oneBoro Forum

Assombalonga the main man

58 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

Oh there you are .. I was wondering where you had been, cause I have been missing your top notch sarcastic comments ❤️

I remember the days when you used to save that kind of comment for me 🤭

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't have a soft spot for him.  I wasn't convinced when we bought him unlike most on here and I rated Bamford as the better player as I also said repeatedly on the forum, preferring to keep him and

Yes, horribly, in my opinion!  He's not a complete footballer (which is why he's still a championship player) but I would argue we haven't had a goalscorer as good as him in a decade or so. 

Bamford is clearly the better of the 2 it’s not and never has been up for debate for me.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, SmogDane said:

To me it looked like a chance that a 15 million £ striker should have scored from. 

4 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Really? Split second decision, keeper in a good position, think quite a lot of good strikers would have struggled from there.

It was a reasonable chance but not a nailed on goal.  It's on his left foot and he's hitting it first time.  Because of the way the ball got to him, their goalkeeper was able to close the gap quite a bit between him and Assombalonga, and that made it an easier save.  I'd be more critical if he'd missed the target. 

I thought the two best chances of the day fell to Fletcher and to Saville when Tavernier set him up - that one to me should have been a goal and if he'd placed it in the other corner around the defender instead of placing it straight at the keeper then he'd have scored.  That's actually what he did when he set up Fletcher's chance afterwards.

I thought similarly regarding that Saville chance, CT. When watching it back, my first thought was is there a defender blocking his view of that corner? I don't think there was, I think it was reasonable enough for him to pick that corner, the keeper was naturally closer to the near post which meant the shot would have had to been something special to beat him on that side. It was an alright effort but Johnstone had been having a strong game in goal, he wasn't letting one in on his near post.

On 10/21/2019 at 4:03 PM, Changing Times said:

It was a reasonable chance but not a nailed on goal.  It's on his left foot and he's hitting it first time.  Because of the way the ball got to him, their goalkeeper was able to close the gap quite a bit between him and Assombalonga, and that made it an easier save.  I'd be more critical if he'd missed the target. 

I thought the two best chances of the day fell to Fletcher and to Saville when Tavernier set him up - that one to me should have been a goal and if he'd placed it in the other corner around the defender instead of placing it straight at the keeper then he'd have scored.  That's actually what he did when he set up Fletcher's chance afterwards.

it was far better than a reasonable chance...12 yards out, no pressure from any defenders, facing goal, and the keeper was 3 yards from his line and with no time to rush and close Britt down. That is bread and butter stuff for a championship striker. Britt went near post, AGAIN, and didn't even put it towards a corner.

• Like 1

The keeper was closer to his far post in the screenshot. No pressure from defenders except the ones right next to him. And again you've ignored the circumstances the ball has dropped to him. You've clearly got a bit of an agenda.

• Confused 1
1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

The keeper was closer to his far post in the screenshot. No pressure from defenders except the ones right next to him. And again you've ignored the circumstances the ball has dropped to him. You've clearly got a bit of an agenda.

I DO have an agenda, I want my team to play better and win more games.

The GK hopped to his left when the first shot came in and hit Britt (that is when that still frame shot is taken and is misleading). He then hopped back to a slightly right (GK perspective) of central position (near post) as Britt prepared to shoot.  Britt should have hit it across the GK, its basic stuff, I don't even teach my U14s that because they've had it drilled into them for 8 years. I don't understand why Britt has a tendency to shoot near post.

• Like 1

Yeah exactly, the keeper has moved to the other side because of the shot, so surely he shouldn't aim the same direction as the keeper has just moved to. But really we're boiling down into the microseconds of decision making and taking him to task for it. This isn't like he's got an age to pick his spot, he has to just take the shot because of the speed at which it's come to him. If he thinks for any longer, the keeper grabs it or the defender blocks it. He takes the shot and hits the target, the keeper makes a good save. That's all there is to it. You're nitpicking because you've got an agenda against him now. Out of all the chances Britt hasn't scored from, this is by far one of the better taken ones.

Just now, wilsoncgp said:

Yeah exactly, the keeper has moved to the other side because of the shot, so surely he shouldn't aim the same direction as the keeper has just moved to. But really we're boiling down into the microseconds of decision making and taking him to task for it. This isn't like he's got an age to pick his spot, he has to just take the shot because of the speed at which it's come to him. If he thinks for any longer, the keeper grabs it or the defender blocks it. He takes the shot and hits the target, the keeper makes a good save. That's all there is to it. You're nitpicking because you've got an agenda against him now. Out of all the chances Britt hasn't scored from, this is by far one of the better taken ones.

If a GK is out of position slightly you know as a striker he will attempt to recover position, you teach strikers to hit it back past them unless they are way out of position and won't be able to recover.  It isn't nitpicking it's detail about decision making and technique. When you don't have loads of time, which is regularly the case, it falls to technique. He regularly shoots near post, tries to power it past people in that area, rather than pick a spot in the far corner. There is a reason we teach kids that later technique, it is simply more successfull. 

He has missed easier chances, I agree, that isn't something to be lorded though. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BoroMart said:

it was far better than a reasonable chance...12 yards out, no pressure from any defenders, facing goal, and the keeper was 3 yards from his line and with no time to rush and close Britt down. That is bread and butter stuff for a championship striker. Britt went near post, AGAIN, and didn't even put it towards a corner.

No, it was a reasonable chance.  If I thought it was better than that I'd have used a different adjective to describe it.  I can take Assombalonga or leave him, I thought he was a risky signing at the time and said so once or twice on here so I'm not defending him.  However, I try not to let my own internal bias dictate my every thought on a subject.  He wasn't facing goal, he was facing sideways essentially and it was on his left foot, which is crap.  Had it been on his right foot then I'd have judged it as being a better opportunity for him.  He was under pressure from a defender, not in the sense that one was on top of him but in the sense that it made him strike it first time.  The goalkeeper was about 8 yards away from him when he makes the save, having been able to close the gap between him and Assombalonga.  Of course he should have hit it across goal, I wouldn't disagree with that at all, and his finishing is not good enough, as we've seen at various times in his Boro career and already too often this season.  Another example of poorly spent money over the last few years, which has set us back big time.

3 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

No, it was a reasonable chance.  If I thought it was better than that I'd have used a different adjective to describe it.  I can take Assombalonga or leave him, I thought he was a risky signing at the time and said so once or twice on here so I'm not defending him.  However, I try not to let my own internal bias dictate my every thought on a subject.  He wasn't facing goal, he was facing sideways essentially and it was on his left foot, which is crap.  Had it been on his right foot then I'd have judged it as being a better opportunity for him.  He was under pressure from a defender, not in the sense that one was on top of him but in the sense that it made him strike it first time.  The goalkeeper was about 8 yards away from him when he makes the save, having been able to close the gap between him and Assombalonga.  Of course he should have hit it across goal, I wouldn't disagree with that at all, and his finishing is not good enough, as we've seen at various times in his Boro career and already too often this season.  Another example of poorly spent money over the last few years, which has set us back big time.

we will have to agree to disagree, as a goal poacher who offers nothing, that is the type of chance you would expect him to gobble up. If he was a more creative all round striker, you can forgive missing a great chance like that.

• Like 1

As I said, it's just not one I'd fancy him to take on his left foot.  If you factor in his obvious lack of confidence at the moment then I was faintly surprised that he got it on target in all honesty.  I'd half expect him to slice a chance like that wide.  He gets in the side by default although in fairness to him he has at least been working pretty hard this season so I suppose that's something.

• Haha 1