oneBoro Forum

How confident are you in Woodgate after our start to the season?

How confident are you in Woodgate after our start to the season?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Are you....

• Fully confident - needs more time
    • So-So - early days yet
    • Bit worried - not the best start
    • Extremely worried - can't see scope for improvement

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/30/2019 at 10:48 AM

I absolutely can't imagine Gibson sacking Woodgate after 11 games so I'm not getting too excited about him leaving just yet. The next international break starts after our away game at WPR on 9th November so that could be a good time to make a managerial change. That would give Woodgate the games against WBA (home), Huddersfield (away), Fulham(home), Derby (away) & QPR (Away). That's a very tough set of fixtures by Championship standards, especially taking into account the pathetic performances that we put in. I think us giving Woodgate them games would simply be throwing away points as the standard of performances that we've put in this season makes us cannon-fodder so I'd much rather we get rid of him now. Gibson will surely want to give Woodgate more time as he won't want to accept that he has made a big mistake, but if he has his eye on someone who is currently available then it may force his hand. I'd love to have Karanka back here to sort this mess out but he'd probably cost too much so will surely be out of our budget.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally I think it's a bit daft to be worried about Woody any more or less than anyone was before his appointment. I don't think there's enough evidence to prove he's going to be a good or bad appo

It's not Woodgate I'm worried about and this is coming from someone who didn't want him. Its Gibson and the clowns around him that worry me, they've shafted Woodgate good and proper in the transfer wi

Posted Images

4 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I can't imagine Gibbo sacking anyone after 11 games, nor would I like him to in pretty much any realistic scenario.

Surely even you can see this experiment is headed for disaster, hughton is available tine to stop *** about and get him in, or we’re heading for league 1.

2 hours ago, LinoJo3 said:

Surely even you can see this experiment is headed for disaster, hughton is available tine to stop *** about and get him in, or we’re heading for league 1.

You don't sack your brand new manager in a transitional season, come on. Would Hughton even want to come here with the new direction the club is going in (no money, rely on youth and cheap league 1 players?)

6 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

You don't sack your brand new manager in a transitional season, come on. Would Hughton even want to come here with the new direction the club is going in (no money, rely on youth and cheap league 1 players?)

You don’t believe all that rubbish do you?

6 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

You are right, however transition into what? If he has lost his bottle and reverted back to the one dimensional football served to us over the past 5 or 6 seasons then there is no transition. He needs to see through the vision he sold to us. I can accept defeats if I can see some change on the pitch, but to appear that he is bottling it after 10 games is worrying to me.

4 hours ago, TAPOUT said:

You are right, however transition into what? If he has lost his bottle and reverted back to the one dimensional football served to us over the past 5 or 6 seasons then there is no transition. He needs to see through the vision he sold to us. I can accept defeats if I can see some change on the pitch, but to appear that he is bottling it after 10 games is worrying to me.

?

On 10/6/2019 at 3:06 AM, LinoJo3 said:

I've stated my reasons that I see changes happening. Yes, I think plenty of managers would get twitchy fingers given the situation (especially when some fans so incredibly keen for something different have suddenly decided they care a great deal more about results than they did the season before), I do hope he has the courage to stick to his convictions a bit more but we're not even close to panic stations yet, for me. Even Stoke could still get promoted, think on that.

If at 11 games in, we give up on a long term decision, what kind of club are we? And what sacrifices do we have to make to get someone like Hughton in if that's to be the case? We still have to pay off Woodgate and his staff, we have to pay more for Hughton and his staff than we do Woodgate's on top of that, I just don't see the benefit of us making that jump right now when we're not even in January. And yet it seems the same people who've spent some of the previous 18 months wondering whether we really should have sacked Monk are probably now sat there vying for blood again already, completely oblivious to what that means.

I also don't understand what fans' expectations are right now. I don't quite get the whole thought process that some on here seem to have that every time something isn't quite going to plan, we must get rid of what we have and start again. Some of you actively hate that and yet want it now! I don't know if it's the way the media sensationalises struggles to make them seem worse than they are, they encourage the merry-go-round I keep speaking of, when half of their pundits will probably say managers don't get enough time these days.

