because so far it's not been a great watch. 

The new signings aren't looking particularly great either, Browne looks like a red card waiting to happen and had no impact on the game, Bola seems ok, but looks like he has no confidence, and Dijksteel was put on ice by Crewe. 

Again, I'm just hoping for these improvements to be made, but nothing has excited me yet.

Bar one bad game against Blackburn I've fully enjoyed at least 45 minutes of each league game we've played so far which is more than I can say for pulis regime. 

Really don't think we were good bar a 20 minute spell in the runup to our goal, they had the best chances to win the game when it went level I'm so worried at how easily *ithoused we are by 6 ft 3+ strikers they did that backpost knockdown trick 5+ times they got 1 goal if it wasnt for Randolph and the crossbar it could have been 3 from that alone.

Fletcher and McNair were standouts the fact Wing coming on as our 'attacking' substitution is another brutal reminder of how thin we are in attacking areas. I think Bola's had another good game myself, Shotton was suspect on the ball again and I'll be honest I want Howson back in our midfield Wing/Saville have both been poor in away games he should put Howson/Clayton/McNair at least we'll control the ball better, for all the talk of goals goals goals from Woodgate reality's hit hard and putting 'attacking' midfields out hasn't resulted in trucks of goals I think Wing's got away with murder his past 3 apps and Saville's been so sloppy as well.

Can't figure Browne out he's an intelligent footballer who makes the right moves off the ball but on it he seems a little pent up and overeager if Woodgate can't figure him out in the next few games I worry for where his head will be at as we creep into winter you know the workload on him/Johnson/Fletcher will be insane.

5 hours ago, sanddancer said:

Not looking good is it when fans start talking about injustices because it’s a good indicator the team is not doing well which it’s not. There is talk of transition and bedding which I don’t buy into because all teams are at some stage are doing or done the same and I’m still waiting to see the fast high pressing game mentioned. 

Two terrible points here.

I mean, we should have had two penalties. Even if we'd have sneaked a goal in the end and won, people would still be saying that we should have had two penalties, because we should have had two penalties. So of course the fact that we didn't end up winning makes those margins more important, particularly after the two goals disallowed against Brentford.

The reason people are talking about a transitional period is because it is. When Farke took over at Norwich, he lost 3 of his first 5, including a home defeat to the worst Sunderland team in 30 years. He took a team that had been coached into a pragmatic style by Neil and Irvine, and had to rip it all up and start again.

And given that Pulis makes those two look like exciting managers, it is going to take Woody a lot more than a handful of games to make these players look like his team. 

• Like 2

1st half yesterday was woeful, but 2nd half I thought we played some decent football, Fletcher is starting to look like a good player, he has god pace, Browne has been disappointed for the most part but maybe its a settling in period I hope so. Not a big fan of Shotton but he didn't do much wrong yesterday. McNair is starting to look like the midfielder we thought we'd signed rather than the make shift uncomfortable fullback Pulis thought he'd signed. Britt gets knocked off the ball far too easily in 50/50's.

The penalty decisions absolutely laughable, they must be handing out referring badges out in cornflake packets these days and the *** hole with the flag enough said. VAR in our  game yesterday, we'd have been there till midnight.

6 hours ago, sanddancer said:

I played football and know when and who long fast paced high line game can be utilized and that’s the point I’m making it’s not visible in any shape or form but it neither has to be other than to fulfill a statement that should never have been mouthed in the first place. I’m more concerned with the quality played to date and how this can be vastly improved over the next 3 to 5 games to give a reasonable points return. Since signing Southgate SG has eroded his invincibility and he can no longer fool all the fans all of the time as customers want a return on investment. Now if that’s either entertaining or points is irreverent 

We are definitely trying to play higher up the pitch, which brings an element of high press anyway. Millwall were never going to let us press them too much with their style of play. As people have said though at times it has been pleasing to the eye and with any luck we could have had 5 or 6 more points which would take the pressure off completely. 

As you will know though, any form of press is just a way of getting the ball back, and I think this is where BillinghamBoros point is quite right. The same players as last year then have to create, which we are finding difficult due to their skill set, especially when we try to play from deep. I think SDS came on yesterday and said Woodgate felt he was 5 short and I think that tells you that he is making do at present. I think there are definite green shoots though.

• Like 1