oneBoro Forum

Upgrading the oneBoro web server

Hi,

Over the past couple of transfer windows, we've seen a bit of downtime during times of high traffic and as such, I feel like we're letting the community down for this.

So I'm using the quiet period of the international break to look to move hosting providers to something a bit more robust, which can (hopefully) deal with the spikes in traffic.

If you notice any unexpected downtime over the next couple of weeks, it'll likely be linked to the move over to the new server, with this completed by the time we host Reading on the 14th.

I'll keep you posted on progress and if you have any questions, let me know ?

• Like 10

Rob your tireless work behind the scenes is as always appreciated (even if we don’t always know you’re doing it) ??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quick update on this, still all in progress and the updated config files are all good.

The new server won’t be in place for this weekend, but hopefully all set up and ready to go in the next few weeks!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

As we're now in another international break, now seems a good time to try and action the server migration. I'll be looking to perform the migration along with installing the latest updates this week - so there may be periods of downtime when the forum offline.

Any issues, feel free to message or email.

• Like 1

Is it possible to add the ability to mute/ignore threads? 

I'm sick of that NFL thread that I have to click into each time in order to have the boro forum show as all caught up (read). Maybe thats a tad OCD of me, but I recall a few others were also bothered by it. 

• Like 3

That does come in useful when it's threads on other topics. However, this thread does come under another topic but is situated in the main Boro sub-forum. I get that people say they won't look at it if it's not there but it frankly seems daft to have sub-forums at all if people aren't going to use them. Also a bit obsessive I guess but the NFL thread does seem pretty popular enough to survive on its own.

6 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

That does come in useful when it's threads on other topics. However, this thread does come under another topic but is situated in the main Boro sub-forum. I get that people say they won't look at it if it's not there but it frankly seems daft to have sub-forums at all if people aren't going to use them. Also a bit obsessive I guess but the NFL thread does seem pretty popular enough to survive on its own.

I don't think it would. barely anything outside the main forum lives, except maybe the predictions thread and even that regularly needs reminders in this forum to get people to post in it. 

The sub forums are practically all dead zones. Last post in any of them (bar the predictions one) was what, October 8th? And that is solely the joke thread - before that you're looking at mid september last posts.

I find it amazing that I've spent all this time just marking threads as read when I don't want to read them and thinking that was the normal thing to do, when apparently what I should have been doing is complaining about the threads I'm not interested in.

15 hours ago, Brunners said:

I don't think it would. barely anything outside the main forum lives, except maybe the predictions thread and even that regularly needs reminders in this forum to get people to post in it. 

The sub forums are practically all dead zones. Last post in any of them (bar the predictions one) was what, October 8th? And that is solely the joke thread - before that you're looking at mid september last posts.

I find it amazing that I've spent all this time just marking threads as read when I don't want to read them and thinking that was the normal thing to do, when apparently what I should have been doing is complaining about the threads I'm not interested in.

Then why are there sub-forums at all? Like DZ said, get rid of them. The predictions league got moved out into its own and people doing it complain they don't see it until a random thread pops up in here asking to remind people about it. What's the difference between that and this NFL one?

You're a mod Brunners and you're saying the sub-forums don't work, perhaps you lot should discuss that and find out why it doesn't work and if it just doesn't, abandon it altogether.

Makes zero sense to sit in the middle when the only basis for doing so is to keep the place tidy and free of non-relevant threads, the thing that people on our side of the fence are saying it doesn't. Because apparently one thread is important enough to go against the rule, despite people saying it doesn't feel tidy to them.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Then why are there sub-forums at all? Like DZ said, get rid of them. The predictions league got moved out into its own and people doing it complain they don't see it until a random thread pops up in here asking to remind people about it. What's the difference between that and this NFL one?

You're a mod Brunners and you're saying the sub-forums don't work, perhaps you lot should discuss that and find out why it doesn't work and if it just doesn't, abandon it altogether.

Makes zero sense to sit in the middle when the only basis for doing so is to keep the place tidy and free of non-relevant threads, the thing that people on our side of the fence are saying it doesn't. Because apparently one thread is important enough to go against the rule, despite people saying it doesn't feel tidy to them.

it has been under discussion and will continue to be so, I'm sure, but changes don't happen overnight. I'll raise the point again and see what direction we should go in moving forward. 

All I'm saying is, over the years there's been plenty of threads that aren't of any interest to me, it's not the hardest thing in the world to just ignore them, read everything you want then mark the forum read. At the very least until we can discuss this further, people really just need to accept and acknowledge that they're going to have to compromise.