People go on about Woodgate's pressers, how he's all Boro Boro Boro and none of it swings with them. They attack him for his public principles of wanting to play a different way but ignore the one thing he will ultimately need (and asked for) if it's ever going to be a success; patience.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant, Wilson! 

Finally someone put words on my thoughts and feelings at the moment ? 

Maybe these days our materialistic ways, where people just buy new stuff and throw away the old instead of fixing it, make the human race do the same with other people.

I'll stop before I become too philosophical!

Again, good post, Wilson! 

As I have said before .. I won't start judging on this side of the January window and some people should give their head a shake and look at what THEY could do, to make a better atmosphere for staff and players...  If it's all doom and gloom, that WILL have an effect on them. Look at the Sunderland Netflix farce ... The angry fans in the stands made it very difficult for the players to find the strength and belief ... If the mind is full of "I must not lose, we must not lose" .. Then loss is the outcome on most occations...

• Like 1

It’s not ‘brilliant’ he’s gone for the standard ‘your impatient and only want success now or sack the lot’ route.

He keeps almost talking down to those who aren’t happy with woodgate and churning out these imaginary ‘improvements’ he can apparently see, yet nobody else can.

We’re clearly getting worse, we can’t break teams down, our passing is so redictable and slow and we’ve lost the one good thing we had which was our tight defence.

For me to have patience I needed to see some obvious improvement by now, we’re still the same as we were in August and it’s not going to get any better.

7 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

It’s not ‘brilliant’ he’s gone for the standard ‘your impatient and only want success now or sack the lot’ route.

He keeps almost talking down to those who aren’t happy with woodgate and churning out these imaginary ‘improvements’ he can apparently see, yet nobody else can.

We’re clearly getting worse, we can’t break teams down, our passing is so redictable and slow and we’ve lost the one good thing we had which was our tight defence.

For me to have patience I needed to see some obvious improvement by now, we’re still the same as we were in August and it’s not going to get any better.

My opinion is my opinion .. and I think it's a brilliant post! 

Funny how pessimists alwasys sees them selves as "realists" ... 

7 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

My opinion is my opinion .. and I think it's a brilliant post! 

Funny how pessimists alwasys sees them selves as "realists" ... 

Give me one thing to be optimistic about then?

1 minute ago, LinoJo3 said:

Well you do want a certain level of success already, you've said that literally at the bottom of your comment, and you absolutely do want to sack the lot because of that. I'm putting forward logical reasons for why it's daft to do that right now. You keep coming back to the football not improving and are now incredibly saying that my opinions are based on 'imaginary improvements', even though they're based on what I see. How do you come to your conclusions, like? ?

My opinions are also based on the fact we simply can't keep doing this every time something goes wrong, which is something you can't ever seem to challenge. Not only because other clubs have shown you can't just sack until you get it right when it comes to trying to fundamentally change your way of operating but financially too. I asked the same questions last year and got the same 'but the football is ***' response from you and others. People wanted to sack Pulis long before he was gone without considering the fact we'd be paying the rest of his contract off regardless (plus possibly even more if some rumours were to be believed, re the whole 'still in the hunt for play-offs when sacked will mean a bigger pay-off'). It was an afterthought for some, which brings us onto the next point.

You've made the point in the thread about Steve Gibson that we are operated inefficiently but also want us to make a further inefficient move to sack and try again and wanted us to do the same before. And what if Hughton, your man to solve the problems, comes in and is crap too? Do we sack again in another 11 games if we're still hovering down the bottom? When is enough enough and when do you decide to stop both complaining about inefficiently being operated (which I absolutely agree with you on) whilst also encouraging it? I genuinely think some think it's free to just get rid of coaches at this club.

I've also said time and again already in this debate that people can and should challenge the football on display, I've never remotely tried to stifle that debate, I bloody contribute to it every game! You make it out like I'm saying we should sit back and accept bad displays and be quiet which is never what I have said. In fact, there exists a meaningful line of thinking where you can both actively criticise and support a man in charge who ultimately is not at fault for where we are. This is on Gibson and any attempt to scapegoat Woodgate is ultimately failing to paint the picture so many want to actually do.

• Like 1