Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
boro-unger

Boro v Bristol City (A) 2-2 (Moore (og) Assombalonga)

Recommended Posts

Hoping we can sneak a win. But realistically I think a draw is a good result.

Bristol City have themselves a handy championship side and are coming on the back of a 3 game winning streak. Other than last season I can't remember us having much success away at Bristol.

I'm going for a 2-1 loss. Hope I'm wrong though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have brought this up on previous match day threads but do others like myself feel we look a better team with Coulson playing?

Ok perhaps defensively he still has some work to do, as clearly seen by every other Boro defender display thus far, but all of the better attacking options and movement does seem to have Coulson as the originator.

Also with regards to the same player would you be ok with him starting in a midfield/wing like position once fully fit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really sure how much I agree, despite his charges forward, we've not scored a single goal because of him in his two league games. None of the 3 versus Luton were, the missed penalty was but people disagree whether it was a penalty or not, and the 2 wrongly disallowed goals against Brentford weren't either 

I think Bola looks better defensively, but doesn't have the same sort of attacking drive, not sure which I'd prefer starting and I feel Coulson would be better further up the pitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think he fits the mould of an attacking full-back which is what Woodgate wants. He's comfortable on the ball, he likes to get at players but he's still a full-back. I don't particularly want to see another case of Joe Bennett, who we pushed into midfield because he was more attacking a full-back than Jonathan Grounds (as well as other things). Particularly because it will mean dropping either Fletcher or Johnson to do it and I don't think either of them deserve that on the merit of their early season displays. We know he won't drop Britt and I'm not entirely sure now whether I would either.

Give him chance to learn from his defensive mistakes. He's a great young left-back of the ilk we want to see. He'll excite and frustrate but he works his bloody socks off to recover from losing the ball too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a sad reflection on our mismanagement in recent seasons when the consensus of opinion says we'll be beaten. And I agree - despite being a smaller club with no PL pedigree, BC are streets ahead of us in terms of signings and recent performances.

I think we will lose 2-1 if we play 4 at the back, but we could draw with a 5. I hope it's not a walkover for BC, not least as it's live on telly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough fixture and hard to feel positive about getting a result here... I wonder if 3-5-2 and playing on the counter is the best plan. Would hate to see us stuffed on TV. 

Hoping to see more of an attacking plan from Woody this week... some signs that we're actually targeting a weakness in their team or playing to a strength of our own. Starting attacking players isn't enough, and we're not good enough to just trade punches with teams and hope we're the ones left standing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we will see a very similar game here than our opening fixture against Luton. I can see BTTS but optimistic it will be a closer game than people are feeling and don't see a 3/4-0 against us result. 

I'll go for a bias view of 3-2 to Boro with a Britt double (1st being a penalty he finally gets the confidence to score) and Johnson netting the 3rd. 

Who says we cant keep positive ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

It's a sad reflection on our mismanagement in recent seasons when the consensus of opinion says we'll be beaten. And I agree - despite being a smaller club with no PL pedigree, BC are streets ahead of us in terms of signings and recent performances.

I think we will lose 2-1 if we play 4 at the back, but we could draw with a 5. I hope it's not a walkover for BC, not least as it's live on telly.

Bristol City are by no means a smaller club than us. And premier league pedigree counts for nothing outside the premier league. They have a billionaire owner that laid down a clear plan about 6/7 years ago of what they want to achieve. They’ve stuck with a good young manager even when it looked bad and they were facing the relegation places. Their recruitment is light years ahead of ours and when they do reach the promised land of which I have no doubt they will in the next 3/4 years  they will be set up much better than we were to deal with it. 

We could learn a lot off the field from Bristol City and come Saturday I think they’ll teach us a little bit on it too 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

They've finished above us once this century, in 2009/10, and have been relegated to League One since then.

Their clear plan from 6-7 years ago has yet to bare any fruit. It might yet, but I don't think they'll finish in the play-offs this season. Far too consistently inconsistent.

Edited by TeaCider24

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Bristol City are by no means a smaller club than us. And premier league pedigree counts for nothing outside the premier league. They have a billionaire owner that laid down a clear plan about 6/7 years ago of what they want to achieve. They’ve stuck with a good young manager even when it looked bad and they were facing the relegation places. Their recruitment is light years ahead of ours and when they do reach the promised land of which I have no doubt they will in the next 3/4 years  they will be set up much better than we were to deal with it. 

