oneBoro Forum

Assombalonga the main man

41 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

I think he would shine in a team like Sheff Wed with a big target man, but his strengths don't really fit with the way Woody seems to want to go...whatever transpires, good luck to the lad as he seems to be a genuinely nice fella 

Oh sure, he seems a good fella, and I wish him no ill. But he's a poor footballer, probably worse than McDonald and Lita to be honest

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't have a soft spot for him.  I wasn't convinced when we bought him unlike most on here and I rated Bamford as the better player as I also said repeatedly on the forum, preferring to keep him and

Yes, horribly, in my opinion!  He's not a complete footballer (which is why he's still a championship player) but I would argue we haven't had a goalscorer as good as him in a decade or so. 

Bamford is clearly the better of the 2 it’s not and never has been up for debate for me.

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, BoroMart said:

The point is, we are playing much better without him, it's completely fair to compare with and without him. 

But we are playing well without several key players? Are they all to be sold or discarded? 

1 minute ago, BoroMart said:

The point is, we are playing much better without him, it's completely fair to compare with and without him. 

That's also nothing to do with Britt on his own. His existence on a football pitch on its own does not hinder us. Look at the Hull game before the Johnson sending off, the Charlton game when he got injured. Both games, he played in, both games are examples of where our performances had much improved compared to the rest of the season so far. He is not a hindrance on our ability to play well. He played well in both those games as an individual too, so we are not 'a better, more organised side without Britt' as you put it. You're just using his absence and our form as a reason to continuously take him down and I don't think you're actually doing it for much reason other than you have a gripe.

Britt has had some bad games this season, he's made some bad decisions, he's made some poor runs, he's missed some good chances, he's missed penalties. Nobody who disagrees with you would disagree with those things. We just think it would be good if people who are so keen to point those things out were as keen to point out when he does things well, too. Otherwise it looks entirely like bias against someone for the sake of it. As we have improved, so did Britt, he started to reign in the selfish play, I think the Charlton game and one or two others, his hold up play was bloody exceptional, these are things people still pull up about him as negatives but never give him credit for when he does it. It's utter crap.

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, BoroMart said:

Oh sure, he seems a good fella, and I wish him no ill. But he's a poor footballer, probably worse than McDonald and Lita to be honest

Worse than Leroy Lita? Bloody hell.

• Haha 1
29 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

That's also nothing to do with Britt on his own. His existence on a football pitch on its own does not hinder us. Look at the Hull game before the Johnson sending off, the Charlton game when he got injured. Both games, he played in, both games are examples of where our performances had much improved compared to the rest of the season so far. He is not a hindrance on our ability to play well. He played well in both those games as an individual too, so we are not 'a better, more organised side without Britt' as you put it. You're just using his absence and our form as a reason to continuously take him down and I don't think you're actually doing it for much reason other than you have a gripe.

Britt has had some bad games this season, he's made some bad decisions, he's made some poor runs, he's missed some good chances, he's missed penalties. Nobody who disagrees with you would disagree with those things. We just think it would be good if people who are so keen to point those things out were as keen to point out when he does things well, too. Otherwise it looks entirely like bias against someone for the sake of it. As we have improved, so did Britt, he started to reign in the selfish play, I think the Charlton game and one or two others, his hold up play was bloody exceptional, these are things people still pull up about him as negatives but never give him credit for when he does it. It's utter crap.

sorry fella, you need to look back on the thread, when he did put in good performances I have said so, in fact I made a point of coming onto the thread and saying so.

Gripe? What earthly reason would I have for having a gripe? Maybe, just maybe, I don't rate him very much as a footballer due to 2 1/2 years of studying him closely an a couple of years of casually watching him before that?!

He has serious technical faults to his game, poor tactical knowledge, only scores against poor teams because a half decent defender is smoking a cigar marking him.

16 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Absolutely categorically not.

