Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

NFL talk 21


Recommended Posts

I have tried repeatedly - and failed miserably - to make any sense whatsoever of American Rugby. Only Americans would invent a game where the ball is controlled primarily with the hands and call it football!

They also like to make fun of soccer and how we can spend 90 minutes watching a game that ends 0-0.

But they can spend 4 hours watching a game that stops every few seconds, while the teams form up for a new set piece, or because one of the coaches calls a time out, or wants to basically swap their team over. It just does my head in! 

I'm just happy that they're equally baffled by cricket and think its some weird Limey version of baseball (another sport that makes no sense to me at all).

 

 

Edited by AnglianRed
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This just highlights how bad Spence positional play really is 🤷‍♂️

Of Antonio Brown? God damn man, where to start. Here are a number of things that he's done, mostly this off season but a couple date back to prior years. 1. Wants out of Pittsburgh - makes i

This is for those of us who follow the NFL! Join in by telling us which team you support!  I have been supporting Tampa Bay Buccaneers for 18 years, and that has been really bad for the last 15

Posted Images

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

Every time I think about the NFL structure, instead of trying to understand it, I just think of this clip from Baseketball:

 

Still one of my favourite films of all time.

8 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I have tried repeatedly - and failed miserably - to make any sense whatsoever of American Rugby. Only the Americans would invent a game where the ball is controlled primarily with the hands and call it football!

They also like to make fun of soccer and how we can spend 90 minutes watching a game that ends 0-0.

But they can spend 4 hours watching a game that stops every few seconds, while the teams form up for a new set piece, or because one of the coaches calls a time out, or wants to basically swap their team over. It just does my head in! 

I'm just happy that they're equally baffled by cricket and think its some weird Limey version of baseball (another sport that makes no sense to me at all).

American Football can take a little to get into; but once you do it's fascinating to watch. It's essentially a chess match on the field, with defences trying to work out what offences are doing and vice versa. 

There is a stupidly large amount of ad breaks though, it's very annoying. There's only 60 minutes of actual game time but a game will last usually 3+ hours. 

Baseball though, I don't know how that makes no sense, baseball is very easy to understand! Boring, but easy!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

I have tried repeatedly - and failed miserably - to make any sense whatsoever of American Rugby. Only Americans would invent a game where the ball is controlled primarily with the hands and call it football!

They also like to make fun of soccer and how we can spend 90 minutes watching a game that ends 0-0.

But they can spend 4 hours watching a game that stops every few seconds, while the teams form up for a new set piece, or because one of the coaches calls a time out, or wants to basically swap their team over. It just does my head in! 

I'm just happy that they're equally baffled by cricket and think its some weird Limey version of baseball (another sport that makes no sense to me at all).

 

 

Pretty simple tbh, the ball is (roughly) a foot long

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brunners said:

Still one of my favourite films of all time.

American Football can take a little to get into; but once you do it's fascinating to watch. It's essentially a chess match on the field, with defences trying to work out what offences are doing and vice versa. 

There is a stupidly large amount of ad breaks though, it's very annoying. There's only 60 minutes of actual game time but a game will last usually 3+ hours. 

Baseball though, I don't know how that makes no sense, baseball is very easy to understand! Boring, but easy!

You see that makes perfect to read sense. When you are talking about a game you get all Americanised. You use words like garbage and totally and oh my god. Words you never use in real life or when talking about the Boro. I think that’s my biggest gripe about this nfl thread

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Blanco said:

You see that makes perfect to read sense. When you are talking about a game you get all Americanised. You use words like garbage and totally and oh my god. Words you never use in real life or when talking about the Boro. I think that’s my biggest gripe about this nfl thread

I use the terms garbage, totally and oh my god all the time in real life 🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Brunners said:

I use the terms garbage, totally and oh my god all the time in real life 🤣

Fair enough 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Blanco said:

Fair enough 😂

Especially garbage. When talking about something being bad, saying something is rubbish just sounds...I don't know, not as impactful? 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do use those words in real life

e.g.

Betty-Nelly was totally garbage for that cross. Oh my God he dropped it again

Easy

🤣

The thing about NFL is what Brunners said about the chess match. I've been a fan since the early 80's and figure I know about most of it but I think there is another level of understanding that you only get from playing the game, which is something I haven't done. Some of the calls puzzle me and the commentators though..

One of the reasons that Football/Soccer is getting more popular in the US is that they are finally realising that it doesn't take a whole lot of expense to play the game - the US will eventually get really good at it due to physical attributes and fitness levels.

I quite like Baseball but Basketball is well hmmmm...

The game breaks are used to go and top up your beer and snacks BTW.

Great if you are at a game live but also in the house!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

I have tried repeatedly - and failed miserably - to make any sense whatsoever of American Rugby. Only Americans would invent a game where the ball is controlled primarily with the hands and call it football!

They also like to make fun of soccer and how we can spend 90 minutes watching a game that ends 0-0.

