oneBoro Forum

How confident are you in Woodgate after our start to the season?

How confident are you in Woodgate after our start to the season?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Are you....

• Fully confident - needs more time
    • So-So - early days yet
    • Bit worried - not the best start
    • Extremely worried - can't see scope for improvement

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/30/2019 at 10:48 AM

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally I think it's a bit daft to be worried about Woody any more or less than anyone was before his appointment. I don't think there's enough evidence to prove he's going to be a good or bad appo

It's not Woodgate I'm worried about and this is coming from someone who didn't want him. Its Gibson and the clowns around him that worry me, they've shafted Woodgate good and proper in the transfer wi

Posted Images

It's interesting reading some of the comments in this thread from the doomsday times of a month or so ago. I wonder if Woody had these results spread out a bit more across his time in the job that maybe he'd have had a bit of an easier time with some fans.

We're 2nd in the 10 game form table, just a point behind Leeds. We're third in the 6 game form table, just a point behind 1st place Reading who've been on a great run too. We've not lost a home game since the middle of October and we've finally put our away game hoodoo to bed in some style in the last 2 games.

I think more than anything I'd like to see who, after this more positive position, would consider shifting into a more positive answer to the poll even if, like myself, you'd find yourself highest in the so-so section. I suspect there's a few people on here that won't have changed their mind and that's fine of course, just interesting to revisit this after some positivity rather than just after every other bad result.

I already knew Woodgate was going to be given the full season, and I'm honestly surprised he's turned it around given all the crap going around the club. 

Happy that he has though, because he could be Boro manager for a good few years yet.

On 1/2/2020 at 1:47 AM, wilsoncgp said:

It's interesting reading some of the comments in this thread from the doomsday times of a month or so ago. I wonder if Woody had these results spread out a bit more across his time in the job that maybe he'd have had a bit of an easier time with some fans.

We're 2nd in the 10 game form table, just a point behind Leeds. We're third in the 6 game form table, just a point behind 1st place Reading who've been on a great run too. We've not lost a home game since the middle of October and we've finally put our away game hoodoo to bed in some style in the last 2 games.

I think more than anything I'd like to see who, after this more positive position, would consider shifting into a more positive answer to the poll even if, like myself, you'd find yourself highest in the so-so section. I suspect there's a few people on here that won't have changed their mind and that's fine of course, just interesting to revisit this after some positivity rather than just after every other bad result.

I'm sure he would have done, the last few weeks have been great but from September to December it was dreadful, there's no hiding from that. 

I think people doubting Woodgate earlier in the season had perfectly valid reasons. 

1 minute ago, Duvel said:

I'm sure he would have done, the last few weeks have been great but from September to December it was dreadful, there's no hiding from that. 

I think people doubting Woodgate earlier in the season had perfectly valid reasons. 

I get that, it's more the calls for him to be sacked that I couldn't get on board with at all, despite those struggles. A rookie is almost always going to struggle to get it right from the off. Some fans just don't seem to care about the level of experience unless it can be used as a stick to beat the manager with, though.

It'd be nice if some didn't dismiss him so fervently that they wanted him sacked as the only person who can be blamed for a rookie being in the job is Gibson. I'd like to think we can, as fans, give a rookie more time to get it right or at least point the finger in the right direction when you think things are going wrong. But certainly listening to some of the responses post-match throughout this season, the buck seems to stop with Woodgate on everything for quite a lot of fans and he's not going to get any more time from fans than any other manager would.

39 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I get that, it's more the calls for him to be sacked that I couldn't get on board with at all, despite those struggles. A rookie is almost always going to struggle to get it right from the off. Some fans just don't seem to care about the level of experience unless it can be used as a stick to beat the manager with, though.

