oneBoro Forum

Assombalonga the main man

48 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Yup, exactly what I thought. Defender actually might keep it out without Britt's touch there. They all count, I'm sure he's happy with that. Might even let out a grin, God forbid.

Just leave it, thank you

• Haha 1
  • Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't have a soft spot for him.  I wasn't convinced when we bought him unlike most on here and I rated Bamford as the better player as I also said repeatedly on the forum, preferring to keep him and

Yes, horribly, in my opinion!  He's not a complete footballer (which is why he's still a championship player) but I would argue we haven't had a goalscorer as good as him in a decade or so. 

Bamford is clearly the better of the 2 it’s not and never has been up for debate for me.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

How many flops score 14 goals in a Pulis team. Talk about an overstatement, Jesus wept.

I don't care ultimately who scores the goals so long as the team is capable of scoring the goals. If he bangs then in against weaker sides and other players score against the big sides, who ultimately gives a cack? Not that we are in any place either last season or this season to be doing that but I firmly ain't placing the blame entirely on him for that.

Add to the fact I've seen genuine improvement from him this season in both his decision making and definitely his hold up play, if he can continue with that and get back on the goal trail, as I said, I don't really care who he scores against.

And let's say your wishes are granted. How do we replace him? Do you trust us to get someone better in? Or as good as? Or even mildly far off from what he is right now? I'm of little doubt at the moment he'll be gone in January personally anyway from the need to further balance out the wage bill and the lack of a promotion push but I've no confidence at all in us signing a striker even half as good with whatever money we get from him that goes into the kitty. Some of you would happily throw the baby out with the bathwater when it comes to Britt simply because he's on a bad run. He genuinely can't win.

You could get Ivan Toney for half the price and probably a 1/3rd of the wages

I know everyone goes on about Ivan Toney but if you're on about how Britt isn't a good enough Championship goalscorer by wanting us to sign someone who isn't a Championship goalscorer for only half his price on £13k wages, I'm just not sure where you actually stand. Do you want someone who scores goals in the Championship or do you want to take a pretty big risk on someone who isn't proven at this level?

I also contest the idea we'll be spending anything like the fee you think we'll have to spend if we sell Britt.

Britt is absolutely abysmal. His link up play and hold up play has to be the worst in the league. Fans go on about the goals he scores but his all round play substantially reduces the amount we score as a team. And I’d much rather us score a load as a team than having one individual scoring loads (which isn’t even happening) and the rest scoring none. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I know everyone goes on about Ivan Toney but if you're on about how Britt isn't a good enough Championship goalscorer by wanting us to sign someone who isn't a Championship goalscorer for only half his price on £13k wages, I'm just not sure where you actually stand. Do you want someone who scores goals in the Championship or do you want to take a pretty big risk on someone who isn't proven at this level?

I also contest the idea we'll be spending anything like the fee you think we'll have to spend if we sell Britt.

every signing is a risk, not signing younger lower league players is a risk (an opportunity risk), and sticking with Britt up front is a risk. I don't think your point that he scores 14 goals stands up to any scrutiny.

Britt scores 14 goals a season, but you effectively play with 10 men for 30 games a season. You have to balance that out. There are some very average players, on very mediocre wages that score 12-15 goals a season.

He just isn't good enough. He is a major part of our attacking issues.

I actually don't know what Assombalonga's strengths are tbh.. he can't win headers, isn't particularly fast, doesn't hold the ball up well, his first touch/general technique is nothing to write home about, he can't take a pen to save his life, has absolutely no composure in front of goal, doesn't really put any pressure on opposition defenders when we don't have the ball..

• Like 1
On 10/5/2019 at 6:27 AM, Denzel Zanzibar said:

He wasn't great last night but to be fair he had little to no service. What worried me the most was when Fletcher came on early 2nd half and didn't look like he was going to make any impact on the game either.

We're ***.

Fletcher looks really light-weight to me.. it might just be his running style, but he dribbles like someone who doesn't want to get his shoes dirty.

• Haha 1

I though Fletcher looked ok. Remember him trying to drive through from our half and they had to bring him down, and he also got free of the defense but hit his lefty shot at the keeper. Probably 2 of our most exciting moments all game sadly

• Like 1

I'm reading The Mixer by Michael Cox at the moment, I highly recommend it. Anyway, there is a section on Ruud Van Nistelrooy, maybe the last great premier league goal hanger. He didn't have much pace, wasn't technical, didn't link play. Even playing for a very attacking united he managed less than 3 assists a season and barely did a thing outside of 8 yards (just 1 goal outside the box in 5 years). Anyway, prior to his arrival United had won the 3 consecutive titles. With RVN a natural goal poacher, they won 1 in 5. Again when he left they immediately won 3 titles again.

That's a great example of how a natural goalscorer banging goals in  can actually be a hinderance to a team.  Now Britt might be a poor mans RVN but it's the same thing, his greed and lack of all round game hinders the side. Fergie learnt from this and only ever bought goal hangers as reserve strikers, plan Bs

• Like 2

I agree with what BoroMart has said on this thread. I think that for £15M and £30k/week, it's fair to say that Britt has been a flop.

Having said that, I guess you could argue that we were mugs for paying that much. I couldn't disagree.

If we do get rid in January I reckon we'll do well to get £10M.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...