oneBoro Forum

Woodgates title prediction

If we were to be realistic, Boro aren’t winning the league this season. But what is everyone’s thoughts on Woodgate saying in his press conference that he thinks Fulham will win it?

Again, he’s being realistic, but what does that do to a players confidence hearing your own manager stating that he doesn’t think they can go all the way? And that he doesn’t have belief in his own tactics that he can pull off a shock, something that does happen in this division? 

Most managers won't say they expect to win the league, it heaps pressure on players, would much rather say another club and then creep under the radar while everyone is focused on them, bit like what Norwich did last season.

Plus it doesn't leave you looking like a right muppet when you ultimately fail to even scrape into the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, Batmalan said:

Most managers won't say they expect to win the league, it heaps pressure on players, would much rather say another club and then creep under the radar while everyone is focused on them, bit like what Norwich did last season.

Plus it doesn't leave you looking like a right muppet when you ultimately fail to even scrape into the playoffs.

Not suggesting that he should have said Boro, but a generic championship manager response would have been fitting there .. ‘it’s a tough league’ , ‘there’s potentially 10 teams who could win it’ something like that. 

I don't think it's at all going to affect players who undoubtedly also see Fulham as a significant title contender. If we were aiming for a title, we've got a funny way of showing it by ultimately not preparing the squad to do it. I don't think any of our players are going to be kidded into believing we're going for the title this year and talking up another side only puts pressure on them, like Stoke last season and us the season before. Difference being we at least felt we were gearing up for an attempt at a title smashing season in many ways.

The club's message of patience comes from the top, I think it'd be mad to ask the fans publicly for patience to then tell the players they can win the title. Let's focus on the style of football we want to play first and foremost, let's get that right before we start setting goals of promotion or play-offs. Focus on the next game, one game at a time, focus on improving as individuals and as a unit and focusing on building a more stable club for the future.

Like all managers. What he says publicly will be very different to what he says behind closed doors 

• Like 1

The players are not daft either, most of them probably agree with him. 

I don't see a problem with being honest as long as you are telling the players that we can beat anyone on our day. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Duvel said:

The players are not daft either, most of them probably agree with him. 

I don't see a problem with being honest as long as you are telling the players that we can beat anyone on our day. 

Too early to tell but I think Fulham will have far more many "on our day" games we may not have as many "days"