oneBoro Forum

Assombalonga the main man

It has come to my attention that Britt Assombalonga has scored 7 match winning goals in 2019 so far. This is the highest in the four divisions in England. Nicky Maynard has 5 and the likes of Sergio Aguero, Pierre Emerick Aubameyang and Paddy Bamford have 3. Do we underrate our 15m man?

• Like 2
  • Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't have a soft spot for him.  I wasn't convinced when we bought him unlike most on here and I rated Bamford as the better player as I also said repeatedly on the forum, preferring to keep him and

Yes, horribly, in my opinion!  He's not a complete footballer (which is why he's still a championship player) but I would argue we haven't had a goalscorer as good as him in a decade or so. 

Bamford is clearly the better of the 2 it’s not and never has been up for debate for me.

Posted Images

Yes, horribly, in my opinion! 

He's not a complete footballer (which is why he's still a championship player) but I would argue we haven't had a goalscorer as good as him in a decade or so. 

If he could figure out a way to a) score penalties consistently and b) not miss so many 1 on 1s, he'd hit 25+ I reckon.

Lets not forget, this is a man who scored THIRTY goals across two seasons for us, 18 months of which were helmed by Pulis- during which time he was dropped with alarming regularity and often thrown under the bus.

• Like 4

I make it 6.

Those goals are against:

this season:

- a Wigan who will be fighting relegation 

last season:

- a pen vs 20th place Reading

- 16th place Stoke

- 15th place Blackburn

- 4th placed West Brom, who were in the middle of a 4 month spell of not winning at home.

- 17th place Birmingham

The West Brom one aside, it follows his pattern of scoring against the rubbish teams, and being anonymous against the good sides. He IS the man, if you want midtable mediocrity

2 hours ago, Brunners said:

Yes, horribly, in my opinion! 

He's not a complete footballer (which is why he's still a championship player) but I would argue we haven't had a goalscorer as good as him in a decade or so. 

If he could figure out a way to a) score penalties consistently and b) not miss so many 1 on 1s, he'd hit 25+ I reckon.

Lets not forget, this is a man who scored THIRTY goals across two seasons for us, 18 months of which were helmed by Pulis- during which time he was dropped with alarming regularity and often thrown under the bus.

How quickly we forget Sir Patrick of Bamford and his 17 league goal season, probably would have broken 20 if not for a nasty ankle injury.

Scott McDonald got 21 goals in 56 starts, which isn't far off Britt, and Leroy Lita with 20 goals in 51 starts too.  Both of those players were in far worse teams (Hoyte, Bailey, Haroun, McEachren etc). Scott/Lita/Britt are all pretty similar quality strikers, 12-15 goals a season, Britt was marginally better goalscorer, they were better players and turned up occasionally against the good teams. Add Emnes into that too with 14 in one season. I think in this decade of largely champ football we have only had Bamford who I would put my money on 1-vs-1

Edited by BoroMart
  • Like 2

It has been a problem area not just for Boro but plenty of other teams as well. One thing that has bemused me is that over all the years the academy has been churning out players why has there never been a classic striker found amongst them?

Are the numbers of natural goal scorers a thing of the past?

7 hours ago, BoroMart said:

How quickly we forget Sir Patrick of Bamford and his 17 league goal season, probably would have broken 20 if not for a nasty ankle injury.

Scott McDonald got 21 goals in 56 starts, which isn't far off Britt, and Leroy Lita with 20 goals in 51 starts too.  Both of those players were in far worse teams (Hoyte, Bailey, Haroun, McEachren etc). Scott/Lita/Britt are all pretty similar quality strikers, 12-15 goals a season, Britt was marginally better goalscorer, they were better players and turned up occasionally against the good teams. Add Emnes into that too with 14 in one season. I think in this decade of largely champ football we have only had Bamford who I would put my money on 1-vs-1

I will say I did forget paddy but that's because it still hurts to much. I miss him.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, BoroMart said:

I make it 6.

Those goals are against:

this season:

- a Wigan who will be fighting relegation 

last season:

- a pen vs 20th place Reading

- 16th place Stoke

- 15th place Blackburn

- 4th placed West Brom, who were in the middle of a 4 month spell of not winning at home.

- 17th place Birmingham

The West Brom one aside, it follows his pattern of scoring against the rubbish teams, and being anonymous against the good sides. He IS the man, if you want midtable mediocrity

Anonymous against the good sides, along with the rest of the team under Pulis. He's spent the majority of his time at Boro under Pulis but now we have a manager who wants to play attacking football, this is when he should be judged. 

He will get goals if played right. I don't really get the obsession with charting league performance of who he scores against. Scoring goals get you points no matter who they are against. He isn't a lone striker, and shouldn't be played as one. He also had a lot of games last season where he was subbed early or came on as a sub, so that will have impacted his opportunities to score goals. 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, BoroMart said:

And Don't forget Lee Dong Gook's 2 goals in 18 months 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, AsheAshe said:

He will get goals if played right. I don't really get the obsession with charting league performance of who he scores against. Scoring goals get you points no matter who they are against. He isn't a lone striker, and shouldn't be played as one. He also had a lot of games last season where he was subbed early or came on as a sub, so that will have impacted his opportunities to score goals. 

Britt came with a reputation after Forest and had at least 2 players marking him most of the time....And take into account our Ground is the strikers graveyard 

It still baffles me we paid £5m more for Britt than Leeds did for Bamford given the difference in all-round quality.

I like Britt, I do, but his decision making at times is dreadful, so far this season, the only time I've seen him play well individually was after we scored against Wigan. Even then, some of his decision making was poor and whilst you have to credit how he got into the position to score after the goal, he really should have done better with the chance.

Still, it's early days for everyone, I don't think the lad has had the greatest 18 months and yet has still got the goals for us, now Pulis is gone I hope we can keep bringing his confidence back up. Now he's not working on his own at the top end of the pitch, I hope we'll get more goals from him.

• Like 1

I think hes rated, just not clinical for 15m in my opinion. 

I'd expect a 15m man to score (his chance vs Wigan) in front of the keeper. 

I think as the prices for footballers in general has increased, 15m is about 7m before the player price boom. So therefore I'd say he is a 10m striker of old, with a 15m price tag.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SouthBoroFan said:

Anonymous against the good sides, along with the rest of the team under Pulis. He's spent the majority of his time at Boro under Pulis but now we have a manager who wants to play attacking football, this is when he should be judged. 

It is easy to blame Pulis, but Britt failed to score against the top 6 teams, under Monk, and baring his first 6 months (pre-injury), he didn't score against them at Forest either.