But they can spend 4 hours watching a game that stops every few seconds, while the teams form up for a new set piece, or because one of the coaches calls a time out, or wants to basically swap their team over. It just does my head in! 

I'm just happy that they're equally baffled by cricket and think its some weird Limey version of baseball (another sport that makes no sense to me at all).

 

 

Cheers for that. Just wasted almost an hour watching NFL fans react to rugby. 😂😂😂

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Will said:

Pretty simple tbh, the ball is (roughly) a foot long

Ah, I see.

Yeah - American ft-ball just looks wrong, doesn't it? 

Or even worse - American '-ball...

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uwe said:

Cheers for that. Just wasted almost an hour watching NFL fans react to rugby. 😂😂😂

Lmao!

I can just imagine the gasps of horror...

"Where are the helmets and padding?"

"Why don't they have time-outs?"

"Why aren't the end zones all brightly painted in the team colours?"

"Where are the cheerleaders and half time show?"

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it's worth, Rugby players occasionally try and become NFL players. I can't remember if one has ever become a starter though? I know the Bills have a former Rugby Union player called Christian Wade on their practice squad atm.

Lots of Australia Rules Football players going over to be punters and kickers as well.

1 hour ago, Snake said:

I do use those words in real life

e.g.

Betty-Nelly was totally garbage for that cross. Oh my God he dropped it again

Easy

🤣

The thing about NFL is what Brunners said about the chess match. I've been a fan since the early 80's and figure I know about most of it but I think there is another level of understanding that you only get from playing the game, which is something I haven't done. Some of the calls puzzle me and the commentators though..

One of the reasons that Football/Soccer is getting more popular in the US is that they are finally realising that it doesn't take a whole lot of expense to play the game - the US will eventually get really good at it due to physical attributes and fitness levels.

I quite like Baseball but Basketball is well hmmmm...

The game breaks are used to go and top up your beer and snacks BTW.

Great if you are at a game live but also in the house!

Yeah I've "only" been a fan since about 2008, and I learn new stuff every single week. Especially with how terrible the officiating is; I learn new rules that they've got wrong literally every game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Brunners said:

For what it's worth, Rugby players occasionally try and become NFL players. I can't remember if one has ever become a starter though?

I know Jarryd Hayne (Rugby League) gave it ago a few years ago and I think he actually played a few NFL games. Not 100% if he did actually play in the NFL or if it was like the Wade situation.

Problem is, both games are so different, Rugby players are conditioned to perform over 80 minutes. NFL is near enough maximum effort in short 15/20 second bursts. It's incredibly hard to go from one to the other, as one requires aerobic fitness the other quite often anaerobic.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I know Jarryd Hayne (Rugby League) gave it ago a few years ago and I think he actually played a few NFL games. Not 100% if he did actually play in the NFL or if it was like the Wade situation.

Problem is, both games are so different, Rugby players are conditioned to perform over 80 minutes. NFL is near enough maximum effort in short 15/20 second bursts. It's incredibly hard to go from one to the other, as one requires aerobic fitness the other quite often anaerobic.

I always thought that Adama Traore would have made a great rushing back or punt return specialist

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I know Jarryd Hayne (Rugby League) gave it ago a few years ago and I think he actually played a few NFL games. Not 100% if he did actually play in the NFL or if it was like the Wade situation.

Problem is, both games are so different, Rugby players are conditioned to perform over 80 minutes. NFL is near enough maximum effort in short 15/20 second bursts. It's incredibly hard to go from one to the other, as one requires aerobic fitness the other quite often anaerobic.

Looks like he played in 8 games but mostly special teams.

They also have the issue of learning a game from scratch at 27-30 that everyone else has been learning since childhood, so they're way behind the curve.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Latest Posts

    • Hi, sorry I've been busy with work the past few days. Probably easier if Marvin throws something together. Sorry about that!
    • We've signed decent players, sure. But whens the last time we signed a player, got something out of them and they went on to play at a higher level due to his time with us? I'm really struggling to think of any since we've been relegated. Which is pretty damning in itself
    • In fairness and on reflection, we have actually signed some good players in recent times . I think the problem is either getting the best out of them OR playing these players in positions and systems which don’t fit them so that they under perform. I’ve said it before but I really really hope that who ever we sign actually fits into 2 formations that we are aiming to play. If we sign Jordan Rhodes and play him up front again I’ll flip 🤣 and it will show we haven’t learnt from our mistakes. 
    • It was inclusive of the end of his Boro career, surrounding the contract situation which stopped Pulis from starting him, even bringing him on in the first half on occasion. He said something along the lines of having a gentleman's agreement for a new contract that led him to waiving the automatic increase to his salary so he could play again... then the new contract never came. This is the podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/stewart-downing-experience-we-chat-about-ups-downs/id1484297592?i=1000503117188
    • Thanks Marcus good of you to offer but hopefully we will see one very shortly

×
×
  • Create New...