oneBoro Forum

How confident are you in Woodgate after our start to the season?

How confident are you in Woodgate after our start to the season?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Are you....

• Fully confident - needs more time
    • So-So - early days yet
    • Bit worried - not the best start
    • Extremely worried - can't see scope for improvement

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/30/2019 at 10:48 AM

As someone who really wanted us to get cowley to manage I have to say woodgate has turned me around now.

he clearly got crapped on during the transfer window and what’s impressed me is he has just stuck to his job and stuck to his Vision. He doesn’t spend all post match moaning about money or trying to sugar coat mediocrity and I like that.

My main worry was could he transfer words into action and after a shakeup start he is, the last couple of games you can finally see his game plan coming through, it’s not perfect, far from it, but we can now have hope that it will get better given time and hopefully 1 or 2 new signings.

Another worry I had was what ends most new managers, will the team shape work and will we be able to defend properly. The early signs wernt good, we were awful at Luton and not much better in the following games. But again it’s got better, at the very least you can watch us and we don’t look ‘disorganised’, we set up well and our defending has got better each game that passes, yes we are more open but honestly that doesn’t bother me, it’s what I and others wanted to see. 

A final worry I had was wether he’s getting the best out of our players, there only seemed to be fletcher and Randolph putting the extra few percent into their performances, the rest seemed to be a bit on auto pilot. Now Clayton has massively stepped up, Dijksteel is settling more with every game and Johnson is having more impact.

Over all he’s showed he will turn round every issue I had, we now turn up to games to play not spoil and we are improving as a team unit. In our current position I can’t expect much more so you have to say well done to woodgate and his team.

Id still like to see us address the midfield area, most of our problems come from there and I think we get out played in that area to often both football wise and physically, But on past evidence he will most likely sort it out!

• Like 3
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally I think it's a bit daft to be worried about Woody any more or less than anyone was before his appointment. I don't think there's enough evidence to prove he's going to be a good or bad appo

It's not Woodgate I'm worried about and this is coming from someone who didn't want him. Its Gibson and the clowns around him that worry me, they've shafted Woodgate good and proper in the transfer wi

Posted Images

1 hour ago, LinoJo3 said:

As someone who really wanted us to get cowley to manage I have to say woodgate has turned me around now.

he clearly got crapped on during the transfer window and what’s impressed me is he has just stuck to his job and stuck to his Vision. He doesn’t spend all post match moaning about money or trying to sugar coat mediocrity and I like that.

My main worry was could he transfer words into action and after a shakeup start he is, the last couple of games you can finally see his game plan coming through, it’s not perfect, far from it, but we can now have hope that it will get better given time and hopefully 1 or 2 new signings.

Another worry I had was what ends most new managers, will the team shape work and will we be able to defend properly. The early signs wernt good, we were awful at Luton and not much better in the following games. But again it’s got better, at the very least you can watch us and we don’t look ‘disorganised’, we set up well and our defending has got better each game that passes, yes we are more open but honestly that doesn’t bother me, it’s what I and others wanted to see. 

A final worry I had was wether he’s getting the best out of our players, there only seemed to be fletcher and Randolph putting the extra few percent into their performances, the rest seemed to be a bit on auto pilot. Now Clayton has massively stepped up, Dijksteel is settling more with every game and Johnson is having more impact.

Over all he’s showed he will turn round every issue I had, we now turn up to games to play not spoil and we are improving as a team unit. In our current position I can’t expect much more so you have to say well done to woodgate and his team.

Id still like to see us address the midfield area, most of our problems come from there and I think we get out played in that area to often both football wise and physically, But on past evidence he will most likely sort it out!

Good write up, I would think you're not the only one on here who Woodgate has won over.

I think it's still early to pass judgement on him as a manager, however I've got to say I love his passion and honesty in interviews. He won't spin us a line like Pulis did, if it's *** he'll say it's *** and if he thinks something went against us then he'll call it out. Refreshing honesty after our last two spin doctors Managers.

• Like 1

It is still early days. We did well at Bristol City barring a couple of defensive errors and we got what I felt was a lucky victory after a poor first half on Saturday. But 8 points from last 12 looks good on the surface. If we can keep picking up results like these whilst developing to be a better team, progressing on our tactical goals during this time, we should be more than safe this season and pretty much what I'd expect from a team with good players but a rookie coaching staff. January will still be a big time for us, we'll see how much he gets shafted then as there could still be players to leave yet before we improve the squad.

Such fine margins, if them two perfectly fine goals not been disallowed against Brentford that’s probably an extra 3 points.

If a blatant hand ball had been given against Milwall, that’s an extra 2 points.

That would put us 4/5th place in the league..

