oneBoro Forum

How confident are you in Woodgate after our start to the season?

How confident are you in Woodgate after our start to the season?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Are you....

• Fully confident - needs more time
    • So-So - early days yet
    • Bit worried - not the best start
    • Extremely worried - can't see scope for improvement

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/30/2019 at 10:48 AM

I’m also looking at the running of the club more than woodgate at the moment. The squad is desperately in need of a fix and the jury is still out imo wether they will actually be able to do it.

However... A worry I have about Woodgate is how good he is at getting the best out of players. Looking at games this season only fletcher and McNair seem to have ‘stepped up’ where as the rest seem to be almost on auto pilot.

• Like 1
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally I think it's a bit daft to be worried about Woody any more or less than anyone was before his appointment. I don't think there's enough evidence to prove he's going to be a good or bad appo

It's not Woodgate I'm worried about and this is coming from someone who didn't want him. Its Gibson and the clowns around him that worry me, they've shafted Woodgate good and proper in the transfer wi

Posted Images

I haven't voted because I don't know which one to pick. The squad isn't brilliant and very thin but that's not down to Woodgate. He's kinda been thrown in at the deep end when the club are struggling for money, which, without being disrespectful, is down to Gibson and co and their poor choices.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Ash said:

I haven't voted because I don't know which one to pick. The squad isn't brilliant and very thin but that's not down to Woodgate. He's kinda been thrown in at the deep end when the club are struggling for money, which, without being disrespectful, is down to Gibson and co and their poor choices.

Agree with this. I also haven’t voted. Very unfair on Woodgate to have such a poll at this point.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Agree with this. I also haven’t voted. Very unfair on Woodgate to have such a poll at this point.

Exactly! I don't think anyone is realistically expecting us to get promoted with this squad but we should all be sticking by him at this early stage, he has a very long and probably difficult road ahead of him as manager. It's sad to hear some people in the crowd are already on his back!

• Like 3

Well I believe he should have been left in charge of the youth or the U23s whatever the reserves are called these days. Short on players yes and like the previous posters I agree all down to Gibson and the DoF.

Every season we go through the same excuses the squad is not ready the squad is not large enough.

Reason's for this is we also never buy early always the last weeks of the window even the last minutes at times before the window close's.

We get in players that everyone else as overlooked because they are not good enough. But they always seem to be good enough for Boro.

Has for no money to spend how is it Gibson as made his name as a good business man making his fortune in other company's like Bulk Haulage and others he as his fingers in, but cannot make any money in all his years at Boro.

My thoughts are perhaps this club is his way or dodging paying high taxes on all his other business's .

Edited by Motor Mouth
2 minutes ago, Motor Mouth said:

Well I believe he should have been left in charge of the youth or the U23s whatever the reserves are called these days. Short on players yes and like the previous posters I agree all down to Gibson and the DoF.

Every season we go through the same excuses the squad is not ready the squad is not large enough.

Reason's for this is we also never buy early always the last week of the window even the last minutes at times before the window close's.

We get in players that everyone else as overlooked because they are not good enough. But they always seem to be good enough for Boro.

Has for no money to spend how is it Gibson as made is name as a good business man making his fortune in other things but cannot make any money in all his years at Boro.

My thoughts are perhaps this club is his way or dodging paying high taxes on all his other business's .

Can’t disagree with you MM but this poll is about Woodgate and as such is very unfair 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Can’t disagree with you MM but this poll is about Woodgate and as such is very unfair 

Blanco  I seriously do not believe Woody is qualified enough and to be honest I am pretty sick of the MFC being a teaching camp for new and up and coming managers. Robbo/McClaren/Southgate/AK and now Woody.

The guy was a great defender I will give him that but he really needs to be sitting behind an experienced manager for another couple of years imo.

I will take McClaren out of that mix because he served under Smith at Derby and Fergie at Utd but the rest had no previous AK was only one of about 3/4 coach's that Mourinho looked to.

6 minutes ago, Motor Mouth said:

Blanco  I seriously do not believe Woody is qualified enough and to be honest I am pretty sick of the MFC being a teaching camp for new and up and coming managers. Robbo/McClaren/Southgate/AK and now Woody.

The guy was a great defender I will give him that but he really needs to be sitting behind an experienced manager for another couple of years imo.

I will take McClaren out of that mix because he served under Smith at Derby and Fergie at Utd but the rest had no previous AK was only one of about 3/4 coach's that Mourinho looked to.

MM he is as qualified as Gerrard. Lampard (last year) and even Guardiola at Barcelona. His pedigree as a player is up there with the best and he is as entitled to be a manager as anyone else. We are his hometown club and the ideal starting point for him. It is not his fault how we are being run or have been run over the years. He is on a hiding to nothing and has a better chance of succeeding if the fans get behind him 100%. Polls like this do nothing to help him

• Like 2

Good post and interesting to see people's choices.

Feel really sorry for Woody. Thrown in at the deep end by Gibson with no backing whatsoever.

