oneBoro Forum

Boro v Bristol City (A) 2-2 (Moore (og) Assombalonga)

On 8/31/2019 at 2:29 PM, BillinghamBoro said:

*board pessimist coming through* 

Enjoyed that game really did. Good goal for Britt and still felt sorry for the Bristol centre half for slicing through his own net. 

Played well going forward but goodness me we are horrendous at the back, needs sorting out asap. 

Dijksteel looks uncomfortable still, but he might grow in to the team after time. 

Remember that Dijksteel has just 29 league appearances at RB, and just 43 in total. He has only been a pro for 2 seasons and only really a regular starter for half a season. He is very, very raw. More so than Bola who at least went through the Arsenal academy, Dijksteel came through non-league AFC Amsterdam and then via Nike Academy before entering the pro game.

• Like 1
  • Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all and welcome to the first audio match day thread of the season. Please see the attached mp3 file for the opening post (as long as it works...)   ttsMP3.com_VoiceText_2019-8-26_12_

???

Harsh to be losing but you can't give away free headers like that, poor, poor defending. Really enjoyed a lot of our play today, think pretty much everyone going forward has been great.

Posted Images

On 8/31/2019 at 2:31 PM, BoroSmoggie said:

Ayala is a huge player for us, I doubt we’d have conceded either of them goals if he was playing. 

The question is do we drop Shotton who’s played well last two games, or Fry who was at fault for both goals today? I presume Shotton, but it would almost be a bit harsh now. 

Long term Fry and Ayala is a promotion partnership at the back.

Bola.....Fry.......Ayala.......Shotton

job done

From memory I thought Britt was offside though. Yes the last touch came off their defender but wasnt he in an offside position when the first pass was played? It would be different if Britt was in an 'offside' position and snuck onto a dodgy backpass as thats come from an opposition player but surely he was active from Claytons (?) ball over. Id be furious if it was a goal againsy us. About time we got lucky.

I gotta watch it again now!

2 minutes ago, ChipBarrington said:

From memory I thought Britt was offside though. Yes the last touch came off their defender but wasnt he in an offside position when the first pass was played? It would be different if Britt was in an 'offside' position and snuck onto a dodgy backpass as thats come from an opposition player but surely he was active from Claytons (?) ball over. Id be furious if it was a goal againsy us. About time we got lucky.

As long as Moore deliberate heads the ball .. Assombalonga could be standing next to the goalkeeper without ever being offside! ?

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, ChipBarrington said:

Doesn't matter. If the defender makes a deliberate attempt to play the ball, it negates the offside. You're not considered active at the point the pass is made.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Brunners said:

Doesn't matter. If the defender makes a deliberate attempt to play the ball, it negates the offside. You're not considered active at the point the pass is made.

The argument could be made that Britt being in an offside position forces Moore to have to try and make a play on the ball (given that at the time he doesn't know if Britt is offside or not) therefore Britt was active and influencing play.

10 minutes ago, Will said:

The argument could be made that Britt being in an offside position forces Moore to have to try and make a play on the ball (given that at the time he doesn't know if Britt is offside or not) therefore Britt was active and influencing play.

Given Moore was a fair bit away from Britt, and wasn't actually facing him, I'm not sure he really knew he was there, let alone in an offside position. I doubt he'd have headed in his path if he did, though it doesn't look like he had too much control on the direction of it.

I think it's a rule that's always going to be controversial though, as you're almost always going to gain a slight advantage by being offside even if you're not active.

Edited by TeaCider24
17 minutes ago, Will said:

Thats my view. How is a striker not active when he is running free towards goal with the ball coming over the top to him with 2 defenders trying to prevent that and by trying, idadventantly played him onside by nature of the law. Such a stupid murky sey of rules.

Maybe soon we will have defenders on the other side of the pitch not classed as active

I just want to echo what others have said really.

I was happily surprised with the performance overall against a team who may well be up challenging at the top this year. I agree with the comments about the weakness at the back and I think more confidence and more clinical finishing is needed in attack too but overall I was happy to see a game and performance from Boro that excited me.

Here's hoping Boro can improve on that.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Will said:

The counter-argument is that he's not concerned with Britt as he doesn't know where he is, he just wants to head the ball back in the direction of the attacking players. In that situation, Britt's position holds no weight at all as he's not challenging for the ball. It certainly looked either way like the player tried to play the ball forward, got underneath it and got it wrong.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/style-over-substance-only-last-16850509.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Interesting comments here from Andy Hinchcliffe regarding our new style. He's saying pretty much what I was thinking on Saturday. 

Although its refreshing to see us playing positively we still need to get points on the board, its early days so there's no need to panic but our current point haul isn't good despite an easy set of fixtures. Against better teams I wonder whether we might need to be less open or be more controlled in the way we play. 

Think there's a fine line at the moment between us being an entertaining mid table team or a cavalier bottom 6 side. 

31 minutes ago, Duvel said:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/style-over-substance-only-last-16850509.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Interesting comments here from Andy Hinchcliffe regarding our new style. He's saying pretty much what I was thinking on Saturday. 

Although its refreshing to see us playing positively we still need to get points on the board, its early days so there's no need to panic but our current point haul isn't good despite an easy set of fixtures. Against better teams I wonder whether we might need to be less open or be more controlled in the way we play. 

Think there's a fine line at the moment between us being an entertaining mid table team or a cavalier bottom 6 side. 

I'm not worried yet. As you say, it's early days. I mentioned that we'll play better sides than Bristol City away from home so it'll be interesting to see how we approach those games. Will we go for it Fulham away in January? We probably will Leeds away regardless but it's by the time you'd hope our team will have settled a bit more at the end of November. West Brom away the last game before the new year is another worth thinking about in that regard. Will that attitude earn us anything? We shall see.

As for less open teams, I also said we still need to figure out how to unlock them and just as importantly, defend against their direct threats.

Still, I've very little fear of anything bad happening this season right now. Still January to come and good players will be targeted and may have their heads turned by teams challenging at the top so we'll see how we deal with that but I think we should be comfortably mid-table at least by January.