Obviously we could have missed the pen, and we might not have went onto win the Brentford game, but it goes to show we really aren’t far off. 4 games unbeaten now. Things are looking up, not down. UTB

So far i am more than happy with his run. We are more exciting to watch and you can clearly see his vision and passion. If it wasn't for a few bad refereeing decisions we could have been towards the top of the table, although you can dwell on those moments or blame them for our position.

Overall i feel like we have been revitalised and even with a mid table finish this season  i am more than happy with the progression and growth that we have seen. Realistically speaking anything above 10th i would be happy with this season, but next year i think we will be strong contenders for  automatic promotion.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t say we have been ‘revatilised’ yet and if you were looking at us on a progression curve I’d put us at the bottom of it. It looks like we’ve bottomed out for now and the next big question is wether we can start to turn it upwards again or will we plateau or dip further.

• Like 1

we've been as good as we have been bad, and equally unlucky this season.

if you add that up with the overall situation as a club and rookie managerial team....

I'd say we're heading in the right direction

• Like 1

I wasn't against making him manager.. I actually thought 'why not?'.. But, I didn't think I'd find him as likeable as I do now..

his passion in interviews, how speaks about the area

after the game when he goes over a puts an arm around a player that's had a tough game - whereas Pulis would slate them on the radio for all to hear .. which leads me to..

his decision to make Fry captain and treat him as the pro he is - not stick him right back and waste his potential.

• Like 1

With such fine margins between success and failure it’s early days for me to make judgement. I believe we see him in a better light because we want him to succeed where as a manager not associated with the club would not have been afforded. I stated I did not believe we would make the play offs but wanted to see committed football and believe that’s the case although at times we have been pretty fragile and not yet a combined flowing unit that links together. Once again we have had international breaks and I believe this will work to our advantage because it gives us more time to reflect and strengthen. Early days. 

In this post Pulis-apocalyptic state our players were delivered in, I do believe that Woody is doing a good job... It's looking better and this seasons games (7) has been more exciting than the whole 46 games last season. 

I love Woody's honesty and enthusiasm and a full season is the least amount of time he should have the chairman's faith... unless we flirt with relegation late on, which I doubt.

If we get that good feeling going and keep getting 2 points a game, like the last 4 games, then we can for sure compete for the 6 top spots. Add a player or two i January and we will be fine. 

Game for game:

Luton: We probably should have been flying high with 3 points in the opener, shouldn't we?

Brentford: Here we should have at least had the draw. 2 perfect good goals ruled out. 

Blackburn: Our worst game so far and this one we deserved to lose.

Wigan: We won against a very weak opponent. Small victory but the first blood was drawn!

Millwall: Well, could have been more than the draw it was... But wasn't our day.

Bristol City: If we could hold on to a lead, that'd be great - Good spells and bad spells during the game

Reading: If you only look at the stats, Reading must feel disappointed, but overall, even without red glasses, I think we were the better team and deserved the win. The tactics start to look better and better. At least the attacking intent looks better. Defense needs to be sorted out, but it's going in the right direction. Good to see Shotton stepping up and show some sort of quality. His blocking is quite good. He has had a lot of stick recently, but when he does good, he deserves some nice words too! #forteddy

Let us judge Woody and his team, when the January window closes, cause now it's early days and a head coach with that kind of enthusiasm (even without the financial backing needed) deserves some space to sort things out his way... I believe this season will be alright, do you?

• Like 2

I'm in the 'too early to tell, but I'm confident in the direction of travel' camp.

To be honest he is unlucky not to be a in play off spot, and that would be over achieving with the squad we have. We have the 8th highest squad value (according to transfermrkt) in the championship, but it's very unbalanced, he inherited almost all of it from a manager with a different philosophy and a large chunk of that squad value is tied up in one bog standard championship player and a midfield misfit. 

With the learning curve he is on, I think he has done fairly well.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, BoroMart said:

I'm in the 'too early to tell, but I'm confident in the direction of travel' camp.

To be honest he is unlucky not to be a in play off spot, and that would be over achieving with the squad we have. We have the 8th highest squad value (according to transfermrkt) in the championship, but it's very unbalanced, he inherited almost all of it from a manager with a different philosophy and a large chunk of that squad value is tied up in one bog standard championship player and a midfield misfit. 

With the learning curve he is on, I think he has done fairly well.

Good post basically how I feel about things.

One thing for sure looking at most other teams in the division we certainly are on par with most of them. Game by game is all we can really judge our progression on, just wish we could score more goals but this has been the issue with Boro for such a long time

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Good post basically how I feel about things.

One thing for sure looking at most other teams in the division we certainly are on par with most of them. Game by game is all we can really judge our progression on, just wish we could score more goals but this has been the issue with Boro for such a long time

I think you could quite fairly argue we should be significantly better off in the goals department.

Luton - penalty missed

Brentford - 2 perfectly good goals chalked off

Reading - another perfectly good goal chalked off

Millwall - 3 penalties not given by the ref.

In an ideal world we are 5-7 goals better off.