oneBoro Forum

Boro v Bristol City (A) 2-2 (Moore (og) Assombalonga)

6 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

It’s a shame all the hard work is being undone because we are so weak at the back.  Still I’m happy for some strange reason and it’s neither drink nor substance.

Same. Think it's because we finally can watch an exciting game of football after 2 seasons of being bored to death by Pulis.

• Like 1
  • Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all and welcome to the first audio match day thread of the season. Please see the attached mp3 file for the opening post (as long as it works...)   ttsMP3.com_VoiceText_2019-8-26_12_

???

Harsh to be losing but you can't give away free headers like that, poor, poor defending. Really enjoyed a lot of our play today, think pretty much everyone going forward has been great.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Ash said:

Same. Think it's because we finally can watch an exciting game of football after 2 seasons of being bored to death by Pulis.

Ash so true. How many of us thought we would get hammered today and are pleased to bemoan not  taking all three points. It’s feels good. 

15 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Ayala is a huge player for us, I doubt we’d have conceded either of them goals if he was playing. 

The question is do we drop Shotton who’s played well last two games, or Fry who was at fault for both goals today? I presume Shotton, but it would almost be a bit harsh now. 

Long term Fry and Ayala is a promotion partnership at the back.

I agree with you regarding Fry's positioning for both goals.  Bit surprised that he was playing on the right and Shotton on the left. 

• Like 1
Just now, sanddancer said:

Ash so true. How many of us thought we would get hammered today and are pleased to bemoan not  taking all three points. It’s feels good. 

Aye, exactly. I have to say I'm very impressed with the turnaround in our attacking overall, defending needs work but we'll get there. Pleased with the improvement in Clayton and McNair this season especially. I for one expected us to get battered today but we came out all guns blazing and never stopped. That's all we can ask for!

10 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

Clayton's passing was exceptional today 

I've been banging the "Clayton has an excellent pass" drum for a while now and I'm happy we finally saw what he can do when given the opportunity.

16 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Miles better than most of what we've seen this season and much closer to what I'd like to see from us each week.  Fry at fault for the second goal but not the first.  If you wanted to make a wider point, you could say that if opposition midfielders are going to run into our penalty area then our midfielders need to track them or we'll always have some problems.  However, with the second goal, Fry has him in his sights and then leaves him whilst not marking anyone else so that's down to him.  It was good to see us still looking to win it at the end.  The two new lads did ok and pretty much so did everyone else.  I don't know what happened with the Blackburn, Wigan and Millwall games but today was a significant shift away from those three in terms of what we were trying to do.

Looks a bit like Fry got caught ball watching - he's ever so slightly drifting towards the ball carrier rather than watching his man. Unfortunate lapse in concentration, but for a player that hasn't kicked a football (bar 60 minutes of u23s a week or so ago) you would assume there was always going to be some rust to shake off. Not to mention two new full backs either side of him won't be making things easier.

All in all I'm thoroughly happy with that performance. Dug in, came back from 2-1, at 2-2 we didn't try and protect the point, we tried to win the game. Smart save from Bentley to deny Shotton at the death.

It's the first Time this season I've really seen an effective midfield combination. Wing still trying to play himself into form but I think he was better today. McNair and clayton the two best players on the pitch.

For whatever reason the midfield was completely bypassed in the Last 3 games but they were very good today, at least from an attacking perspective.

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

Looks a bit like Fry got caught ball watching - he's ever so slightly drifting towards the ball carrier rather than watching his man. Unfortunate lapse in concentration, but for a player that hasn't kicked a football (bar 60 minutes of u23s a week or so ago) you would assume there was always going to be some rust to shake off. Not to mention two new full backs either side of him won't be making things easier.

I think sometimes defenders are told to take up that position on the edge of the six yard box at the near post side so it's possible he is just doing what he's been asked to do.  If there's only one man to mark though I think you have to go with him rather than worrying about defending a particular area or zone.  With the first goal, Palmer clearly isn't his man and there are a couple of City players for him to keep an eye on.  If anything , Wing leaves Palmer to go by himself.  As I said in the previous post, if opposition midfielders are getting into our box then our midfielders need to track them.  Being critical of our defending is fair enough but that defending starts higher up the field than the two central defenders and people need to bear that in mind.

It’s also very important/pleasing that the performance was a good one and was positive. 

The fans were starting to lose a bit of interest and optimism from the season, and had we had another Blackburn performance, things could have started to look really negative. 

After today, fans are happy and personally I now have some optimism for the season again, as today showed we can really compete against the better teams. UTB

Positive performance throughout the team going into the international break.

Don't want to be too harsh on what I thought was a decent recent, but defensively we are so exposed because we play so narrow from the front three and unless they track back then we are always going to invite pressure.

McNair and Johnson were excellent throughout and I actually didn't for a change think that shotton had a bad game.

Our game play is going to be based on controlling a game and unfortunately I don't think we are good enough to do that.

Thought Britt was a handful which was refreshing to see and long may that continue.

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

I think sometimes defenders are told to take up that position on the edge of the six yard box at the near post side so it's possible he is just doing what he's been asked to do.  If there's only one man to mark though I think you have to go with him rather than worrying about defending a particular area or zone.  With the first goal, Palmer clearly isn't his man and there are a couple of City players for him to keep an eye on.  If anything , Wing leaves Palmer to go by himself.  As I said in the previous post, if opposition midfielders are getting into our box then our midfielders need to track them.  Being critical of our defending is fair enough but that defending starts higher up the field than the two central defenders and people need to bear that in mind.

Don't know if you saw the post game with Woodgate on Sky or not but he said essentially that space doesn't score goals and to mark the man, so he was incredibly frustrated with both goals. 

The first you may well be right, I can't remember exactly whose man Palmer was, only there wasn't a white shirt in sight!