oneBoro Forum

Boro v Bristol City (A) 2-2 (Moore (og) Assombalonga)

25 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

Well we did better than I thought. Lots of positives, and now we have time to improve on the training pitch. 

Agree...I had the result until that last minute Brain fart

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all and welcome to the first audio match day thread of the season. Please see the attached mp3 file for the opening post (as long as it works...)   ttsMP3.com_VoiceText_2019-8-26_12_

???

Harsh to be losing but you can't give away free headers like that, poor, poor defending. Really enjoyed a lot of our play today, think pretty much everyone going forward has been great.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, ChipBarrington said:

Thats my view. How is a striker not active when he is running free towards goal with the ball coming over the top to him with 2 defenders trying to prevent that and by trying, idadventantly played him onside by nature of the law. Such a stupid murky sey of rules.

Maybe soon we will have defenders on the other side of the pitch not classed as active

Why try to stop the ball when he was obviously offside.  No trust in the officials? 

I think it's just smart play from Britt, he reads the situation well and sniffs out the possibility of the defender either heading it back to the keeper or mishitting it.

He's nowhere near the defender and doesn't challenge for the ball so I can't see how it's offside, lets say the defender didn't go for it, the offside would only be called when Britt makes a play for it, if they were both to leave the ball in that situation then no offside would be called. Think the officials got it spot on.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Birdie said:

Why try to stop the ball when he was obviously offside.  No trust in the officials? 

I mean to be fair, you should always play to the whistle unless it's a bad injury the officials haven't noticed.

Trusting officials to make the right calls in each moment and blow the whistle when you yourself feel a call should be made is a recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

Good point and more than I had hoped for. Just seen the highlights and they were some poor goals to concede. Hopefully those gifts will be eradicated when Fry is back up to speed and Ayala is back in alongside him. Also with Bola and Dijksteel to still slot comfortably into the team. I was happy to read/see that we had some decent spells going forward and that we took the game to them at a very difficult venue. Plenty of positives but also plenty of work still to be done. The international break comes at a very good point with Fry returning and Ayala having a knock. We'll need to work hard during the play to get a better defensive unit. Already looking forward to the reading game at home. Hope we see some improvements. Shame we didn't beat Milwall as that would have made the season start decent, although currently it's a bit meh. I must admit I was hoping for a better points haul looking a relatively generous start regarding fixtures.

3 hours ago, Will said:

The argument could be made that Britt being in an offside position forces Moore to have to try and make a play on the ball (given that at the time he doesn't know if Britt is offside or not) therefore Britt was active and influencing play.

I do agree that that is a "fairer" rule, however it isn't the rule. He obviously headed it because he was concerned  that someone might run in behind. It's a little unlucky for him that he totally misheaded into Britt's path but that's just football

4 hours ago, Will said:

The argument could be made that Britt being in an offside position forces Moore to have to try and make a play on the ball (given that at the time he doesn't know if Britt is offside or not) therefore Britt was active and influencing play.

Absolutely. Moore doesn't know if there's a full back on his blind side playing Britt on. All he knows is that Britt has just made a good run in behind and is danger of heading in on goal. Moore has to play the ball. The offside rule has been a nonsense for years. It's clearly open for abuse. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Will said:

Also doesnt matter. Whether you consider it fair or not is another argument, but the law doesnt consider the defender knowing about your position as you being active.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Also doesnt matter. Whether you consider it fair or not is another argument, but the law doesnt consider the defender knowing about your position as you being active.

...and so it shouldn't because you are asking refs to mind read at this point. That would be totally unenforceable.

Whats worrying about the goals we conceded is that we could easily have conceded another 2 - one was a great save by Rando and the other hit the post, both headers. Now Bristol do score a lot of headers (3rd most in the league over the last year) but still thats very poor defending from us. Ayala would have been more aggressive in going for those balls but Shotton doesnt read the game that well and Fry is a bit more passive also, plus coming back up to match speed. 

just watching the highlights back and noticed a bit of a oddity building up to their first goal. we clear the ball and as they are having position again out wide our defense is in a nice line. but then what happens their lads all push forward again and i can see shotton looking and 3/4 bristol lads unmarked lining up just off the defense. the ball comes in we are swamped and nobody is marking at all in the middle of the goal with 2/3 lads totally free for the header central position just outside the 6 yard area. the midfielders wing is ball watching, mcnair is on the guy trying to cross clayton drifts closer to the ball near post ish. fletcher is running in but to late to mark them. britt is out the way upfront and johnson is in a forward position ten yards ahead of the crosser guess marking a guy incase its recycled back.

my conclusion is we are very sloppy and slow to get organised, if ayala plays central i dont think we concede that goal. shotton sees all this happening as the left cb and you cant really see him booting off about marking. bola is heading back to the lb spot and fry and dijksteel nearside. not one of us takes command in the middle there its a right mess. very poor. seeing as shotton sees all this happening and its his responsibility as the senior pro to sort that out. trying not to single him out but f me, if it was me i'd know it was my fault there. fry turns round as the ball passes him and looks shocked as he heads it in. and throws his arms up in disgust. he clearly didnt know they were all there so who'd communicating to everyone. shotton and bola see it all and do nothing just hold a line leaving them free . we need a better cb and a bigger lad in cdm spot who can also help in that area, all our midfielders and midgets, we are vulnerable from crosses thats for sure.

their second, when seeing it initially i thought fry's fault all day long, but when watching it again, he is marking space near post. if he follows the lad he'd leave a huge gap if the fullback is skinned so maybe he was actually doing the right thing defensively. its behind him that i see another problem shotton is to far behind him leaving a big gap for baker to get in and score from the cross. 

look like we need to get a grip in the defense because we have players running free all over. not enough ownership just lots of pointing fingers when it goes in again. mind you it was a great cross. i think the first goal was really bad, the second just bad lol 

given time we will get better due to the new players and system but atm its still a work in progress organisation wise. which is what is costing us. long term we need better players to push on.

• Like 1

The second goal is on fry still for me even more so after listening to woodgate. Space doesnt score goals, mark your man. Woodys words. Plus, for me, it seems odd that he would go mark front post space and not be aware of whether anyone else could pick up Rowe or not.

But still, he will be rusty can't expect a perfect game straight away!

• Like 1

yep seen the interview afterwards, fry, wing, clayton all marking space. others were but these were the real obvious ones. bola needs to get tighter on his man to. it will come good i think if the problems are so obvious to us then surely its easy to fix on the training pitch.