Believe me, behind the scenes the club is shambles and it's down to 1 Gibson.

Woody never ever going to turn down the opportunity and I so want it to work, but without backing he is always going to fail.

Including pre season, we are absolutely shocking defensively and apart from 45mins against Luton we haven't changed from last season.

We haven't the players to play high press football at the moment until we get rid of the dead wood and ageing players.

I honestly can't see better than a 12th - 15th position this season and I worry at points of the season we will be hanging around relegation places.

I hope I am completely wrong, but we are getting carved out of open so easy it's frightening and we haven't even played a half decent team yet.

Playing players out of position like HOwson and Fletcher is making the team unbalanced as much as I like both individually.

People may say we have been unlucky with the few results, but it's masking over the serious problems.

Blackburn carved us open so easy at times as did Wigan and Millwall 1st half. The signs were there in pre season against hartlepool (you can say it was only a friendly, but positional we are are all over the place).

Maybe speaking out of turn, but from what I know we don't work on the opposition we are playing against which for me is extremely scary.

If we were Liverpool or Man City I can understand that but we are not good enough to not do our homework on the upcoming events opposition.

Cant really say Ive lost any confidence in Woody. He hasn't really done anything I disagree with so far tactically and he isn't responsible for our lack of depth. He's  TRYING to do the right things, though hes in a very difficult position.

• Like 2

two points  id like to make .  yes i agree that Woody has been given a bad hand  and  is somewhat been given leeway because of that  but in all honesty  can you say that his appointment is any different in  regard of  the  experience he had to  fall on ,or lack of  ,and  what  he has to work with  ,to that of Agnew  .   Agnew  never had any leeway from the fans  and im not saying  he warranted any ,but  this is basically  that appointment mark two .  

the other point is  with the choice of coaches  and  did any proper thought go into  selecting them  seeing as though  we knew we wanted to implement this  high press  more  attractive football  .  Leo  in all probability has no idea how to throw any technical nous  into this  , Robbie  ,i doubt has either  . it seems we  settled on  a well known name and  a  guy with  a good  fan feel good factor  .   

46 minutes ago, Essuuaitch said:

two points  id like to make .  yes i agree that Woody has been given a bad hand  and  is somewhat been given leeway because of that  but in all honesty  can you say that his appointment is any different in  regard of  the  experience he had to  fall on ,or lack of  ,and  what  he has to work with  ,to that of Agnew  .   Agnew  never had any leeway from the fans  and im not saying  he warranted any ,but  this is basically  that appointment mark two .  

the other point is  with the choice of coaches  and  did any proper thought go into  selecting them  seeing as though  we knew we wanted to implement this  high press  more  attractive football  .  Leo  in all probability has no idea how to throw any technical nous  into this  , Robbie  ,i doubt has either  . it seems we  settled on  a well known name and  a  guy with  a good  fan feel good factor  .   

Well that's a whole lot of conjecture right there, you have absolutely no idea what Robbie Keane or Leo are good at coaching!

I voted "So-So". I'll try and condense all my points.

We needed to cut our cloth hugely after not being promoted last season. We have made some very positive steps towards doing that. It is of my opinion that we still have a little way to go in that department. But the foundations have started to be laid.

The squad Woodgate inherited had some huge gaps in it (Full backs and Wingers). We have brought in a right-back, a left-back and we have brought in a winger. We still need another few wingers as a top priority in my opinion. The squad is also very thin in certain areas and that needs addressing in the next few windows. But by and large it is near enough the same squad that finished 7th. 

We appointed a total novice to management in Woodgate. Who for many (myself included) was not many people's first choice. He is also trying (in his words) to completely change the current playing style of the club. But also be the spearhead in implementing a longer term strategy for the entire club going forwards.

I am firmly of the belief that this season is season 1 of a 3/4 year plan. Barring any major problems (being in danger of relegation) I cannot see the club's stance changing on this. All of the above points in my opinion could not have been fixed in this summer alone. The financial trimming and squad building will probably take another 2/3 windows.

Then in my opinion it will probably take this whole season to see an actual change in playing style becoming defined. I'm sure over this season Woodgate will tweak his style to suit the players he currently has. But by and large he will have laid some strong templates for next season's playing style. 

The old addage of "Rome wasn't built in a day" is very much at the front of my mind for the foreseeable future.

36 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Well that's a whole lot of conjecture right there, you have absolutely no idea what Robbie Keane or Leo are good at coaching!

True ,it is conjecture  ,hence the use of the words....Did, in all probability,and i doubt.  i might be wrong ( i also might not be)     but i hope im not being policed  in having  thoughts .    

2 minutes ago, Essuuaitch said:

True ,it is conjecture  ,hence the use of the words....Did, in all probability,and i doubt.  i might be wrong ( i also might not be)     but i hope im not being policed  in having  thoughts .    

you can have all the thoughts you like but it makes your "point" a little asinine when it's based on nothing at all.