Lita got 12 goals and 5 assists in a worse Boro team. He had Nick Bailey, Gary O'Neill, Kevin Thompson creating for him, Barry Robson was the only creativity he had to work with. Britt had to deal with Pulis tactics, and Lita had to deal with the worst manager we have ever had, Strachan. That was far worse than what we have in this squad. They're certainly on a par, they're both a bit lazy, they both lack some foundational technical skills, they're both poor tactically, they both like to run in behind and neither scored goals outside 8 yards, I'd say Lita was a tad quicker and Britt is slightly better at scoring with headers. Both seem to overdo the gym, and gas on the field after 60 mins. Both had the call from DR Congo, Leroy turned it down and Britt said yes, but after a couple of months in the squad seems to have been dropped.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, BoroMart said:

Lita got 12 goals and 5 assists in a worse Boro team. He had Nick Bailey, Gary O'Neill, Kevin Thompson creating for him, Barry Robson was the only creativity he had to work with. Britt had to deal with Pulis tactics, and Lita had to deal with the worst manager we have ever had, Strachan. That was far worse than what we have in this squad. They're certainly on a par, they're both a bit lazy, they both lack some foundational technical skills, they're both poor tactically, they both like to run in behind and neither scored goals outside 8 yards, I'd say Lita was a tad quicker and Britt is slightly better at scoring with headers. Both seem to overdo the gym, and gas on the field after 60 mins. Both had the call from DR Congo, Leroy turned it down and Britt said yes, but after a couple of months in the squad seems to have been dropped.

And Lita did that....once?

Britt is guaranteed 14-15 goals every year. I know you hate Britt but you need to give your head a shake pal.

8 minutes ago, Brunners said:

And Lita did that....once?

Britt is guaranteed 14-15 goals every year. I know you hate Britt but you need to give your head a shake pal.

Yeah he did that once, but other than being a 3rd choice striker for a good Reading side he was largely in far worse teams than Britt. Why would I 'hate' Britt? That is ridiculous, it's an avoidance of debate on his strengths and weaknesses (of which there are many). There are at least 15 better CFs in the championship than him, I would argue he isn't even our best CF. If it's too contentious to say he is worse than Lita, then he certainly doesn't seem to be much better and he is certainly worse than McDonald, a striker who never proved himself at championship level.

He wasn't on a par with Kike, Rhodes, Nugent, Bamford, Vossen, Graham

On a par with Emnes, Lita, McDonald

Better than Main, Jutkiewitcz, Ish Miller, Kris Boyd

Not the worst, but far from what is needed at this level. I look forward to him bagging 25 goals when he plays for this fictional attacking team...of course attacking teams, are described as such because they have rubbish defences and fail to get promoted because they have passengers in the tough games

1 hour ago, Brunners said:

I actually openly laughed when I read that one.

Like, I can maybe accept McDonald, he won't go down in history as one of our greatest strikers but he had a pretty consistent record in front of goal for us despite being a limited player. You can at least understand where that idea is coming from. Leroy Lita was about as limited a player as you get. Britt is at least twice as good as Leroy Lita was.

5 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Like, I can maybe accept McDonald, he won't go down in history as one of our greatest strikers but he had a pretty consistent record in front of goal for us despite being a limited player. You can at least understand where that idea is coming from. Leroy Lita was about as limited a player as you get. Britt is at least twice as good as Leroy Lita was.

twice as good? haha, deluded mate. Britts limitations mean that he is barely twice as good as me and 50 is on the horizon. He'll be at Doncaster/Rotherham/Barnsley within 2-3 years

Just now, BoroMart said:

twice as good? haha, deluded mate. Britts limitations mean that he is barely twice as good as me and 50 is on the horizon

Can we get you a shirt number instead then?

• Like 1

Britt has played in the Championship under a misfiring Monk, defensive Tony Pulis and a Nottingham Forest that he literally saved from relegation on the final day.

Not sure which "good" teams he played for which are far better than who Leroy Lita played for.

Lita was relegated as a bit part with Norwich, Assombalonga saved Forest from relegation. Lita was a bit part player at every club except Middlesbrough after leaving Reading.