It'd be nice if some didn't dismiss him so fervently that they wanted him sacked as the only person who can be blamed for a rookie being in the job is Gibson. I'd like to think we can, as fans, give a rookie more time to get it right or at least point the finger in the right direction when you think things are going wrong. But certainly listening to some of the responses post-match throughout this season, the buck seems to stop with Woodgate on everything for quite a lot of fans and he's not going to get any more time from fans than any other manager would.

I think the lack of faith in Woodgate stemmed from a lack of faith of the club as a whole. After the poor run of results up to the start of this month it was easy to see this appointment as just another Gibson cock-up. I can see why some would have wanted us to change manager because we looked like we were in serious danger of going down. It might have been a panic move but after the last few seasons I can understand the fans panicking. 

I'll be honest I didn't see this recent run of wins coming, I was never calling for Woodgates head but that was more due to a lack of faith in Gibson appointing a good replacement than a belief that Woodgate would turn it round. 

• 1 month later...

To bring this thread back to life and to answer the thread title - I am not confident in JW. I am sorry but I have tried very hard to remain confident and when our bad run was taking place in Oct & Nov I said there was mitigation for him in terms of of injuries and size of squad. However, that mitigation no longer exists.

You can say criticise the quality of the squad but bottom line is this - this squad is still good enough to not be 3 points from relegation. The majority of this squad was pushing for play offs last season. And that is the key question imho. Could another manager, who has been dealt the same hand as JW in terms of squad, injuries and finances, do a better job than JW is currently doing. The answer has to be a categorical big fat yes.

To that end the following 3 managers I believe are sensible options we should be looking at (I am aware SG only appoints managers out of work so I am not going to bother wasting mine or anyone else time starting a discussion about good managers in work):-

1. Nigel Adkins

2. Chris Hughton

3. Neil Warnock (Happy for this to even be to end of season as I am aware given his age and his location in Cornwall he might not fancy a long term project up here)

• Like 1

I've said for a long time that Hughton would have been my choice in the summer and that I think Adkins would get a lot out of the players we already have (he's not fashionable but he would suit what we have). Warnock I would take until the summer and it would probably suit him as he wants one final short term management post.

He just has to go. He hasn't the brain for the tactical side of the game.

Hand Karanka a good wage and promise of investment and let's get out of this mess and bring the fans back.

I'd also take (although most unrealistic knowing our chairman):

Chris Hughton

Nathan Jones

Warnock (only until end of the season)

Javi Gracia

Sanchez Flores

I think most of the names mentioned above are out of our league financially and could probably do better than us in our current state. 

The likes of Pulis and Warnock would probably come back on a short term deal if we threw enough money at them but it's not the answer long term. 

I could see Gibson getting someone like Pulis until the end of the season and then starting again in the summer. I've got zero faith in it being a sound appointment though, it would probably end up being someone like George Friend or Hignett.  

2 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I think most of the names mentioned above are out of our league financially and could probably do better than us in our current state. 

The likes of Pulis and Warnock would probably come back on a short term deal if we threw enough money at them but it's not the answer long term. 

I could see Gibson getting someone like Pulis until the end of the season and then starting again in the summer. I've got zero faith in it being a sound appointment though, it would probably end up being someone like George Friend or Hignett.  

Well 12 games left and we possibly need 12 points or more. It is getting to squeeky bum time and the point of no return!

Warnock or Pulis until the end of the season would likely be a comfortable short respite as it probably keep us up, however, it would just keep Gibson’s long term corrosive influence over the club. We’re slowly drifting towards League One so I’m very scared for the club’s future.

The only time in the past decade when we progressed sustainably (over more thank for a season) was under Karanka, which was incidentally a time when Gibson became very concerned about too much control being taken away from him. Karanka was the best thing to happen to the club in the past decade. There were downsides like the implosion pre Charlton - that’s beyond doubt - but the countless highs far outweigh them lows.

EDIT: graphic of Sky added below of our record under Karanka that I was previously referencing. That sort of record seems a million miles away now.

Edited by p_mards
  • Like 1