Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
Blanco

Assombalonga the main man

Recommended Posts

On 8/29/2019 at 10:19 AM, TeaCider24 said:

His goals literally kept them up on the last day in his final season there.

keep him,  he could come in handy . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Essuuaitch said:

keep him,  he could come in handy . 

One of them was a penalty too, how time's change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm gonna stick to my Britt is bobbins line. I would sell him and replace with Toney from Peterborough in a heartbeat.

At least he has managed a goal against a half decent Bristol City side, so broken the spell of blanks against top 8 teams.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BoroMart said:

At least he has managed a goal against a half decent Bristol City side, so broken the spell of blanks against top 8 teams.

 

Not that 2 teams out of 7 is overly impressive, but he scored against Bristol and West Brom last season.

He also scored two penalties in a row in the final games, his Luton miss had wiped them from my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Not that 2 teams out of 7 is overly impressive, but he scored against Bristol and West Brom last season.

He also scored two penalties in a row in the final games, his Luton miss had wiped them from my mind.

remember we played those teams twice, so 12 blanks in 14 games

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He scored 14 in a full season of Pulis, I couldn't give much of a cack any more who he scored against. He had about 30 games worth of minutes on the pitch in a team that mostly had 1 striker chasing the ball over their head for full games and he still managed 14 goals.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 10/2/2019 at 10:15 AM, wilsoncgp said:

He scored 14 in a full season of Pulis, I couldn't give much of a cack any more who he scored against. He had about 30 games worth of minutes on the pitch in a team that mostly had 1 striker chasing the ball over their head for full games and he still managed 14 goals.

You should care mate. If he only scores against the poor sides, and doesn't do anything of note against the top 8, then we are basically accepting mediocrity.

He WILL always score enough goals to be perceived as a top scorer. The reality though is he has only ever finished in the top 10 championship scorers once, he was 7th. That's regardless of team, style, manager. How can you be a top striker yet only vaguely trouble the leagues top scorers once in 5 seasons?

He is a flop for 15mill and 30k/week because you spend that money to influence the big games, not to score a brace against Burton, a tap in vs Millwall and a penna vs Barnsley. By keeping him, we are pouring good money after bad. Cut our loses and sell him to someone daft enough to buy in January.

The other element to be aware of is that, his modest goals return is often a very high % of his teams overall goals. That is because he is a very selfish forward, as his meagre assist figure attest. Replace with someone with stronger tactical and technical ability.

Edited by BoroMart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He scored on Tuesday. (According to the dubious goals committee) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Uwe said:

He scored on Tuesday. (According to the dubious goals committee) 

Yeah, I saw that, clearly got friends at the EFL, i

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Uwe said:

He scored on Tuesday. (According to the dubious goals committee) 

Yeah, I saw that, clearly got friends at the EFL, to be honest, that's his kind of range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looked like it was his goal to me when I watched the replay at the match. I've not seen the replay since.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BoroMart said:

You should care mate. If he only scores against the poor sides, and doesn't do anything of note against the top 8, then we are basically accepting mediocrity.

He WILL always score enough goals to be perceived as a top scorer. The reality though is he has only ever finished in the top 10 championship scorers once, he was 7th. That's regardless of team, style, manager. How can you be a top striker yet only vaguely trouble the leagues top scorers once in 5 seasons?

He is a flop for 15mill and 30k/week because you spend that money to influence the big games, not to score a brace against Burton, a tap in vs Millwall and a penna vs Barnsley. By keeping him, we are pouring good money after bad. Cut our loses and sell him to someone daft enough to buy in January.

The other element to be aware of is that, his modest goals return is often a very high % of his teams overall goals. That is because he is a very selfish forward, as his meagre assist figure attest. Replace with someone with stronger tactical and technical ability.

How many flops score 14 goals in a Pulis team. Talk about an overstatement, Jesus wept.

I don't care ultimately who scores the goals so long as the team is capable of scoring the goals. If he bangs then in against weaker sides and other players score against the big sides, who ultimately gives a cack? Not that we are in any place either last season or this season to be doing that but I firmly ain't placing the blame entirely on him for that.

Add to the fact I've seen genuine improvement from him this season in both his decision making and definitely his hold up play, if he can continue with that and get back on the goal trail, as I said, I don't really care who he scores against.

And let's say your wishes are granted. How do we replace him? Do you trust us to get someone better in? Or as good as? Or even mildly far off from what he is right now? I'm of little doubt at the moment he'll be gone in January personally anyway from the need to further balance out the wage bill and the lack of a promotion push but I've no confidence at all in us signing a striker even half as good with whatever money we get from him that goes into the kitty. Some of you would happily throw the baby out with the bathwater when it comes to Britt simply because he's on a bad run. He genuinely can't win.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Comes off their defender and back to Britt, who pokes it in.

 

Yup, exactly what I thought. Defender actually might keep it out without Britt's touch there. They all count, I'm sure he's happy with that. Might even let out a grin, God forbid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Latest Posts

    • Yeah, it might benefit us a few seasons ahead... If we manage to steady the ship and ride the storm before others.  We are all aboard, so we might as well enjoy the ride. At least it's more "exciting" this season, with something to fight for, than being 100 % sure to finish between 10th and 15th ...  I think we will survive ofc and then the actual rebuild starts.  A lot of clubs will have to do the same sooner or later and I am actually glad we do it now, instead of being dead and "BURYed" in the future.  Maybe Gibson has a better vision of the future, than what he gets credit for. Maybe we are just spoiled kids, who no longer get what we point our fingers at... 
    • Boro flashback 12th December 1903 Our 1st  ever fixture played on this day as a football league club was way back on the 1903, our debut season at Ayresome Park On our 8th home game in our brand new stadium the Boro beat Bury 1-0 at home with a goal from ever present centre forward Alex Brown, scoring his 6th goal of the season Attendance 10,000
    • He'd be on a free as he left Forest in October so that's no surprise. He also scored against us in April...
    • Alexander Milosevic according to someone on another forum but that would be January not in the summer.
    • 7 definitely has to be the target! Have a feeling we will fluff one of the home games and get an unexpected win against Swansea or Preston.
×
×
  • Create New...