We could learn a lot off the field from Bristol City and come Saturday I think they’ll teach us a little bit on it too 

Depends what defines a 'small' or 'big club'? Crowds, player total value, positions in league, recent history? Based on majority of that I wouldn't say they are a bigger club than us as things stand today. Possibly could say they stand with higher potential than us today. 

As for the Billionaire owner, they still have to fall under FFP rules, and if he put this plan in-place 6-7 years ago and yet they are still only seen as a play-off/mid-table team, I'd argue how successful that has been (granted its during the time they got promoted in 2015/2016 season) 

I must also state I do feel they are in a positive position, often play attractive football and certainly generate/pay the right amount for players so generally a club who see themselves as in a decent and stable position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, FamilyBoro said:

Depends what defines a 'small' or 'big club'? Crowds, player total value, positions in league, recent history? Based on majority of that I wouldn't say they are a bigger club than us as things stand today. Possibly could say they stand with higher potential than us today. 

As for the Billionaire owner, they still have to fall under FFP rules, and if he put this plan in-place 6-7 years ago and yet they are still only seen as a play-off/mid-table team, I'd argue how successful that has been (granted its during the time they got promoted in 2015/2016 season) 

I must also state I do feel they are in a positive position, often play attractive football and certainly generate/pay the right amount for players so generally a club who see themselves as in a decent and stable position. 

I 100% agree that many things constitutes a big club. However 5 years ago they were league 1. But now with the stadium rebuild and investment in their academy which is considerable (I know this as my son was there for 7 years and saw it transform into a development centre into a cat1 academy)   The recent success of academy products joe Bryant and Bobby Reid would class as a success in my book. An average attendance of 21,000 which is well up year on year they are a club in the ascendancy. So that agrees with your potential remark. 

I would argue that they are pretty much on a par with us, but as you alluded too heading in a better direction than us. 

My main reason for the initial response was that we are a bigger club than Bristol but I’m sorry but I just don’t see it  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Uwe said:

I 100% agree that many things constitutes a big club. However 5 years ago they were league 1. But now with the stadium rebuild and investment in their academy which is considerable (I know this as my son was there for 7 years and saw it transform into a development centre into a cat1 academy)   The recent success of academy products joe Bryant and Bobby Reid would class as a success in my book. An average attendance of 21,000 which is well up year on year they are a club in the ascendancy. So that agrees with your potential remark. 

I would argue that they are pretty much on a par with us, but as you alluded too heading in a better direction than us. 

My main reason for the initial response was that we are a bigger club than Bristol but I’m sorry but I just don’t see it  

Agree certainly very close to being on par today with a club years ago we would all 100% agree we were much bigger than. As you said equal now to youth players, stadium, academy etc. We are passing them as we have declined while they are matching/passing us on the incline , obviously that means their camp is likely to be much more positive and rightly so. 

All in all should be a good test on Saturday and hopefully one that doesn't show us miles apart on the pitch. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted this in the Boro flashback thread but just for optimism sake I think I can post it here too 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's going to be a tough game especially with Bristol city set too sell out Ashton Gate having won their last 3. However this is the sort of game especially with it being on TV for Woody to make a statement that Boro will be in the promotion mix with a win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to be a tough one but I think we'll eek out a surprise win, 2-1 in this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Latest Posts

    • Getting Leo back was a joke the moment it was announced, it was so obvious why the club went for him. Someone posted on here that we wanted him back as keeper coach but he refused so we just offered first team coach job, if that’s true then it’s even worse. If one thing does my head in as much as our local obsession it’s our equally bad obsession with former employees. Even our one target for DoF job was an ex employee. If we had got round in then that would have gave us a management team of 6, of which 4 being former players/coaches. Its maddening how small our pool of options always seems to be, if there are rumours of a new ‘exciting’ backroom appointment you can almost guarantee it will be some uninspiringly boring ex/local.
    • we need a short term fix definitely. Like when Terry Venables came in to steer us clear. 
    • Definitely seems like Woodgate isn't cut out for it. But he's also not helped by his ridiculous backroom staff either, all equally as inexperienced in their roles as he is in his. And what on earth is Leo doing back? I'm sorry, I know his chest beating is popular with a lot of fans, but it just smacks of desperation from Gibson to appease the fans to me. 
    • Gibbo's preparing to fold the club up. That's the only logical explanation. The January window will be interesting...
    • Gibbos new estate is looking nice anyway.  Should distract him from this shower of *** club performance
×
×
  • Create New...