oneBoro Forum

How confident are you in Woodgate after our start to the season?

How confident are you in Woodgate after our start to the season?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Are you....

• Fully confident - needs more time
    • So-So - early days yet
    • Bit worried - not the best start
    • Extremely worried - can't see scope for improvement

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/30/2019 at 10:48 AM

I've voted so-so but, in all honesty, it is the club I lack confidence in rather than Woodgate per se. The club seem to be setting Woodgate up to fail. Yes, a top manager would be able to get more out of our squad than Woodgate is, but a top manager would not touch us with a barge pole in the current circumstances. Woodgate is doing as well as I would expect for a rookie manager with no support and a fairly inexperienced coaching team - if not slightly better. He seems to have a bit more of a plan b than our other recent managers but is limited by the thin squad. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally I think it's a bit daft to be worried about Woody any more or less than anyone was before his appointment. I don't think there's enough evidence to prove he's going to be a good or bad appo

It's not Woodgate I'm worried about and this is coming from someone who didn't want him. Its Gibson and the clowns around him that worry me, they've shafted Woodgate good and proper in the transfer wi

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Motor Mouth said:

Blanco  I seriously do not believe Woody is qualified enough and to be honest I am pretty sick of the MFC being a teaching camp for new and up and coming managers. Robbo/McClaren/Southgate/AK and now Woody.

tbh.. we are usually worse off by appointing 'established' managers.. I'd say the only 'recent' exception would be Venables' brief run, but even that was a bit of a strange/unique setup with Roboo tbh.

Your argument is fundamentally flawed, given that the list pretty much covers the managers who've provided best years of our time at the Riverside.

Obviously Southgate didn't pull up any trees, but I also think his first 2 seasons don't get the credit they deserve - yeah we only finished mid table, but I seem to remember he was going through the first 'cost-cutting' period since the Riverside era began, Hoyte.. Aliadiere.. Dong Gook Lee.. Mido... then the club seemingly blew everything on Afonso Alves who Southgate didn't want.

Also, like people have said, there are counless examples of managers in their first jobs doing a great job.. us included. So lighten up a bit..! ?✌️

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Essuuaitch said:

True ,it is conjecture  ,hence the use of the words....Did, in all probability,and i doubt.  i might be wrong ( i also might not be)     but i hope im not being policed  in having  thoughts .    

Is there something wrong with your keyboard?

4 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

4 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Why do you ask that ?    

ps ,  what a time for the quote to  appear twice,  lol .

Early days, but we appear  very one paced again ,with no zip whatsoever in Midfield , Fletcher & Paddy aside not many performing to the required standard , & worryingly  against Milwall , the big physical side  of the game which we seemed ok with in the past we seem to be now struggling with as  ayala & shotton were bullied . I fear even more against pacey quick sides.  On the plus side we can only improve...can't we ? 

I put so so, and that's being optimistic. 

What concerns me most of all is that I'm just not convinced that Woodgate has the tactical knowledge to transform a team into one we all want. I think in times of this, an experienced head goes a long way. 

Woodgate can also harp on about how he wants to play high pressing and other football buzz words, but have we got a squad that is capable of doing this? I dont think so. 

As others have rightly said, he has been shafted by Gibson in the transfer market, but it wont be Woodgate or Gibson who will suffer, it's the fans. Woodgate has essentially a free hit because no one is expecting him to pull up trees, and the opportunity was too good to turn down. Just like Southgate you could argue. 

From the games we've played this season, there have been flashes of more attacking football, but for me, that's about it. You look at how other teams are playing between the lines and passing our of trouble, we very rarely do this. 

We have a weak squad but we are actively pursuing a tactic which will have risked injury and fatigue? It doesnt make sense. 

I really really want the club to get back to where it needs to be, but the appointments and signings we've made have unfortunately left us as a middling and average championship side. 

People keep saying, oh but Norwich had a bad start to the season and they turned it around. Farke had 176 games under his belt before coming to Norwich. 

Lampard had a good squad and added to that with premier league quality players in Wilson and Mount, who carried the team at times. 

Villa had an experienced manager 400+ games and quality signings in Abraham to carry them. 

We've had neither and I just think Gibson has *** off the fans. 

38 minutes ago, Brunners said:

your posts are filled with extra spaces.

oh my god , extra spaces .  Seriously, does that annoy or irritate people  .  

BTW ,Brunners, if you were just informing me of the reason ,then  thanks for the explanation.  

52 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

I like him and believe he knows what he wants to do. Whether he'll be able to do it with this group of players and recruitment team.. we'll see.

very fair post,  my thoughts as well .  i suppose the other question would be , Do you think he would be capable with the right  tools to work with ,  again ,only time and circumstances would answer this , Two things that  may not  materialise.   

I voted a little worried but that's just as much because of what we are hearing behind the scenes. I don't doubt that Woodgate has way that he would really like us to play, but I worry that he hasn't got the power to get enough backing from the club. We clearly lack in numbers but I also think that we are lacking something in the organisation on the pitch and whether that is because the squad needs time or because Woodgate isn't good enough tactically remains to be seen. Right now I'm happy to give him time but there also needs to be some signs of improvement after the upcoming international break.

3 hours ago, Essuuaitch said:

oh my god , extra spaces .  Seriously, does that annoy or irritate people  .  

BTW ,Brunners, if you were just informing me of the reason ,then  thanks for the explanation.  

I was just explaining. 

It is odd to read though. Not a big deal and you do you, but I see why DZ asked.